View Poll Results: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upon it becoming public knowledge.

    0 0%
  • Upon indictment/charges filed.

    1 3.70%
  • Upon conviction.

    20 74.07%
  • Other. (Please elaborate)

    6 22.22%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Ryan Rice, Adrian Peterson, someone else, take your pick. Goes for athletes, actors, politicians, anybody famous and/or in the public eye. Those who have allegedly done unacceptable acts to other people, and their heads are being called for. But slow down for a second... when **SHOULD** we be punishing people who do these things?

    1) Upon it becoming public knowledge.
    2) Upon indictment/charges filed.
    3) Upon conviction.
    4) Other

    Also, is consistency important? If we pick one of the above, should we be consistent for every incident? Or, does the presence of varying evidence (i.e.: video vs hearsay vs verbal accusation, etc.) make a difference?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ryan Rice, Adrian Peterson, someone else, take your pick. Goes for athletes, actors, politicians, anybody famous and/or in the public eye. Those who have allegedly done unacceptable acts to other people, and their heads are being called for. But slow down for a second... when **SHOULD** we be punishing people who do these things?

    1) Upon it becoming public knowledge.
    2) Upon indictment/charges filed.
    3) Upon conviction.
    4) Other

    Also, is consistency important? If we pick one of the above, should we be consistent for every incident? Or, does the presence of varying evidence (i.e.: video vs hearsay vs verbal accusation, etc.) make a difference?
    1) nothing should happen
    2) Suspension should happen
    3) Termination should happen
    4) Other.. that would seem to be plea bargain, ie admitting some level of guilt, hence termination should happen.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #3
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,331

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    If we're talking about a business and its image, even arrest can harm that image. A private business is not required to wait for the courts in reacting to an employee harming the business's image. In fact, people can do things that are not even crimes and a business can choose to fire them in the interest of maintaining an image.

    If we want to be pissy about business freedom, I suppose a business could wait until conviction or undeniable evidence.




    I like how racists are all "businesses should be allowed to conduct economic warfare against a sub-population by denying service based upon race or gender!"

    And the same scumbags are all "a business should not be allowed to fire someone!"

    What happened to that all-powerful right to association in the second instance?
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-15-14 at 02:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ryan Rice, Adrian Peterson, someone else, take your pick. Goes for athletes, actors, politicians, anybody famous and/or in the public eye. Those who have allegedly done unacceptable acts to other people, and their heads are being called for. But slow down for a second... when **SHOULD** we be punishing people who do these things?

    1) Upon it becoming public knowledge.
    2) Upon indictment/charges filed.
    3) Upon conviction.
    4) Other

    Also, is consistency important? If we pick one of the above, should we be consistent for every incident? Or, does the presence of varying evidence (i.e.: video vs hearsay vs verbal accusation, etc.) make a difference?
    I picked #2 as that is sufficient to take legal state action, but one must weigh the "punishment" severity to that of the alleged offense. I assume that you meant a private employer and not the gov't itself.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I like how racists are all "businesses should be allowed to conduct economic warfare against a sub-population by denying service based upon race or gender!"

    And the same scumbags are all "a business should not be allowed to fire someone!"

    What happened to that all-powerful right to association in the second instance?
    Your mixing up the argument somewhat. They aren't saying they can't fire someone for being suspected of a committing a crime or being found guilty of one, but that they shouldn't. You might not be aware of this but when people says someone has a right to decide who they will commence in commerce with they are not saying they should discriminate, but that it shouldn't be outlawed. There is a difference.

  6. #6
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ryan Rice, Adrian Peterson, someone else, take your pick. Goes for athletes, actors, politicians, anybody famous and/or in the public eye. Those who have allegedly done unacceptable acts to other people, and their heads are being called for. But slow down for a second... when **SHOULD** we be punishing people who do these things?

    1) Upon it becoming public knowledge.
    2) Upon indictment/charges filed.
    3) Upon conviction.
    4) Other

    Also, is consistency important? If we pick one of the above, should we be consistent for every incident? Or, does the presence of varying evidence (i.e.: video vs hearsay vs verbal accusation, etc.) make a difference?
    Well - things are often outlined in contract. Each company should make their own choices and STICK TO IT.

    The problems come when companies include 'statements of ethics and morality' but do little to enforce it - only acting as such when they need to save face.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #7
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,331

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Your mixing up the argument somewhat. They aren't saying they can't fire someone for being suspected of a committing a crime or being found guilty of one, but that they shouldn't. You might not be aware of this but when people says someone has a right to decide who they will commence in commerce with they are not saying they should discriminate, but that it shouldn't be outlawed. There is a difference.
    Morons claim ones right to association means a public-access business can discriminate against customers... but not employees. How stupid is that?

  8. #8
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,151

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ryan Rice, Adrian Peterson, someone else, take your pick. Goes for athletes, actors, politicians, anybody famous and/or in the public eye. Those who have allegedly done unacceptable acts to other people, and their heads are being called for. But slow down for a second... when **SHOULD** we be punishing people who do these things?

    1) Upon it becoming public knowledge.
    2) Upon indictment/charges filed.
    3) Upon conviction.
    4) Other

    Also, is consistency important? If we pick one of the above, should we be consistent for every incident? Or, does the presence of varying evidence (i.e.: video vs hearsay vs verbal accusation, etc.) make a difference?
    You mean 'punish' as in not be their fan any longer?
    If you mean legal punishment, why are they different from anyone else?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Morons claim ones right to association means a public-access business can discriminate against customers... but not employees. How stupid is that?
    Sigh.

  10. #10
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: When SHOULD we punish famour people for their transgressions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post




    I like how racists are all "businesses should be allowed to conduct economic warfare against a sub-population by denying service based upon race or gender!"

    And the same scumbags are all "a business should not be allowed to fire someone!"

    What happened to that all-powerful right to association in the second instance?
    Ummm........it was overwhelmed by a tsunami of hypocrisy?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •