Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Imperialistic America

  1. #31
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I'm just thinking that it would be a pretty crappy empire if the Imperialists neither kept what they invaded nor profited by pillaging thier conquests.
    There are many forms of imperialism, many forms of conquest, and many ways of profiting from that conquest. As an European representative of the largest old-fashioned empire the world has known, let me tell you that our empire was not gained by means of military conquest, but it was no less an empire, and it was no less exploitative.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  2. #32
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    Is america a modern imperialistic power?
    Sort of. Hegemon might be a better term. Certainly if we are an Empire we are of a kind not seen before.

  3. #33
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    There are many forms of imperialism, many forms of conquest, and many ways of profiting from that conquest. As an European representative of the largest old-fashioned empire the world has known, let me tell you that our empire was not gained by means of military conquest, but it was no less an empire, and it was no less exploitative.
    .....I have to challenge that. Britains' Empire may have expanded in the famous "fit of absence of mind", but the idea that it wasn't linked to military dominance of the space is... from what I understand, simply not tenable. Britain didn't pick up India or South Africa because they came in and asked pretty-please.

  4. #34
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    There are many forms of imperialism, many forms of conquest, and many ways of profiting from that conquest. As an European representative of the largest old-fashioned empire the world has known, let me tell you that our empire was not gained by means of military conquest, but it was no less an empire, and it was no less exploitative.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    .....I have to challenge that. Britains' Empire may have expanded in the famous "fit of absence of mind", but the idea that it wasn't linked to military dominance of the space is... from what I understand, simply not tenable. Britain didn't pick up India or South Africa because they came in and asked pretty-please.
    Britannia ruled the waves. And as for conventional military force, here's one example. French Colonel Marchand came overland to the upper Nile from Brazzaville (a very tough trip) with 200 men. Lord Kitchener sailed up the Nile from Cairo with 20,000 Queens' African Rifles. They met at Fashoda, and the upper Nile was British thereafter.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #35
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    Is america a modern imperialistic power? We have invade like 22 different country's in the last 20 years, and while there have been complaints and retaliation, we still do it.
    We're not a classic imperialistic or Empire type of country from historic comparisons. We don't conquer and annex other lands, though we do secure strategic interests by interfering with other countries politics and national agreements, trade pacts, etc.

    Geopolitical strategies are an unfortunate necessity in the modern world of global trading and markets. The last few, large island states of communism, Russia and China had to change their political idealism to survive. So, we're not purposely being evil greedy, it's just a national priority to secure our countries best interests, though we do go over board with our zeal in acquiring success.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #36
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    We're not a classic imperialistic or Empire type of country from historic comparisons. We don't conquer and annex other lands, though we do secure strategic interests by interfering with other countries politics and national agreements, trade pacts, etc.
    As long as your rivals keep on playing the classical imperialistic empire's, and as long as you are willing to trade rather than conquer classically, considering the alternatives, I think this is the best option. Does it makes you want to thank Russia and China for helping you be perceived as better than them in the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  7. #37
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Imperialistic America

    It's an imperialistic world.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #38
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    As long as your rivals keep on playing the classical imperialistic empire's, and as long as you are willing to trade rather than conquer classically, considering the alternatives, I think this is the best option. Does it makes you want to thank Russia and China for helping you be perceived as better than them in the world?
    Better than Russia and China or just more effective at influencing and dominating?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #39
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Better than Russia and China or just more effective at influencing and dominating?
    You sure come out better than Russian style imperialism that involves either assimilation or systematic ethnic cleansing.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #40
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Imperialistic America

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    You sure come out better than Russian style imperialism that involves either assimilation or systematic ethnic cleansing.
    American history is full of atrocities with Native American slaughtering and slavery. We're no better than anyone else, just better resources, organization and learning from mistakes. Our flexible Constitution, melting pot culture and rule of law have helped our society, along with roots in traditional values, but that is all changing now.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •