View Poll Results: Would Nixon have been forgiven if he'd asked or taken responsibility?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think he would have been forgiven.

    1 9.09%
  • Really hard to say. His personality didn't help.

    1 9.09%
  • No way, he'd have been impeached and hung out to dry.

    4 36.36%
  • I really don't know, but this is an interesting question.

    5 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Two part question, one-part poll (poll question relates to 1974);

    If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate, similar to what Reagan did when he took full responsibility over Iran-Contra, and given the political mindset of the country at that time, would the country and Congress have let him slide and avoid potential/likely impeachment? Or, were his crimes too bad to overlook?

    Now, fast-forward to today and today's political climate. Suppose Nixon and Watergate happened today. How would Nixon be handled? Possible forgiveness, or no mercy?

    I think he would have been forgiven in 1974, but nailed to the cross (so to speak) today. I think our's has always been a forgiving society if you just ask, but today and recent years has turned away from that.

    Keep in mind that the questions are as much about changing (or not) societal political mindsets as they are about the specific events.

    Note: I'm presently reading a book about Gerald Ford, hence all my Nixon and Ford threads of late.
    Last edited by radcen; 09-02-14 at 03:23 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    The problem is, Nixon never would take responsibility. In Dean's new book, he writes about talking to Nixon, explaining what he did was wrong, and Nixon continued his cognitive dissonance, he never believed he was doing wrong. Nixon was like that, it was a psycological flaw he had, he was paranoid and kept enemy lists, and felt the ends justified the means.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  3. #3
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    The problem is, Nixon never would take responsibility. In Dean's new book, he writes about talking to Nixon, explaining what he did was wrong, and Nixon continued his cognitive dissonance, he never believed he was doing wrong. Nixon was like that, it was a psycological flaw he had, he was paranoid and kept enemy lists, and felt the ends justified the means.
    I agree. Nixon never would have. The question is also about changing societal political mindsets, as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Two part question, one-part poll (poll question relates to 1974);

    If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate, similar to what Reagan did when he took full responsibility over Iran-Contra, and given the political mindset of the country at that time, would the country and Congress have let him slide and avoid potential/likely impeachment? Or, were his crimes too bad to overlook?

    Now, fast-forward to today and today's political climate. Suppose Nixon and Watergate happened today. How would Nixon be handled? Possible forgiveness, or no mercy?

    I think he would have been forgiven in 1974, but nailed to the cross (so to speak) today. I think our's has always been a forgiving society if you just ask, but today and recent years has turned away from that.

    Note: I'm presently reading a book about Gerald Ford, hence all my Nixon and Ford threads of late.
    If you want my honest opinion, in today's climate would that have been considered as serious as it was in the early 1970s? No. The crime was primarily against the other political party. It's not like we aren't used to it today, and I'm sorry, but abuse of power is hardly something that isn't going on now.

  5. #5
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    He was gone mo matter what.

  6. #6
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I agree. Nixon never would have. The question is also about changing societal political mindsets, as well.
    I find Nixon fascinating as a human being, but don't take that as liking and admiring him. He had some serious psychological problems.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  7. #7
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    If Nixon knew little and did not engage in cover-up activities, it is possible to imagine that the GOP would have sided with him. Anything less than that, not only would have public opinion soured to a significant degree, but his support within the GOP would have gradually eroded just as it had.

    Lastly, this is an important part of the puzzle. Not a single impeachment proceeding has occurred in the United States without political malice driving the opposition. In the case of Nixon, Nixon actually proceeded in a manner that rapidly closed in on the criminality that the process was designed to protect against. That being said, impeachment is mostly a partisan political tool. American citizens shouldn't have any illusions about it.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 09-02-14 at 04:33 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #8
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Nixon had a lot more than just Watergate to apologize for.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    If Nixon knew little and did not engage in cover-up activities, it is possible to imagine that the GOP would have sided with him. Anything less than that, not only would have public opinion soured to a significant degree, but his support within the GOP would have gradually eroded just as it had.

    Lastly, this is an important part of the puzzle. Not a single impeachment proceeding has occurred in the United States without political malice driving the opposition. In the case of Nixon, Nixon actually proceeded in a manner that rapidly closed in on the criminality that the process was designed to protect against. That being said, impeachment is mostly a partisan political tool. American citizens shouldn't have any illusions about it.
    It wasn't intended to be, but it sure has evolved to be so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #10
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: If Nixon had done a mea culpa regarding Watergate...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It wasn't intended to be, but it sure has evolved to be so.
    Correct. It was something that was designed to secure the integrity of the system. However, when the first President faced the likelihood of being removed from office, he was guilty of violating terms of a law that was an overstep in Congressional authority in regulating the actions of the President. It was such an overstep that the law in which the President was guilty of violating, was removed entirely one year later--but not before they could effectively oust Johnson from power. Both the law and the impeachment proceedings functioned as a partisan tool to remove a President from power.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •