View Poll Results: Should DC Become the 51st State?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 21.52%
  • No

    60 75.95%
  • Other

    2 2.53%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 225

Thread: Should DC Become the 51st State?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Roll your eyes if you want, but I really don't want more democratic congressmen or another state like Maryland.
    So your big reason for not wanting to grant DC statehood and give DC residents proper representation in the federal government is based purely on your partisan hackery.

    Nice.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I was just stating the obvious. But thanks for confirming the basis of your effort here.
    I disagree with you, therefore I'm Democrat apparently.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    I'm all for democracy but just like Egypt, DC has proved they are not ready to make responsible choices
    You are in no position to decide what choices are "responsible" or not. The point of a democracy is everyone gets a choice, regardless of what the others think of that choice.

    Should we bump all the southern states out of the union because I don't think their voting habits are responsible? Should we just refuse to let those I deem "irresponsible" vote?

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    So your big reason for not wanting to grant DC statehood and give DC residents proper representation in the federal government is based purely on your partisan hackery.

    Nice.
    Partisan hackery? Ah no, it's based on my understanding of democratic socialist ideology and what it means to my freedoms.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Partisan hackery? Ah no, it's based on my understanding of democratic socialist ideology and what it means to my freedoms.
    It's partisan hackery. You want to deny statehood and representation to DC residents simply because you presume they would vote Democrat and you don't like that.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    You are in no position to decide what choices are "responsible" or not. The point of a democracy is everyone gets a choice, regardless of what the others think of that choice.

    Should we bump all the southern states out of the union because I don't think their voting habits are responsible? Should we just refuse to let those I deem "irresponsible" vote?
    There is a difference between having an ideological difference and continuing to elect a known drug addict to office. We don't allow felons to vote because they have made choices so bad they have shown they don't have the capacity to make a responsible vote, DC is no different.

  7. #57
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    A tiny plot of land like DC doesn't need the power of having 2 senators.
    Why not? The founders had a huge debate about it and came to a compromise to satisfy both small and large states. Came to a compromise each state will get 2 senators no matter what the size and population, and each state will get a number of representatives in proportion to their population....

    If they want more representation, then they should be allowed to vote for senators as part of the socialist state of Maryland.


  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    There is a difference between having an ideological difference and continuing to elect a known drug addict to office.
    Not really. You don't have the right to deem who can vote or not based on arbitrary "responsibility" you think they may or may not have.

    We don't allow felons to vote because they have made choices so bad they have shown they don't have the capacity to make a responsible vote
    Felons, after they have served their time, should be allowed to vote. I once again point out that it is not your right to decide who is and is not "responsible" enough to vote.

  9. #59
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    How about a different spin: The Fed's use eminent domain and claim a portion of DC's land. Everyone who's unfortunate enough to be affected must live outside of the newly created lines. The land left over is equally distributed to the bordering states. No one in DC proper now can "live" there. No businesses can operate in DC proper - in other words remove any ability for non government workers to live or do business of any kind. Hotels will not operate in this newly drawn area either - hotels must operate outside of the DC lines.

    This solves lots of problems - no taxes inside DC so no taxation without representation. No new 51'st state required - DC stays intact albeit smaller. Increase of taxes to the surrounding states as more people and businesses will be moved into them given the new state lines.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    How about a different spin: The Fed's use eminent domain and claim a portion of DC's land. Everyone who's unfortunate enough to be affected must live outside of the newly created lines. The land left over is equally distributed to the bordering states. No one in DC proper now can "live" there. No businesses can operate in DC proper - in other words remove any ability for non government workers to live or do business of any kind. Hotels will not operate in this newly drawn area either - hotels must operate outside of the DC lines.

    This solves lots of problems - no taxes inside DC so no taxation without representation. No new 51'st state required - DC stays intact albeit smaller. Increase of taxes to the surrounding states as more people and businesses will be moved into them given the new state lines.
    How about we not use a blatantly immoral and authoritarian tactic to force people out of their homes?

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •