View Poll Results: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    2 4.44%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    5 11.11%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 2.22%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    22 48.89%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    6 13.33%
  • Im not American, no.

    0 0%
  • Im an American neither right nor left, yes.

    4 8.89%
  • Im an American neither right nor left, no.

    5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 136

Thread: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion...
    You should have stopped the question there. The answer is no. Absolute security is impossible. Fearing the border with Mexico as a source of terrorists is silly though. They will just fly in.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    We can never be safe from terrorist attacks regardless of what we do at the border. Someone bent on destruction will find a way.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #33
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Crossing over from Mexico is likely very low on the list of methods that Islamic terrorists would use to enter this country. Of course, the majority of terrorist actions in this country are committed by American citizens, making the idea of linking immigration from Mexico and South America to terrorism even more pointless. As in the graphic, drugs certainly come in that way, but we like drugs in this country. Terrorists don't come in that way. Amusingly, they're often not too fond of the drugs.
    Yea I'm pretty sure that there has already been evidence that many "other than Mexican" people have been crossing, including those from Islamic countries.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  4. #34
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Yes, because all the guns in Texas will stop the terrorists.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #35
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Yea I'm pretty sure that there has already been evidence that many "other than Mexican" people have been crossing, including those from Islamic countries.
    Please share that evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    How are you so sure that does not "actually happen"?
    Because there's no evidence of it happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I disagree.
    And why do you disagree? Because you don't like our immigration policies? Or do you actually have some evidence that this problem exists? If you do, please share it. Otherwise, this is an unfounded fear and no cause to try to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,006

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Terrorism is a technique, which is utilized by citizens and legal residents far more frequently than by foreigners.

    Boston Marathon bombing, Oklahoma City bombing, the Weathermen, the SLA, Earth First!, Joseph Stack flying a plane into an IRS building, 2012 Sikh Temple shooting, 2009 Fort Hood shooting, 2002 Beltway Sniper attacks, on and on and on....

    Not to mention cyber attacks, which can be initiated by pretty much anyone anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.

    Most importantly of all, the odds of anyone in the US being killed by terrorism is extremely small. 9/11, as horrific as it was, was responsible for 0.08% of all deaths in the US in 2001. As one article put it, You're More Likely to Die from Brain-Eating Parasites, Alcoholism, Obesity, Medical Errors, Risky Sexual Behavior or Just About Anything OTHER THAN Terrorism.


    Ultimately, terrorism is a method whose true effectiveness is not reflected in its death counts, but in the fear it sows, and the over-reactions it provokes. We also pay more attention to big, splashy, out-of-our-control events like a bombing than to, say, smoking tobacco -- which now kills almost half a million people a year.

    So, yes. We can certainly still be safe, even if we don't put the US inside a giant bubble to seal out The Others. That is, if we stop smoking cigarettes.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Terrorism is a technique, which is utilized by citizens and legal residents far more frequently than by foreigners.

    Boston Marathon bombing, Oklahoma City bombing, the Weathermen, the SLA, Earth First!, Joseph Stack flying a plane into an IRS building, 2012 Sikh Temple shooting, 2009 Fort Hood shooting, 2002 Beltway Sniper attacks, on and on and on....

    Not to mention cyber attacks, which can be initiated by pretty much anyone anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.

    Most importantly of all, the odds of anyone in the US being killed by terrorism is extremely small. 9/11, as horrific as it was, was responsible for 0.08% of all deaths in the US in 2001. As one article put it, You're More Likely to Die from Brain-Eating Parasites, Alcoholism, Obesity, Medical Errors, Risky Sexual Behavior or Just About Anything OTHER THAN Terrorism.


    Ultimately, terrorism is a method whose true effectiveness is not reflected in its death counts, but in the fear it sows, and the over-reactions it provokes. We also pay more attention to big, splashy, out-of-our-control events like a bombing than to, say, smoking tobacco -- which now kills almost half a million people a year.

    So, yes. We can certainly still be safe, even if we don't put the US inside a giant bubble to seal out The Others. That is, if we stop smoking cigarettes.
    Well said.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    America will never be safe from terrorism. It is impossible to be perfectly safe. Just remember Timothy McVeigh.

    So grow a spine America, take sensible precautions without being paranoid and move on.

    There are no guarantees in life...so stop running to mommy everytime the media says 'ISIS'.

  9. #39
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,952

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, you shouldn't lock your doors if nobody has ever broken into any home or stolen any car. You guard against things that actually happen. Terrorists crossing into this country from Mexico isn't something that actually happens.

    so is that a guarantee on your part?

    or just hopefulness?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #40
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,952

    Re: Can the US be safe from terrorist incursion with our current open border?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    You can have an open border and be safe from terrorists as long as you dont militarily intervene in other countries so yes, its possible.

    so evil doesnt exist.....and if we leave them alone, they'll leave us alone...right?

    i wonder how the jews would respond to that line of thought?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •