View Poll Results: Should We Abolish The NEA?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, replace it with nothing.

    23 34.85%
  • Yes, privatize it.

    8 12.12%
  • Yes, localize it and let the states handle it.

    4 6.06%
  • No, keep it.

    22 33.33%
  • No, but it needs strong reforms.

    6 9.09%
  • Other

    3 4.55%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 155

Thread: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

  1. #71
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Lets dump everything that has ever inspired anyone (like NASA) so we can eventually become a nation of uninspired robots.
    Lets. I am game. As far as the robot quip, you underestimate your fellow countryman by quite a lot. We haven't had a lot of these agencies and quite frankly excelled just fine without them.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  2. #72
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,490
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The anti-intellectuals will never control the USA, their stupidity, which they are proud of, is their biggest handicap.
    I love it. You're right, there's pride involved, like the lowest common denominator is an elite position. Which, come to think of it...
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  3. #73
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    I find art offensive. Just like some people find The Nativity offensive. Since some places ban Nativity scenes we should ban all art.

  4. #74
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    If you really care about "the arts", fund them yourselves. The arts I care about have nothing to do with the NEA, but through my consumption they are maintained.

    Besides, it is nowhere to be found in the Constitution. It is comical to suggest so.

    It is also comical to suggest that paying for this agency is more important than balancing the budget. Charles Pinckney proposed the federal government fund the arts at the Constitutional convention, and he was soundly rebutted.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  5. #75
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Lets dump everything that has ever inspired anyone (like NASA) so we can eventually become a nation of uninspired robots.
    Is it best to have government based on limited functions like protecting people, or one based on funding whatever people like (redistribution)?

    I find the reduction of individual preference to be very uninspiring. And there is something to be said for forcibly taking as little money from people as possible.

    (As for NASA, I would keep the military component and dump the fantasy component. Private industry is stepping up in that area anyway.)
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    If we were running a surplus that would be one thing. We are not so, dump it. Though on general principles it ought to be dumped anyhow. Its not the governments place to fund that.
    Says it all for me.

  7. #77
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I find art offensive. Just like some people find The Nativity offensive. Since some places ban Nativity scenes we should ban all art.


    I find you offensive. Maybe we should just ban you, since the vast majority enjoys art.

    What do you think about that idea?




    "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen."
    ~ Tommy Smothers

  8. #78
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    If you really care about "the arts", fund them yourselves. The arts I care about have nothing to do with the NEA, but through my consumption they are maintained.

    Besides, it is nowhere to be found in the Constitution. It is comical to suggest so.

    It is also comical to suggest that paying for this agency is more important than balancing the budget.
    Charles Pinckney proposed the federal government fund the arts at the Constitutional convention, and he was soundly rebutted.


    Charles Pinckney has been dead and buried for a long time, but those who oppose his ideas are not all dead. Yet.

    The NEA will outlive all of them.

    Wait and see.

  9. #79
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Is it best to have government based on limited functions like protecting people, or one based on funding whatever people like (redistribution)?

    I find the reduction of individual preference to be very uninspiring. And there is something to be said for forcibly taking as little money from people as possible.

    (As for NASA, I would keep the military component and dump the fantasy component.
    Private industry is stepping up in that area anyway.)


    You're not running the U.S. government and I doubt that you ever will be.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Should The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) Be Abolished?

    The NEA should have been dissolved a long time ago. It's another example of a federal creature that is not authorized by anything in the Constitution, meaning that creating it was an an illegitimate exercise of government power.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •