View Poll Results: Should the US Arm & Train the Syrian Rebels?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and why

    1 2.08%
  • No and why not

    41 85.42%
  • I don't know

    5 10.42%
  • Gooooosfrabra.

    1 2.08%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 129

Thread: Should the US Arm and Trian the Syrian Rebels?

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,271

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Today, Congress is determining if we should give funds to Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels. So that they can fight ISIS. The Problem is the Syrian Rebels are not able to be trusted. They have used Chems and all they care about is removing Assad. Even their top commanders are all for a government that would be acceptable With Sharia Law.

    They will say and do anything to get backing and assistance.....they have also pledged against the US. At least 29 opposition groups. While it is understandable to have the need to take on ISIS. This is a mistake waiting to Happen. What say ye?
    Hey M, one HUGE problem I see with the plan as reported is that it virtually invites the murder of our "trainers" by infiltrators in the ranks of the Syrian Rebels.
    That s**t already went on everywhere we've been and with the uncertain nature of the rebel ranks it can easily get much worse.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's what stumps me as well. If its oil, that backfires because production in Libya has dropped from 1.3 million barrels a day under Gaddafi to just 300,000 now. Syria's not a big oil producer, but some have claimed a oil/gas line through Syria to the EU that Assad wouldn't go for???
    Hmm. This may sound far fetched. But doesn't Russia now supply most or quite a portion of the natural gas used in Europe? Oil too I suppose. Now if a pipeline through Syria to Europe would give the Europeans another means or supplier to obtain their oil and natural gas. Now with Assad and Putin being friends...

    I don't know any of this, it just popped into my mind when I read your post.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Hmm. This may sound far fetched. But doesn't Russia now supply most or quite a portion of the natural gas used in Europe? Oil too I suppose. Now if a pipeline through Syria to Europe would give the Europeans another means or supplier to obtain their oil and natural gas. Now with Assad and Putin being friends...

    I don't know any of this, it just popped into my mind when I read your post.
    Well certainly Putin would want, and Russia needs to remain the primary supplier to the EU. But! As Russia's ally, it makes sense that Syria wouldn't agree to a pipeline through their country that would harm Russia, and what's wrong with that. But now then, I can think of plenty that would be wrong with the US removing president Assad to accommodate that.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #104
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well certainly Putin would want, and Russia needs to remain the primary supplier to the EU. But! As Russia's ally, it makes sense that Syria wouldn't agree to a pipeline through their country that would harm Russia, and what's wrong with that. But now then, I can think of plenty that would be wrong with the US removing president Assad to accommodate that.
    So can I. It is my opinion that the forced removal of Assad would leave Syria worse off than Libya and probably with a government much more anti-American than Assad's. Syria would be home to an Islamist Republic and most likely become a training ground for terrorist worldwide to do their thing for their god. Namely destroy all infidels and people who do not believe as they do.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    So can I. It is my opinion that the forced removal of Assad would leave Syria worse off than Libya and probably with a government much more anti-American than Assad's. Syria would be home to an Islamist Republic and most likely become a training ground for terrorist worldwide to do their thing for their god. Namely destroy all infidels and people who do not believe as they do.
    That's it right there Pero!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #106
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    So can I. It is my opinion that the forced removal of Assad would leave Syria worse off than Libya and probably with a government much more anti-American than Assad's. Syria would be home to an Islamist Republic and most likely become a training ground for terrorist worldwide to do their thing for their god. Namely destroy all infidels and people who do not believe as they do.
    Totally agree! As I've posted before, Assad may be a bastard, but his people like him - who are we to want him removed? Just because some crazy rebels want to take the majority back to the stone age doesn't mean we have to help them do it! Sheesh! : Does Obama want WW3?

  7. #107
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    This is like asking, "should the US train and arm its future enemies"...

  8. #108
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Realistically, I think the window for this program to work well has closed. We had an opportunity and chose instead to hope that the problem would just sort of solve itself.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Totally agree! As I've posted before, Assad may be a bastard, but his people like him - who are we to want him removed? Just because some crazy rebels want to take the majority back to the stone age doesn't mean we have to help them do it! Sheesh! : Does Obama want WW3?
    No, I don't think he does. But on the other hand I do not think he thinks. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take a good gander at Syria and all that is happening nowadays to realize that Assad is probably our best hope for some sense of stability in the region. We may not like him and he may not like us, but a stable Syria is a whole lot better than what is likely to follow. My opinion anyhow.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should the US Arm and Train the Syrian Rebels?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Hey M, one HUGE problem I see with the plan as reported is that it virtually invites the murder of our "trainers" by infiltrators in the ranks of the Syrian Rebels.
    That s**t already went on everywhere we've been and with the uncertain nature of the rebel ranks it can easily get much worse.


    Mornin' B. That is one of those problems that come with these associations. But the Saud assures us if they are trained in Saudi Arabia. We should be aww'ight.

    House passed the funding with both parties' members being all over the place. Today the Senate takes up the issue. It's expected to pass.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •