View Poll Results: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    13 19.40%
  • Negative

    30 44.78%
  • Other

    24 35.82%
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 419

Thread: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, had the U.S. increased support to Syria's sectarian elements, one might actually be dealing with a stronger ISIS, not a weaker one. In that case, the current dictatorship might have been sufficiently weakened to permit ISIS to take control of the entire country.

    On the point about building a coalition, Reuters reported:

    U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry pressed Arab leaders on Thursday to back President Barack Obama's new military drive against Islamic State, calling for tighter curbs on funding for militants and fewer extremist messages in Arab media.

    Meeting Arab leaders in the Saudi city of Jeddah a day after Obama announced his plans to strike fighters in Iraq and Syria, Kerry also sought permission to make more use of bases in the region and fly more warplanes overhead.


    Kerry presses Arabs to back campaign against Islamic State | Reuters

    IMO, these are things the President should have done before he finalized a strategy and before he gave his speech. In effect, he's asking the Arab leaders to accept a strategy in which they had little input and may not necessarily address their critical interests. Basic approach: Establish goals (with input), align support, then announce. What happened is that the President set a strategy before he aligned support, and then announced the strategy proclaiming a broad coalition which, in fact, does not yet exist.

    Finally, Russia has now weighed in. The same Reuters piece reported:

    The prospect of U.S. armed action in Syria also drew concern from Russia, which has backed Assad. In Moscow, the Foreign Ministry said air strikes in Syria would require a U.N. Security Council mandate or be considered an act of aggression, Interfax news agency reported.

    Given the precedent in Libya and announced increase in arms to sectarian groups in Syria, concern by Russia among other pro-Assad countries that there is a "backdoor regime change" component is not unreasonable, especially as no controls or mechanisms to preclude that outcome were mentioned. Considering that Arab support was not lined up in advance of the speech, my guess is that the U.S. never considered the possibility that Russia, Iran, and other Assad backers might have concerns and might also take measures of their own.


    Well Russia wasn't the only one DS.....but they do have a point as BO and team do want to get rid of Assad. But then from BO's speech and his calling it a 4 pronged attack. He talked about our allies are helping out with the Airstrikes in Iraq. Aid and Airstrikes.

    But now Syria.....that's a different story. Here from our #1 Strategic Ally.




    Britain’s foreign secretary says his country won’t participate in airstrikes on Syria, following an announcement from Washington that it would begin hitting targets inside the country.

    Speaking Thursday after talks with his German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Philip Hammond said Britain won’t be “revisiting” the issue after Parliament decided last year against participating in airstrikes.....snip~

    Britain: Won't take part in airstrikes on Syria


    Now Germany.


    The foreign ministers of Germany and Britain said on Thursday they would not be taking part in air strikes in Syria against the Islamic State militant group.

    German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told a news conference in Berlin that Germany has not been asked to take part in the air strikes and would not be participating. “To quite clear, we have not been asked to do so and neither will we do so,” Steinmeier said.....snip~

    Germany, Britain say won't take part in anti-IS air strikes in Syria | Reuters


    It looks as though BO, and his political team wrote a speech without building the necessary commitment from allies to allow them to be part of a united front on global security.

    Hows that in comparison with his Speech? If he didn't even talk with our closest allies before this speech. Where do you think that leaves him on the rest of his 4 prong attack?

  2. #182
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Its all BS. He's a pathological liar. Everyone knows whats in his cold commie heart. If you believe anything this guy says you're a fool.


    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It is apparent that you didn't listen to the speech at all. You may have had it on but you heard nothing the President said.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I see it as political theatre for the reasons presented above.

    This is about the mid terms more than it is about success on the battlefield. Your doubts about the ground forces are valid and more. The US has been trying to build an army in Iraq since they destroyed Saddam's and has not succeeded. The question must be asked what's different now?


    And the question need be asked 'who are in this coalition and what are their respective roles?'

    I am also concerned that he again has chosen to further the on-going war with congress by insisting he needs no authorization. The nation is weary and more from this internal war. I would have gained some respect for him had he, finally, chosen to sit down with congressmen on both sides of the aisle and allow at least the appearance of unity at home.
    All I can say is that if the horror of ISIS is not enough to get the Iraqi's to fight for their homeland I don't know what will. Meanwhile since ISIS is an ARMY we can stomp them real good from the air. Their tanks and heavy artillery will be toast real soon. They can run but they cannot hide tanks on the move.

  4. #184
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    All I can say is that if the horror of ISIS is not enough to get the Iraqi's to fight for their homeland I don't know what will. Meanwhile since ISIS is an ARMY we can stomp them real good from the air. Their tanks and heavy artillery will be toast real soon. They can run but they cannot hide tanks on the move.


    Despite overwhelming evidence already posted on this board over the last two weeks that an air war alone won't work, you say it will.


    OK
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well Russia wasn't the only one DS.....but they do have a point as BO and team do want to get rid of Assad. But then from BO's speech and his calling it a 4 pronged attack. He talked about our allies are helping out with the Airstrikes in Iraq. Aid and Airstrikes.

    But now Syria.....that's a different story. Here from our #1 Strategic Ally.




    Britain’s foreign secretary says his country won’t participate in airstrikes on Syria, following an announcement from Washington that it would begin hitting targets inside the country.

    Speaking Thursday after talks with his German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Philip Hammond said Britain won’t be “revisiting” the issue after Parliament decided last year against participating in airstrikes.....snip~

    Britain: Won't take part in airstrikes on Syria


    Now Germany.


    The foreign ministers of Germany and Britain said on Thursday they would not be taking part in air strikes in Syria against the Islamic State militant group.

    German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told a news conference in Berlin that Germany has not been asked to take part in the air strikes and would not be participating. “To quite clear, we have not been asked to do so and neither will we do so,” Steinmeier said.....snip~

    Germany, Britain say won't take part in anti-IS air strikes in Syria | Reuters


    It looks as though BO, and his political team wrote a speech without building the necessary commitment from allies to allow them to be part of a united front on global security.

    Hows that in comparison with his Speech? If he didn't even talk with our closest allies before this speech. Where do you think that leaves him on the rest of his 4 prong attack?
    LOL That's a hoot. Obama said very clearly that he will give ISIS no safe haven and now you are complaining? That's why Bush couldn't get Bin Laden, he refused to go into Pakstan without their approval. Are you saying Obama should not have pursued Bin Laden in Pakistan too? Do you think we are unable to mount airstrikes in Syria without help?

  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Despite overwhelming evidence already posted on this board over the last two weeks that an air war alone won't work, you say it will.


    OK
    Where is the evidence that we can't take out ISIS's heavy weapons from the air?

  7. #187
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I find it entertaining how people assume that Russia will be against any action against ISIS, when their ally in the ME (Assad of Syria) has been raging a civil war for the past couple of years. If there is to be an alliance against ISIS, one would assume Syria would be playing a big role. My question in all of this is how does this play into out support of the "good" rebels in Syria?

    Oh and if you are really going to talk about interference, keep in mind, Russia's the country that has been annexing parts of sovereign countries lately... not the US.
    "Annexing" "countries", lol. Exaggerate much. You still don't understand where Russia and China are in regards to US interference and regime change in the ME. Their articulated positions at the UN have missed you somehow.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #188
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    He's saying we're maintaining the status quo of continued meddling, interference, intervention, destabilisation, regime change, and general enforcement of chaos. And the defense contractors, Halliburton, KBR, etc., are grinning. Oh, and Russia and China, are forging ever closer.
    Greetings, Montecresto.

    Well said! We shouldn't be there at all, as the beheadings of Americans recently proved their hatred of us! If they think that killing and terrorizing their own people is the will of Allah, who are we to tell them their religion is wrong? No one wants to hear that - it's blasphemy to them. That's why one should never ever try to deal with religious fanatics, IMO. Didn't the Inquisition teach people anything?

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    And now, Russia is expressing concerns about a possible "backdoor regime change" effort in Syria. The Wall Street Journal reported:

    Moscow, which has long supported the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, suspects Washington would use such strikes to attack government forces, Mr. Lukashevich said. "There is reason to suspect that Syrian government forces could also come under fire with serious consequences for further escalation of tensions," he said.

    Europe and Asia Offer Mixed Support for Obama Plan on Islamic State - WSJ

    What this likely means is that one should not be surprised if Russia steps up its arms shipments to Damascus and possibly supplies the Syrians with its more advanced anti-aircraft systems, something it had previously refrained from doing.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Thoughts on Presidents Speech about ISIS and US Actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    We lost all meaningful intelligence in the area with our ill-advised withdrawal. It's no surprise our intelligence is lagging behind events, and this "late to the party" approach has been repeated by Obama time after time. Now we're going to arm the moderates? He has to be kidding. Where in the hell was he 3 years ago, when that very thing might have made a difference? Now we're more than likely going to end up supplying arms to our enemies, one way or the other. I'm glad he's doing something, but damn what a bonehead he is.


    Arming the MB Backed Rebels now.....training them and giving them weapons, so they can fight ISIL will allow them to take the fight to Assad. Which Iran will not go for that. Its Iran who has been arming the Shia in Iraq and putting together Militias. They already have played their games with the Nuke Talks. Plus now they see BO doesn't even have the backing of our closest allies. That he really doesn't want to deal with this problem.

    Which btw....did you hear Reid on the Senate floor talk about these terrorists? He is all for arming the and funding the MB backed Rebels.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •