View Poll Results: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008 or less successful?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm doing worse than I was in 2008.

    10 20.83%
  • I'm doing better than I was in 2008.

    30 62.50%
  • I'm doing about the same.

    8 16.67%
  • I don't what you are asking.

    0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

  1. #61
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    I'm in significantly better shape.

    Since 2008 I've paid off about $60,000 in student loans, gotten a promotion and a raise at work, bought a house, built up a good-sized emergency fund, and started saving for retirement.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Of course I am. I keep getting better all the time, regardless of who is in power. But that's because the things that are really meaningful to me, are independent of who is in political or economic power. And if someone is living a life where that is not the case, I would strong advise you to make adjustments such that it is the case.
    Do you have lots of money?

  3. #63
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I'm in significantly better shape.

    Since 2008 I've paid off about $60,000 in student loans, gotten a promotion and a raise at work, bought a house, built up a good-sized emergency fund, and started saving for retirement.
    Way to go, man! That sounds like you're a Ramsey-ite.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Are you more successful now than you were in 2008 or less successful?
    I'm doing better. But I don't think anything outside my person circumstance has much to do with it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Way to go, man! That sounds like you're a Ramsey-ite.
    Not really. I've got a lot of the same goals, but I don't exactly follow his methods.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #66
    Professor
    CrabCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,917

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    It depends on how you define success. If you define it based strictly on salary, then I am far less successful. However, that's not because I was fired or demoted or anything like that; it's because I chose to leave the corporate world behind to pursue things that matter more than money to me.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrabCake View Post
    It depends on how you define success. If you define it based strictly on salary, then I am far less successful. However, that's not because I was fired or demoted or anything like that; it's because I chose to leave the corporate world behind to pursue things that matter more than money to me.
    Which means that you're wealthy in a way that many people don't understand.

  8. #68
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Nope, and neither is Charleston.

    Every time I turn around, it seems like another store I used to frequent is closing down. There are whole strip malls around here that are completely deserted.
    I thought that Nikki Haley brought prosperity to Charleston with the Boeing plant.

    I also thought that she brought prosperity to Greenville/Spartanburg with the BMW expansion and the Amazon distribution center, but I noticed that the unemployment rate in my county has gone up three months in a row.

    Now I'm reading how the state has a $300 million dollar surplus that they want to invest in Wall Street, but can't find the money to repair our roads without a tax increase.

    Guess I was wrong about her, will have to vote for the democrat next time.
    Last edited by imagep; 10-25-14 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #69
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,581

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    I'm not really much better or worse off than in 2008. My business had a record year that year, despite a dramatic downturn in late fall. Sales have never recovered. However, we hunkered down and cut our staff, so I'm making just as much or maybe even a tad bit more, although I am working longer and harder to do it.

    The one think that I am better of in is the fear factor. By the fall of 2008 I was afraid that everything was going to collapse. I no longer have that fear, I just expect years more of stagnation - unless the far right wins the POTUS and both houses of congress in 2016, in which case I may become fearful again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #70
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Are you more successful now than you were in 2008?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Are you more successful now than you were in 2008 or less successful?
    About the same, though that's kind of misleading. Saying that doesn't take into account the HUGE dip between then and now. I had to work to get back up to where I was in 2008.



    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Seeing as how I don't really do much work these days, YES!!!!!!
    We can tell by the sheer volume of your posts.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •