View Poll Results: Should DC Become the 51st State?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 21.52%
  • No

    60 75.95%
  • Other

    2 2.53%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 225

Thread: Should DC Become the 51st State?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    It's partisan hackery. You want to deny statehood and representation to DC residents simply because you presume they would vote Democrat and you don't like that.
    Actually, I support adding DC to Maryland and giving them voting rights that way. I oppose adding another state because that would mean more individuals will be elected with democratic socialist ideology. If however they join Maryland it won't change much of anything since they pretty much already vote that way. If you really think I'm not going to look after my own interests then well you're wrong. My interests are my freedoms, and I will do what I must to protect them. In this case that means opposing statehood for DC.

  2. #62
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    How about we not use a blatantly immoral and authoritarian tactic to force people out of their homes?
    Sure but this is the FED we're talking about. And since when is our government moral and non authoritarian?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #63
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Why not? The founders had a huge debate about it and came to a compromise to satisfy both small and large states. Came to a compromise each state will get 2 senators no matter what the size and population, and each state will get a number of representatives in proportion to their population....


    Classes in Math may be of help:

    Size of Washington DC: 68 sq miles

    Size of Smallest of the 13 colonies Rhode Island: 1212 sq miles.

    So a small urban area---only 5% of the size of the smallest state is in need of full Statehood and two Senators?

    What was that you were saying about equality and fairness?
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Actually, I support adding DC to Maryland and giving them voting rights that way. I oppose adding another state because that would mean more individuals will be elected with democratic socialist ideology. If however they join Maryland it won't change much of anything since they pretty much already vote that way. If you really think I'm not going to look after my own interests then well you're wrong. My interests are my freedoms, and I will do what I must to protect them. In this case that means opposing statehood for DC.
    Well you can be that way all day long, it still makes you a partisan hack.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sure but this is the FED we're talking about. And since when is our government moral and non authoritarian?
    Our government is immoral and it is authoritarian, but that does not mean we should grant it the power to do even more immoral and authoritarian things.

  6. #66
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Our government is immoral and it is authoritarian, but that does not mean we should grant it the power to do even more immoral and authoritarian things.
    My suggestion doesn't give them anything they don't already have. While it is immoral and authoritarian it fits in with their current views and it solves problems to boot. It's not the best solution but it's different than what's been discussed so far.


    Yes I'm playing devils advocate... just in case anyone was wondering.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #67
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,523

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Not really. You don't have the right to deem who can vote or not based on arbitrary "responsibility" you think they may or may not have.



    Felons, after they have served their time, should be allowed to vote. I once again point out that it is not your right to decide who is and is not "responsible" enough to vote.
    I'm glad you think a convicted murderer should vote, but most of us don't and that's why most can't. It's not up to me personally but society and I think if you look at DC's voting history they are clearly not responsible enough as a community to vote. We as society does get to decide who votes and who doesn't, no matter which mass murder or child rapist you think should be able vote.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Well you can be that way all day long, it still makes you a partisan hack.
    I'm a business owner and I would like to open a school one day, and guess what democratic socialists hate more than anything? I'm not a hack, but someone that opposes an ideology that stands in opposition to me. I have all the reason in the world to want them to stay the hell away from government.

  9. #69
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Why not? The founders had a huge debate about it and came to a compromise to satisfy both small and large states. Came to a compromise each state will get 2 senators no matter what the size and population, and each state will get a number of representatives in proportion to their population....


    ^^^^^^

    Says the guy who wants to dismantle the US Constitution.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    A tiny plot of land like DC doesn't need the power of having 2 senators. If they want more representation, then they should be allowed to vote for senators as part of the socialist state of Maryland.

    Also, the nation as a whole would benefit by not having two Marion Barry's whoring and doing coke while serving on the Senate.
    DC has a larger population than Vermont and Wyoming. Want to take their Senators away as well?
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •