View Poll Results: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 10.46%
  • No

    90 58.82%
  • Yes and no

    31 20.26%
  • Something else

    16 10.46%
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 489

Thread: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    While I'm hesitant to reduce human behavior to an equation, humans follow pretty reliable algorithms when it comes to how warlike a given civilization is. The Middle East has always been an extremely violent place because the number of humans who live there vastly exceeds accessible resources. Nonetheless, people have continued to live there because it was (1) centrally located along a number of important trade routes and (2) as a result of (1) enjoys an ancient accumulation of "capital investment" disproportionate to being such a comparatively poor region and (3) they were born there and it is what they know. Unlike the United States or Europe, where rival parties often benefited by overcoming their differences, prosperity in the Middle East usually has to come at somebody else's expense. Hence the origins of 150 or so tribes in Iraq alone. Those tribes have always worked together to prosper at another's tribe's expense.

    Even if Islam didn't exist, you would expect the Middle East to be a violent place.
    You are correct on the factors in the ME, but this doesn't account for the 80% of muslims who live outside the ME. The problems with violence occur in africa and central/east asia as well.

    Its a throwback-the brutality we see in Islam (let alone the oppression, intolerance, etc) is how the world was 1000 years ago.

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Have you watched the news lately? The answer is no.
    Can you expand on that and maybe give some examples? Simply stating 'no' based on watching the news is utterly unconvincing.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Religion doesn't exist at all without people. If you want to make excuses, then people are to blame for everything that happens in society and nothing else is ever actually responsible. That pretty much does away with any kind of argument against any idea at all. People are always to blame. Of course, the people who make that argument only tend to do so when it comes to things they hold dear, things they want to defend. It's the "no true Scotsman" argument. Nobody who EVER does anything bad can't possibly really belong to their religion, they must be an a-hole!

    It's a logical fallacy for a reason.
    Yea people are responsible for their own actions. If a guy blows building and kills a bunch of people it's not because he is Muslim or because he's from the middle east or a Republican or gay or 6 feet tall or whelatever else you you can think of that lumps him in with some group. By your logic everyone of every race religion nationality and political view is a terrorist.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #94
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Well then, based upon the polling, Western propaganda is bating 300! A few, comparatively, have high jacked the religion for political gain. The Islamic holy book has directives of violence both within the family, the community and by rules of how and when to wage war, but few contemporary Muslims follow that part, just as the very same and worse can be found in the older pages of the bible, while very few contemporary Christians adhere to it.
    Last edited by Montecresto; 09-06-14 at 08:00 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #95
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    300 isn't all that great. Its pretty good but not great.


    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well then, based upon the polling, Western propaganda is bating 300! A few, comparatively, have high jacked the religion for political gain. The Islamic holy book has directives of violence both within the family, the community and by rules of how and when to wage war, but few contemporary Muslims follow that part, just as the very same and worse can be found in the older pages of the bible, while very few contemporary Christians adhere to it.

  6. #96

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Through no fault of its own, Islam is a relatively young religion, so has not had the chance to adapt with the modern times. Religions like Christianity have had longer to adapt and evolve into more diluted versions of themselves. Therefore it is stronger in its views than most religions of today.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Religion of Peace?

    I dunno about that.

    But it is definitely - like all major religions IMO - a Waste of Time

  8. #98
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Like all religions it has both writings of love, and violence.


  9. #99
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I didn't say one was better. Its very myopic to blame this on secular society or to put Christianity and Islam on the same plane. The fact that you have to go back 500 years is evidence on its face of being held to a different standard.
    Christianity has spent 500 more years in the west where secular society has had a moderating effect. The same cannot be said of Islam. 500 years ago, Christians were just as much the animals that many Muslims are today. Once they get out of their little myopic Muslim-only world, secular society is having the same moderating effect on Islam that it had on Christianity.

    Same standard, different locations.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #100
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Is Islam a "Religion of Peace"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Yea people are responsible for their own actions. If a guy blows building and kills a bunch of people it's not because he is Muslim or because he's from the middle east or a Republican or gay or 6 feet tall or whelatever else you you can think of that lumps him in with some group. By your logic everyone of every race religion nationality and political view is a terrorist.
    A person's beliefs inform their actions. If they believe that an imaginary friend in the sky is commanding that they strap on a bomb vest and kill the heretics, then the religion that they follow, the beliefs that they hold, are at least partially responsible for the actions that they take.

    Of course, a lot of religious people hate that idea because when someone of their own religion goes crazy and does something evil, they don't want anything to stain the "good name" of their own religion. It's base hypocrisy, but we shouldn't be at all surprised.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •