View Poll Results: Basic truths we all agree on (feel free to vote on more than one truth)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Criminals need to go to jail and serve their time.

    20 55.56%
  • Once we are born, life has undeniably begun

    27 75.00%
  • Nukes should be used as a last option, if an option at all.

    25 69.44%
  • The national debt is rising, and should be falling

    22 61.11%
  • Earth is important, and destroying it should be avoided.

    29 80.56%
  • People who are capable of working (mentally, physically) should be working or trying to find work.

    26 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Basic Truths

  1. #11
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,153

    Re: Basic Truths

    I selected all of them as truths, in my opinion and using my definition of "true".

  2. #12
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: Basic Truths

    How do you see who voted, if it's a public poll?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    "Once we are born, life has undeniably begun"

    Someone actually didn't agree with this one? Some people are just argumentative.
    I'm pro-choice but even I believe that life starts before that.

    So I didnt vote yes on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #14
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Basic Truths

    Prison is expensive and doesn't turn criminals into good guys. Rehabilitation is a myth.

    Baby's are human from moment of conception.

    We should balance the budget. Pay down debt only in times of surplus.

    The threat of pre-emptive first strike is a deterrent. Relegating nukes to retaliatory only, or last resort, is worse than having none.

    We aren't destroying the planet. The IPCC is a political body with a political agenda. To gain control of worlds energy production, as part of a globalist strategy toward one world government. Don't believe their doomsday propaganda.

    What did I leave out?

    First create jobs for those who WANT to work. Later we can encourage the LAZY to look for a job.

    Covered all points.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  5. #15
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm pro-choice but even I believe that life starts before that.

    So I didnt vote yes on that.
    Which wasn't the question. "Once we are born" is the time frame. "Life has undeniably begun", which is not a statement of when you believe it begins, just a statement that is has begun by then. Unless you believe that life doesn't begin until sometime after birth.

  6. #16
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Which wasn't the question. "Once we are born" is the time frame. "Life has undeniably begun", which is not a statement of when you believe it begins, just a statement that is has begun by then. Unless you believe that life doesn't begin until sometime after birth.
    The question is misleading and infers more than your literal explanation.

    The inference is "doesn't begin until"
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  7. #17
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    The question is misleading and infers more than your literal explanation.

    The inference is "doesn't begin until"
    Misleading? What part of "once we are born" is misleading? Is there something sinister in the word born? Is there something in dispute about the word?

  8. #18
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Misleading? What part of "once we are born" is misleading? Is there something sinister in the word born? Is there something in dispute about the word?
    No, but more than one person saw the inference. Your literal explanation was correct, taken literally.
    In todays political controversies inference sometimes says MORE than the statement.
    Just an unhappy fact of modern life. I didn't select ANY of these "truths", because they don't accurately express my beliefs.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  9. #19
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Basic Truths

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    No, but more than one person saw the inference. Your literal explanation was correct, taken literally.
    In todays political controversies inference sometimes says MORE than the statement.
    Just an unhappy fact of modern life. I didn't select ANY of these "truths", because they don't accurately express my beliefs.
    Thank you for reinforcing my original point.

  10. #20
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Basic Truths

    I doubt that any basic truths can be expressed in a single sentence. Each of those (except, I suppose, the one about born people being undeniably alive) are much more complex concepts than the simple ideas presented here.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •