View Poll Results: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 10.46%
  • No

    90 58.82%
  • Yes and no

    31 20.26%
  • Something else

    16 10.46%
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 489

Thread: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

  1. #11
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Depends on the people who practice it's faith. I think it is almost completely peaceful, with some violent nut jobs. Kinda like every other religion and group out there.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #12
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Yes?
    No?
    Yes and no?
    Something else?

    Please give some thoughts behind your conclusion.

    Bonus question: In your opinion, why did Bush II go out of his way to refer to it as such after 9/11? Do you think he actually believed it? Do you think he was trying to keep people (us and them) calm?
    For what it's worth, here's my take. Any religion, including Islam, is what the individual believer feels it is. Some Muslims are peaceful, some are not - some are accepting of others beliefs, some are not. Replace the word Muslims in the previous sentence with any other religious word, like Christian, Jew, etc. and the same applies.

    However, Islamist extremists are the only ones beheading people on YouTube right now, that I'm aware of. But, Christian extremists are the only ones I know of that have blown up abortion clinics or killed doctors for performing abortions, but there may be some other religious group that has done that as well - I just don't know.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  3. #13
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Social objects do not have a will.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Yes?
    No?
    Yes and no?
    Something else?

    Please give some thoughts behind your conclusion.

    Bonus question: In your opinion, why did Bush II go out of his way to refer to it as such after 9/11? Do you think he actually believed it? Do you think he was trying to keep people (us and them) calm?
    Yes with one major caveat. Once every creature in the entire world is a Muslim which is what they advocate. By default that makes their number 1 goal peace on earth. The religion is peaceful. The obtaining of that religion is very brutal and bloody. It's a pretty big paradox but by definition Islam is a religion of peace.

    That's why they say most Muslims are peaceful people because most Muslims live in saturated populations of Muslims.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    It's neither a religion of peace or violence. However, it arose in a culture of violence.
    Look around its still a culture of violence. From how it treats women (ok to hit), to the actions of its adherents (readily demonstrable, even outside of asia and africa).

    Not all religions are equal-some are more violent-and one of those is Islam.

  6. #16
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Depends on the people who practice it's faith. I think it is almost completely peaceful, with some violent nut jobs. Kinda like every other religion and group out there.
    I agree with you, but... the Islamist extremists are more than just "some" violent nut jobs. They are a pretty large group, currently anyway, as compared to other religions nut jobs, and they tend to go further in their nut jobbery than most other religious nut jobs. Of course, I have a feeling that if we didn't have the First Amendment, and laws that enforce it, we would have a higher level of nut jobbery here than we currently do.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Social objects do not have a will.
    You are a poor student of philosophy. I do applaud your observation. It is logical. Ideas do influence behavior no matter how air tight your argument is. Certain philosophical systems have produced similar outcomes throughout the ages no matter what type of people implemented the ideas or what type of people the ideas were imposed upon.

    I give you a thumbs up for literal translation of the topic at hand. I give you a thumbs down because of your inability to see how Islamic traditions have influenced human beings. You missed a big part of the picture.

    Your desire to win an argument trumps your ability to solve problems. That's not good.
    Last edited by vasuderatorrent; 09-05-14 at 05:24 PM.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Any religion that puts to death those who wish to leave it is not a religion of peace. As religions go, it's probably one of the worst ones ever invented. It's in dire need of a reformation.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Any religion that puts to death those who wish to leave it is not a religion of peace. As religions go, it's probably one of the worst ones ever invented. It's in dire need of a reformation.
    Can Islam produce a Martin Luther?

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Last Seen
    11-15-16 @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Can Islam produce a Martin Luther?
    To be fair, Islamic support made a Martin Luther *and there were many just like him, before him* an actual reformationist. That and German princes tired of Catholic land domination.

    The real question is; why are people so willing to live their lives in fear? Freedom includes everyone, and with that freedom comes a terrible price of "insecurity". One, I personally, am willing to pay.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •