View Poll Results: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztecs

    2 10.53%
  • Blackhawks

    1 5.26%
  • Braves

    1 5.26%
  • Chiefs

    1 5.26%
  • Illini

    3 15.79%
  • Indians

    2 10.53%
  • Redskins

    15 78.95%
  • Seminoles

    1 5.26%
  • (Fighting) Sioux

    2 10.53%
  • Warriors

    1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 151

Thread: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

  1. #101
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yes, freedom of speech - wonderful thing - it would be a principle to live by and fight for - funny how the American government decided to remove the Washington Redskin's name patent protection without cause, thus denying them their actual free speech rights.
    Link to the story?

  2. #102
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    For argument's sake, I believe your user name is offensive since it denotes papist oppression in my opinion and an affront to gender equality - it's extremely offensive. I might be in a minority of one, but only my opinion counts so you should change it.
    Fortunately for you there are rules against racist and hate language on this forum, so if you genuinely feel this way I would strongly suggest you take it up with the moderators.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And did they give a reason for the shift in their opinions? I'd like to see those polls, by the way.
    A 2004 National Annenberg Election Survey question on whether the name of the Washington Redskins is offensive to Native Americans is in the news amid renewed national debate over whether the pro football team should change its name. In a letter to fans published in the Washington Post on Wednesday, Oct. 9, team owner Daniel Snyder cited the survey as key evidence in support of the name. “The highly respected Annenberg Public Policy Center polled nearly 1,000 self-identified Native Americans from across the continental U.S. and found that 90% of Native Americans did not find the team name ‘Washington Redskins’ to be ‘offensive,’ ” Snyder wrote.

    http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...n-controversy/

    A recent study by the California State University, San Bernadino reports 67% of Native Americans find the Washington Redskins name and imagery racist.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler...l-slur#1e9uhmb
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your question is irrelevant at best, a red herring at worst. I'm not Native American so my opinion doesn't matter. In fact, no non-Native-American's opinion matters.
    Yet you came in and participated anyway. Your disapproval is hollow. Actions speak louder than words.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Whatchoo talkin bout, Willis?

    Attachment 67172639
    1 player? Is there another almost white sport out there?

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I think the OP is trying to see who here have fallen for the PC crap and who haven't.
    Pretty much. Some claim that only "Redskins" is offensive and needs to go. The implication being, of course, that they'd leave the other names alone. Some others, however, claim that ALL Indian-related names must go, that they are ALL offensive.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Link to the story?
    U.S. Patent Office cancels Washington Redskins trademark - ESPN
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We live in a society where one should be defined by their accomplishment, by their actions, by their character and not by the color of their skin.
    Are you saying that Indians, by being wholly incapable of holding their territory, are losers and as such undeserving of recognition by a sports team looking to portray a proud and/or fierce image?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    For argument's sake, I believe your user name is offensive since it denotes papist oppression in my opinion and an affront to gender equality - it's extremely offensive. I might be in a minority of one, but only my opinion counts so you should change it.
    And it is a bird, and I hate birds. That makes 2 of us.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Which of these Indian mascot/team names do you believe to be offensive?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Pretty much. Some claim that only "Redskins" is offensive and needs to go. The implication being, of course, that they'd leave the other names alone. Some others, however, claim that ALL Indian-related names must go, that they are ALL offensive.
    Here is what I find odd.

    The US government took action against the name Redskins. If the same group complained, for whatever reason, about the name of the state of Indiana, would the US government take action against the state?

    Their name is Indian related.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •