View Poll Results: Is returning the donations a good idea?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 20.00%
  • No

    14 70.00%
  • Other (please explain)

    2 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Principled or stupid?

  1. #11
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    If some donors withhold donations because of whom the charity is associated with, I see no reason why the charity can not do the same.

    Their charity, their choice.
    I don't see where anybody suggested the charity shouldn't have the choice. The questions regards whether the charity should make the choice that they did. Two completely different issues.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #12
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,158

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    After doing more research I change my vote to "yes returning the donation was a good idea".

    Reddit users were helping to spread the nude photos of Lawrence and posting them in a single thread. They had to remove the thread because of copyright issues, but continued to ensure the pictures made it to other sites. I'm sorry, but that's pretty deplorable. This was a scheme they cooked up to further the embarrassment of Lawrence (and others, BTW, including Mckayla Maroney and Misty May-Treanor). It is not an amusing stunt by any means and now I really support this group for refusing to be a part of this. Good for them. PS I made a donation to them last night.

  3. #13
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Probably 99.99999999% of people will never know where the money came from, and even if somebody did try to make an issue of it publicly I doubt it'd go anywhere, so I don't think it affects the charity's image one bit.

    They should have kept the money.

    Now, if the donation were from the KKK, then that is something that somebody could raise a stink about, so in a case like that they probably should return the money.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #14
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,433

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    The photos were obtained illegally and are what might be considered 'porn'. If the charity doesn't want to accept money from people supporting that, it's their choice and I can't hate on them for it. They can surely raise money from more legitimate sources.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    The photos were obtained illegally and are what might be considered 'porn'. If the charity doesn't want to accept money from people supporting that, it's their choice and I can't hate on them for it. They can surely raise money from more legitimate sources.
    That is a good and fair point, but I still think they should have kept it. However, because of your point, I don't necessarily blame them or fault them for giving it back, either.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Cancer charity rejects funds raised by Redditors



    If I'm following this correctly the Prostate Cancer Foundation is returning donations from Reddit users. The Reddit users apparently came up with the idea to donate because of the celeb nudie pics hack. From the sounds of things the suggestion to donate was kind of a joke.

    Is returning the money a good thing or is it just plain stupid?
    I don't know what or who Reddit is (I'm proudly social media illiterate) but seems to me that any donation that has no strings attached should be honoured and thanks given. I recall someone relatively famous doing the "ice bucket challenge" and substituting bullets for ice. I didn't hear the ALS society complaining about the donation being related to another political/social cause unrelated to the disease they fight against.

    It should be celebrated any time an individual reaches into their own pocket and willingly, without conditions, gives of their own resources to any charitable cause. If the Prostate Cancer Foundation doesn't want the money, I say to hell with them, find another charity who wants the money, and let it be known loud and wide that people should avoid sending money to the Prostate Cancer Foundation and seek out more accepting and deserving causes.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #17
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,158

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't know what or who Reddit is (I'm proudly social media illiterate) but seems to me that any donation that has no strings attached should be honoured and thanks given. I recall someone relatively famous doing the "ice bucket challenge" and substituting bullets for ice. I didn't hear the ALS society complaining about the donation being related to another political/social cause unrelated to the disease they fight against.

    It should be celebrated any time an individual reaches into their own pocket and willingly, without conditions, gives of their own resources to any charitable cause. If the Prostate Cancer Foundation doesn't want the money, I say to hell with them, find another charity who wants the money, and let it be known loud and wide that people should avoid sending money to the Prostate Cancer Foundation and seek out more accepting and deserving causes.
    They declined the money because it was raised by a group who was promoting the spreading of nude photographs (aka pornography) that were obtained illegally, and made these donations "in honor" of the people whose privacy was invaded and were victims of an illegal act. No correlation to the ice bucket challenge.

  8. #18
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    They declined the money because it was raised by a group who was promoting the spreading of nude photographs (aka pornography) that were obtained illegally, and made these donations "in honor" of the people whose privacy was invaded and were victims of an illegal act. No correlation to the ice bucket challenge.
    Clearly, they had the choice to decline the money - in my view, they're fools. If a charity is going to have a purity test for donators, they might just as well bolt the doors and shut down now.

    I don't know what or who Reddit is, but if they are in any way a media outlet it is their business to share "news". Did the New York Times refuse to publish information illegally gained by Edward Snowden? So what if the pics are, in your view, pornographic - didn't your Supreme Court establish a first amendment right related to pornography? Who's more at fault here? - the guys who created the "pornography" and posted it on a segment of the internet thus making it susceptible to distribution or the guys who viewed the "pornography"? Only an utter idiot, after all the previous examples, posts self-"pornography" anywhere on the internet. Even teenagers are becoming savvy enough to get it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #19
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,158

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Clearly, they had the choice to decline the money - in my view, they're fools. If a charity is going to have a purity test for donators, they might just as well bolt the doors and shut down now.

    I don't know what or who Reddit is, but if they are in any way a media outlet it is their business to share "news". Did the New York Times refuse to publish information illegally gained by Edward Snowden? So what if the pics are, in your view, pornographic - didn't your Supreme Court establish a first amendment right related to pornography? Who's more at fault here? - the guys who created the "pornography" and posted it on a segment of the internet thus making it susceptible to distribution or the guys who viewed the "pornography"? Only an utter idiot, after all the previous examples, posts self-"pornography" anywhere on the internet. Even teenagers are becoming savvy enough to get it.
    The charity isn't the NY Times. They aren't part of the press. They don't want to associate with a group who is advancing illegally obtained nude pictures, including some of underage girls.

  10. #20
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Principled or stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The charity isn't the NY Times. They aren't part of the press. They don't want to associate with a group who is advancing illegally obtained nude pictures, including some of underage girls.
    So if the New York Times ran a promotion to raise funds for the Prostate Cancer Foundation, the Foundation would decline the funds because they don't want to associate with a group that is advancing illegally obtained information?

    Again, where is the purity of source line drawn?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •