View Poll Results: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 10.46%
  • No

    90 58.82%
  • Yes and no

    31 20.26%
  • Something else

    16 10.46%
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 489

Thread: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

  1. #61
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the rest of the world didn't think that Christianity was a religion of peace for the first 1200 years.
    Still carrying that grudge from 814yrs ago?? Man that's gotta be wearing you out, but I understand. Im still pissed at the Italians for feeding us to the lions!!

  2. #62
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    152

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's as peaceful as any of its contemporaries like Hinduism, Judaism, or Christianity.

    And the answer to your bonus question is that he didn't want to offend people that we weren't actually in a conflict with. It's the same reason that one of the first parts of the Patriot Act condemns violence against American Muslims. Not that it stopped a huge rise in said violence, even against people from India because violent white Christian (and maybe some Jewish but probably not) Americans didn't know the difference.
    Yes, Christians run around starting theocracies so they can behead non-christians.... I've seen Hindu's and Jews doing it also. Islam is the religion of peace.... everytime I hear that it reminds me of the book by Kratman.

    A Desert Called Peace (Baen Science Fiction): Tom Kratman: 9781416555926: Amazon.com: Books

  3. #63
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    To be fair, Islam is quite a bit worse than even the most corrupt and misguided elements of Christianity ever were. It is so by design, and has been since its very foundation.

    As Gardener pointed out, their holy text includes explicit instructions to either "kill or covert" the whole world, as well as numerous descriptions of acts of violence doled out against both lapsed members of the Muslim faithful and infidels alike by Islam's founding prophet.

    Groups like ISIS have not "corrupted" the nature of Islam. To the contrary, it's actually the other way around. Peaceful Muslims are the ones who are not living by the spirit of the original text.
    The Bible contains the same thing, there are all kinds of passages that command the killing of heretics. You could make the exact same argument for Christians who rationalize their way around very clear commands to kill sinners.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #64
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Almost no religion is violent. Assholes use religion to exercise violence. There is a difference.
    Religion doesn't exist at all without people. If you want to make excuses, then people are to blame for everything that happens in society and nothing else is ever actually responsible. That pretty much does away with any kind of argument against any idea at all. People are always to blame. Of course, the people who make that argument only tend to do so when it comes to things they hold dear, things they want to defend. It's the "no true Scotsman" argument. Nobody who EVER does anything bad can't possibly really belong to their religion, they must be an a-hole!

    It's a logical fallacy for a reason.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #65
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Thank you for that nonsensical input.
    It's only nonsensical because you have a vested emotional interest in not accepting it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The Bible contains the same thing, there are all kinds of passages that command the killing of heretics. You could make the exact same argument for Christians who rationalize their way around very clear commands to kill sinners.
    The New Testament contains neither. Frankly, even where the Old Testament is concerned, it's usually either God himself doing the killing, or the call for killing is limited in scope.

    Basically all the killing in the Quran is at the hands of men (and Muhammad in particular). Beyond even that, it's calls for violence and open-ended and essentially unlimited.

    The Quran quite literally calls for Muslims to conquer the whole world through strength of arms, and maim, kill, or enslave anyone who won't get with the program.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    The New Testament contains neither. Frankly, even where the Old Testament is concerned, it's usually either God himself doing the killing, or the call for killing is limited in scope.

    Basically all the killing in the Quran is at the hands of men (and Muhammad in particular). Beyond even that, it's calls for violence and open-ended.

    The Quran quite literally call for Muslims to conquer the whole world through strength of arms, and maim, kill, or enslave anyone who won't get with the program.
    So essentially, your argument is that God is a dick? Seriously? And no, there are plenty of massacres in the Old Testament, directly commanded by God, carried out by man. Deuteronomy 17 says pretty much the same thing, anyone who follows any other religion gets put to death. How is that any different? Read your damn book.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So essentially, your argument is that God is a dick? Seriously? And no, there are plenty of massacres in the Old Testament, directly commanded by God, carried out by man. Deuteronomy 17 says pretty much the same thing, anyone who follows any other religion gets put to death. How is that any different? Read your damn book.
    A) The Old Testament is not the New Testament. Christianity draws its teachings primarily the New Testament.

    B) Yea, exactly. The Israelites killed at God's explicit command. That command was given only rarely.

    They weren't given an open ended edict by someone claiming to be a "prophet," telling them that they had moral license to aggressively conquer and kill basically anyone who got in their way for the rest of time until no one but Jews, and the slaves of Jews, remained alive on this Earth.

    The simple fact of the matter is that Islam is a religion that was explicitly designed to encourage conquest and slaughter ad infinitum. Judaism and Christianity are not.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    A) The Old Testament is not the New Testament. Christianity draws its teachings primarily the New Testament.

    B) Yea, exactly. The Israelites killed at God's explicit command. That command was given only rarely.

    They weren't given an open ended edict by someone claiming to be a "prophet," telling them that they had moral license to aggressively conquer and kill basically anyone who got in their way for the rest of time until no one but Jews, and the slaves of Jews, remained alive on this Earth.

    The simple fact of the matter is that Islam is a religion that was explicitly designed to encourage conquest and slaughter ad infinitum. Judaism and Christianity are not.
    A) Jesus is quite clear in Matthew 5:17-19 that the whole of the Old Testament is to be followed. You also might want to read Luke 16:17. Or John 10:35. It's sad that I know your stupid book better than you do.

    B) No, the Israelites didn't kill on God's command because there's no reason to think God is more than a fairy tale. The Bible is a book of mythology, just like the Qu'ran. You just buy into one book of mythology and ignore the other.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    A) Jesus is quite clear in Matthew 5:17-19 that the whole of the Old Testament is to be followed. You also might want to read Luke 16:17. Or John 10:35. It's sad that I know your stupid book better than you do.
    Which is precisely why he openly mocked and defied the Pharisees in their obsessive compulsive observance of the laws set forward by the very same Old Testament, right?

    Again, the fact of the matter remains that no where, in either the New or Old Testament, is the idea ever set forward that Christians or Jews have the general right to aggressively conquer and enslave non-believers in the interests of compelling them to accept a particular religion.

    The Quran says exactly that, and it does so multiple times, in no uncertain terms.

    B) No, the Israelites didn't kill on God's command because there's no reason to think God is more than a fairy tale. The Bible is a book of mythology, just like the Qu'ran. You just buy into one book of mythology and ignore the other.
    Wow, really? No way! My entire belief system just toppled over and died right there, dude (Not).

    Look. I don't give a damn what you choose to believe, or not believe. That's not the point, so don't change the subject.

    The simple fact of the matter is that the Quran explicitly preaches a philosophy which is far more aggressive and violent than anything seen in either the Old or New Testament. As such, the claim that Islam is a "religion of peace" is ludicrous.

    Christian atrocities generally occur when believers go against the word of God. The Muslim variety occur when the Muslim faithful follow precisely what the Quran orders them to do.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 09-06-14 at 04:29 AM.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •