View Poll Results: Should DC Become the 51st State?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 21.52%
  • No

    60 75.95%
  • Other

    2 2.53%
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 225

Thread: Should DC Become the 51st State?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,807

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Because residents of DC don't have representation in Congress.
    Technically, with the Electoral College, all of us can be victim of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,921
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    That makes sense to me. And if Maryland doesn't want it so be it. Those who choose to live in DC choose to do so knowing they won't have privileges of statehood. There are states within minutes of where they live where they could move if it is important to them. The last time I looked Maryland was mostly a blue state and Virginia is still thought of as a red state. So the people in the 'no man's land' in between even have an ideological choice. But it is ridiculous that DC is even a city, let alone being made a state.
    Virginia is at least purple, went for Obama in the last two presidential elections, they have 2 Democratic Senators and a Dem Governor. But being purple still gives those who wish to move their a choice between the ideologies. It is not hard core anything.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Well I do not take any pleasure from the fact that I annoy you.
    You don't annoy me though.

    Why are you so intellectually dishonest?

  4. #164
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Why is this change necessary?
    Because they have no representation.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #165
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Recently the Senate heard arguments for Washington DC to become the 51st state. Only two members of the Senate heard the arguments. In your opinion do you think Washington DC should become the 51st state in the Union?


    Congress takes up bill to make D.C. the 51st state
    DC is supposed to be kind of a neutral area. Maybe the residential areas can be absorbed by the surrounding states.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #166
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    DC is supposed to be kind of a neutral area. Maybe the residential areas can be absorbed by the surrounding states.
    Precisely. DC was crafted deliberately to not be a state by the same people who actually fought the war over the taxation-representation-thing, and for good reason.

  7. #167
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know if they'd get an extra congressman, the number is well set and if DC is included into Maryland, then it should be distributed as nominal. They may end up with an extra congressman, but it's population based.

    Regardless, I just don't think DC deserves to be a State in and of itself. I understand the representation argument, but statehood is a bit too much.
    I'm pretty much of the same mind. If anything I'm more sympathetic to making Puerto Rico a state.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #168
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,317

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Just have one of the ****ty blue states annex it. It will fit right in. Maybe Marion Berry can be the new governor.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    DC residents are taxed without representation in Congress. The same type of situation, in fact, that started the revolutionary war. I say yes, turn DC into the 51st state so that the 645,000 DC residents actually have representation in their federal government.
    That's all we need two crackhead Senators and a couple of crackhead Congressmen.

    BTW: Of the 645,000 DC residents, how many actually pay individual income taxes ?

  10. #170
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should DC Become the 51st State?

    No but I would support DC residents the option of choosing between being legal citizens of Virginia, Maryland or the state of their birth for the purposes of voting for potus, us senators and governor.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •