View Poll Results: Should the US Arm & Train the Syrian Rebels?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and why

    1 2.08%
  • No and why not

    41 85.42%
  • I don't know

    5 10.42%
  • Gooooosfrabra.

    1 2.08%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 129

Thread: Should the US Arm and Trian the Syrian Rebels?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mays Lives View Post
    First off, I don't think we should concern ourselves with the form of government they take in Syria. It's none of our business. As long as they are not threatening our assets, respecting our embassy, and playing nice diplomatically whether they have a sharia compliant form of government or not is none of our concern.
    Yep, which is the way things were for us in Syria all along.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #72
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    If I have my numbers right, there is around 5,000 Syrian moderates that we will be equiping and training. They are up against 30,000 man ISIS and the whole Syrian army estimated at 250,000 men. That is not too good of odds. At least those are the numbers the CIA released.
    And those five thousand US armed and trained so-called moderates will end up joining the Islamic State, watch!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should the US Arm and Trian the Syrian Rebels?

    Arm them and disarm us. Sounds like a plan.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    If I have my numbers right, there is around 5,000 Syrian moderates that we will be equiping and training. They are up against 30,000 man ISIS and the whole Syrian army estimated at 250,000 men. That is not too good of odds. At least those are the numbers the CIA released.
    Well like I have shown.....theres 50k in Syria. 30k in Iraq. Also the Syrian Rebels with the Largest force 25k fighters has made a pact with ISIS.

    According to Agence France-Presse, ISIS and a number of moderate and hard-line rebel groups have agreed not to fight each other so that they can focus on taking down the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Other sources say the signatories include a major U.S. ally linked to the Free Syrian Army. The deal between ISIS and the moderate Syrian groups casts doubt over President Barack Obama's freshly announced strategy to arm and train the groups against ISIS. The AFP report cited information from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a U.K.-based group monitoring the Syrian civil war, which said parties to the agreement "promise not to attack each other because they consider the principal enemy to be the Nussayri regime." The term Nussayri refers to the Alawite ethnic group that Assad and many of his supporters belong to. AFP said the agreement was signed in a suburb of the Syrian capital, where ISIS has a strong presence.

    Charles Lister, a fellow at the Brookings Institution's Doha Center, cited a report from the anti-regime Orient Net website to suggest on Twitter that the signatories of the ceasefire include a U.S.-backed coalition called the Syrian Revolutionary Front. According to the U.K.-based outlet Middle East Eye, that same Orient Net report says the ceasefire between groups described in the U.S. as "moderate rebels" and the Islamic State was mediated by the al-Nusra Front, al Qaeda's affiliate in Syria. This news suggests that partners will be hard to find. Lister said the pact is a product of failed U.S.-led Western policy in Syria."This underlines serious frustration w. lack of US-backing to [Free Syrian Army] opposition in fight vs Assad," he tweeted. If true, Landis said, the news of a ceasefire proves Washington does not know who it can support or trust within the fractured country.....snip~

    ISIS Strikes Deal With Moderate Syrian Rebels: Reports

    This is what we discussed about it here.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...s-reports.html

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should the US Arm and Trian the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    This where I'm torn on this issue, and am not really sure where to be. In the US, we've had our fair share of crazies as well. The first and more prominent that come to mind is the KKK. There was a point in time in this country where they had a dominant influence in American politics. The peak being back in the early 1900's when you had that huge march of their's on DC. But as time moved along, we eventually came to realize as a society just how hateful that organization was.

    Attachment 67173075

    I'd like to think the same could happened in the ME. But the problem is, that I don't believe it would occur until after we suffered another attack on the homeland, or at the very least Israel was burning.

    Well the difference with these crazies.....they are spreading and we already know they are working with AQAP and al Nusra which was another like the Ansar al Sharia groups. Whom they have recognized both Boko Haram and those in Benghazi with their Emirate. Which of course.....they will pledge fealty to ISIS.


    After Syria and Iraq, Islamic State makes inroads in South Asia.....

    Islamic State pamphlets and flags have appeared in parts of Pakistan and India, alongside signs that the ultra-radical group is inspiring militants even in the strongholds of the Taliban and al Qaeda. Al Qaeda's ageing leaders, mostly holed up in the lawless region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, are increasingly seen as stale, tired and ineffectual on hardcore jihadi social media forums and Twitter accounts that incubate potential militant recruits. Security experts say Islamic State's increasing lure may have prompted al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri to announce the establishment of an Indian franchise to raise the flag of jihad across South Asia, home to more than 400 million Muslims.

    Signs of Islamic State's influence are also being seen in Kashmir, the region claimed by both India and Pakistan and the scene of a decades-long battle by militants against Indian rule. Security officials in Indian-held Kashmir say they have been trying to find out the level of support for the Arab group after IS flags and banners appeared in the summer. Intelligence and police sources in New Delhi and Kashmir said the flags were first seen on June 27 in a part of the state capital Srinagar, and then in July when India's only Muslim-majority region was marking Islam's most holy day, Eid al-Fitr.....snip~

    After Syria and Iraq, Islamic State makes inroads in South Asia


    Bo and his Team, already classified AQAP as the most dangerous of all their branches. They need to up the game covertly.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And those five thousand US armed and trained so-called moderates will end up joining the Islamic State, watch!
    I think you are right on that. Then that will leave the reconstituted Iraqi Army as the Kurds are not going to roam very far from their own home territory. Another possibility this administration is missing is Assad's army. I know the president is dead set on Assad's ouster which I think is a mistake. But before all this is done and over with, this administration will have to either determine which force, ISIS or Assad is the lesser of two evils. Which if one survives would be less a threat to the U.S. I know my answer.

    I personally would rather leave Assad in power and be rid of ISIS. Assad at least would rule over a stable Syria, he may be a bastard of the least worst kind, but he is better than an ISIS caliphate.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well like I have shown.....theres 50k in Syria. 30k in Iraq. Also the Syrian Rebels with the Largest force 25k fighters has made a pact with ISIS.

    According to Agence France-Presse, ISIS and a number of moderate and hard-line rebel groups have agreed not to fight each other so that they can focus on taking down the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Other sources say the signatories include a major U.S. ally linked to the Free Syrian Army. The deal between ISIS and the moderate Syrian groups casts doubt over President Barack Obama's freshly announced strategy to arm and train the groups against ISIS. The AFP report cited information from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a U.K.-based group monitoring the Syrian civil war, which said parties to the agreement "promise not to attack each other because they consider the principal enemy to be the Nussayri regime." The term Nussayri refers to the Alawite ethnic group that Assad and many of his supporters belong to. AFP said the agreement was signed in a suburb of the Syrian capital, where ISIS has a strong presence.

    Charles Lister, a fellow at the Brookings Institution's Doha Center, cited a report from the anti-regime Orient Net website to suggest on Twitter that the signatories of the ceasefire include a U.S.-backed coalition called the Syrian Revolutionary Front. According to the U.K.-based outlet Middle East Eye, that same Orient Net report says the ceasefire between groups described in the U.S. as "moderate rebels" and the Islamic State was mediated by the al-Nusra Front, al Qaeda's affiliate in Syria. This news suggests that partners will be hard to find. Lister said the pact is a product of failed U.S.-led Western policy in Syria."This underlines serious frustration w. lack of US-backing to [Free Syrian Army] opposition in fight vs Assad," he tweeted. If true, Landis said, the news of a ceasefire proves Washington does not know who it can support or trust within the fractured country.....snip~

    ISIS Strikes Deal With Moderate Syrian Rebels: Reports

    This is what we discussed about it here.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...s-reports.html
    This portion says it all:

    "This underlines serious frustration w. lack of US-backing to [Free Syrian Army] opposition in fight vs Assad," he tweeted. If true, Landis said, the news of a ceasefire proves Washington does not know who it can support or trust within the fractured country.....snip~
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #78
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I believe we should arm and train the Syrians and anybody else in the area that so desires, for a price why should they get such valuable knowledge and equipment for free. If they got cold hard cash we have available time and goods.
    If we give them nukes, perhaps they will glass themselves hmm?

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    If we give them nukes, perhaps they will glass themselves hmm?
    Ya know.........

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    If we give them nukes, perhaps they will glass themselves hmm?
    As attractive as that option sounds, it would be bad for us economically. They have resources we could use and radiating the area would hinder our collection of those resources.

    I firmly believe our coalition should be one of occupiers. Walk in, destroy anything that even looks like it is dangerous and then pillage the place for its wealth and resources. Leave behind a crater for them to spend the next century crawling out of. Let them focus so much on survival that they haven't the time to squabble over religious difference let alone turn an eye toward harassing us.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •