Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Imperialistic America

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm not there either.
    Last Seen
    10-05-14 @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16

    Imperialistic America

    Is america a modern imperialistic power? We have invade like 22 different country's in the last 20 years, and while there have been complaints and retaliation, we still do it.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Imperialistic America

    How many have we kept?

  3. #3
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    How many have we kept?
    To be fair annexation doesn't really follow the modern principles of imperialism. It's better defined as domination through political, economic, and/or military means.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  4. #4
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    Is america a modern imperialistic power? We have invade like 22 different country's in the last 20 years, and while there have been complaints and retaliation, we still do it.
    Colin Powell in 2003:

    "We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in, and otherwise we have returned home to seek our own, you know, to seek our own lives in peace, to live our own lives in peace. But there comes a time when soft power or talking with evil will not work where, unfortunately, hard power is the only thing that works."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    Is america a modern imperialistic power?
    We sure are.

    Did you have another question or is that the end of the thread?

  6. #6
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,291

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    How many have we kept?
    I don't remember the USA insisting on returning the copper to Chile as a result of Pinochet killing Allende to maintain IT & T hegemony of copper mining. I don't rightly recollect the USA trying to send the OIL back to Iran, after the CIA had Mossadegh killed, that we bought from the Shah of Iran for 12 cents per barrel and I'm probably foolish to think the "Banana Republics" of Latin America refunded to their laborer class their diminished wages by initiating governmental leadership changes for favorable management contracts for Rockefeller's United Fruit Corp. and the Libyans are rumored to be ecstatic now that they don't have to worry about free housing, free food, free water and free education through University level now that we killed that repressive Qaddaffi and we just tried to get control of East Ukraine's gas and energy assets so the working class in Donbass won't have to hire bookkeepers to keep track of their energy monies and the list is endless. It is always about bringing resources into the USA Corporate Network of hegemony. Not really all that complicated. We, USA Corporate, just keep all the money. We leave things like Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or to quote Putin, "Everything the USA touches turns into Libya." Gee, why would he say sumpin' like that, eh?

  7. #7
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't remember the USA insisting on returning the copper to Chile as a result of Pinochet killing Allende to maintain IT & T hegemony of copper mining. I don't rightly recollect the USA trying to send the OIL back to Iran, after the CIA had Mossadegh killed, that we bought from the Shah of Iran for 12 cents per barrel and I'm probably foolish to think the "Banana Republics" of Latin America refunded to their laborer class their diminished wages by initiating governmental leadership changes for favorable management contracts for Rockefeller's United Fruit Corp. and the Libyans are rumored to be ecstatic now that they don't have to worry about free housing, free food, free water and free education through University level now that we killed that repressive Qaddaffi and we just tried to get control of East Ukraine's gas and energy assets so the working class in Donbass won't have to hire bookkeepers to keep track of their energy monies and the list is endless. It is always about bringing resources into the USA Corporate Network of hegemony. Not really all that complicated. We, USA Corporate, just keep all the money. We leave things like Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or to quote Putin, "Everything the USA touches turns into Libya." Gee, why would he say sumpin' like that, eh?
    Mossadegh was in the 50's. Allende was in the 70's. Neither of those were "in the past 20 years".

    We aren't getting a damned thing out of Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya and I'm pretty sure that you have us confused with Russia as far as invading Ukraine.

  8. #8
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't remember the USA insisting on returning the copper to Chile as a result of Pinochet killing Allende to maintain IT & T hegemony of copper mining. I don't rightly recollect the USA trying to send the OIL back to Iran, after the CIA had Mossadegh killed, that we bought from the Shah of Iran for 12 cents per barrel and I'm probably foolish to think the "Banana Republics" of Latin America refunded to their laborer class their diminished wages by initiating governmental leadership changes for favorable management contracts for Rockefeller's United Fruit Corp. and the Libyans are rumored to be ecstatic now that they don't have to worry about free housing, free food, free water and free education through University level now that we killed that repressive Qaddaffi and we just tried to get control of East Ukraine's gas and energy assets so the working class in Donbass won't have to hire bookkeepers to keep track of their energy monies and the list is endless. It is always about bringing resources into the USA Corporate Network of hegemony. Not really all that complicated. We, USA Corporate, just keep all the money. We leave things like Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or to quote Putin, "Everything the USA touches turns into Libya." Gee, why would he say sumpin' like that, eh?
    The Truth About the CIA and Iran | Foreign Affairs

    www.foreignaffairs.com › FeaturesCommentsForeign Affairs


    RAY TAKEYH is Senior Fellow for Middle Eastern Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations. See more by this author. From our July/August 2014 Issue.


    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #9
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,291

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Mossadegh was in the 50's. Allende was in the 70's. Neither of those were "in the past 20 years".

    We aren't getting a damned thing out of Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya and I'm pretty sure that you have us confused with Russia as far as invading Ukraine.
    The War Machine in the USA has profitted handsomely from Libya, Afghanistan and Libya and so have the Big Energy Corporations because wars run on Big Energy so the first profits of war go to Big Energy. Then, as with these three countries, profits are generated in leasing, transporting, refining and retailing the hegemonically stolen energy assets. You must have the USA confused with an MSM portrayal as "the White Knight on the Hill," instead of the resource grabbers with buckets of funny money, Eh?

  10. #10
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The War Machine in the USA has profitted handsomely from Libya, Afghanistan and Libya and so have the Big Energy Corporations because wars run on Big Energy so the first profits of war go to Big Energy. Then, as with these three countries, profits are generated in leasing, transporting, refining and retailing the hegemonically stolen energy assets. You must have the USA confused with an MSM portrayal as "the White Knight on the Hill," instead of the resource grabbers with buckets of funny money, Eh?
    A third-grader's world view.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •