View Poll Results: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 10.46%
  • No

    90 58.82%
  • Yes and no

    31 20.26%
  • Something else

    16 10.46%
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 489

Thread: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    To the contrary, I do take those passages literally, simply because there is really no other way to take them but "literally." I'm simply saying that they are not terribly relevant.

    Christ, a man who may have very well been God on Earth, if you take him at his word, cast them aside, and so too have the last 100 generations of his followers. There's simply no cause to pay the passages in question much mind from a Christian perspective for that exact reason.

    Whether the Jews have done so as well, I couldn't say. I'm not terribly familiar with the Talmud, Torah, or any other Jewish works past the Old Testament.

    What I can say with regard to Islam, however, is that the exact opposite is the case. The latest, and most relevant, parts of the Quran are those which advocate the most violence and bloodshed.

    To my knowledge, no later work has ever changed this either. As a matter of fact, many of them have made it worse.
    Muhammad's last words included comments about killing Christians.

  2. #132
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You seem to think pointing a finger and saying "They did it too!" is an excuse. Its not.
    Uh, no.
    I'm pointing out that any group of religious ideas can be exploited as a tool to coerce people into radicalism.

    But nice irrational knee-jerk reaction you have there.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    Uh, no.
    I'm pointing out that any group of religious ideas can be exploited as a tool to coerce people into radicalism.

    But nice irrational knee-jerk reaction you have there.
    Neither irrational nor knee-jerk. ANY IDEOLOGY can be exploited by the right ideologue. That would be the most correct statement. See how this works?

  4. #134
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    ANY IDEOLOGY can be exploited by the right ideologue. That would be the most correct statement. See how this works?
    Expanding the scope doesn't make my comment incorrect, nor does it invalidate the relevance of pointing out Christianity's past as an example of the point.

    Keep attacking that straw man...

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Türkiye
    Last Seen
    04-09-15 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    338

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    I have seen a car that has never involved in any accident or killing; at the same time i have seen another car that has involved in many accidents and killings. Also i am informed that the drivers of the latter are always the ones put in jails in every country in the world.

    The NO voters here think those drivers should not be the ones in jails but the car. Are those voters from Mars?

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    Expanding the scope doesn't make my comment incorrect, nor does it invalidate the relevance of pointing out Christianity's past as an example of the point.

    Keep attacking that straw man...
    If only religion held a candle to leftism in the last 100 years, eh? Talk about the horrors of ideology.

  7. #137
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I never said Islam started in a predominantly christian area, Im saying Islam had a better logic system that allowed it to flourish. And like christianity, Islam started out as an oral tradition so when the Koran was written is largely immaterial since the core logic was already established.

    Yes, it did.

    Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?-index-jpg
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #138
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    If only religion held a candle to leftism in the last 100 years, eh? Talk about the horrors of ideology.
    And now a person called "US Conservative" devolves a conversation about religion into political bickering. Shocker.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,017

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    And now a person called "US Conservative" devolves a conversation about religion into political bickering. Shocker.
    That is most likely not his real name...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    And now a person called "US Conservative" devolves a conversation about religion into political bickering. Shocker.
    We were discussing ideological extremists. Black book of communism says 100 million were KILLED last century because of that. Seems pertinent.
    On top of that, Islamism consists not just of a religion but also a legal and political code as well.

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •