View Poll Results: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 59.38%
  • No

    9 28.13%
  • Not sure

    4 12.50%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Edit: DOH!!! Yes = good, no = bad. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by radcen; 09-02-14 at 01:59 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Your poll isn't really going to make sense by the way.

    I think it was bad for the country, Nixon should have had his day in court at the very least.

  3. #3
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    The "yes" "no" choices don't really match the question.

    But was it a good thing for the country? Yes I think it was. Country needed to move on. He was pardoned and I have no issue with that fact.

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Your poll isn't really going to make sense by the way.

    I think it was bad for the country, Nixon should have had his day in court at the very least.
    I know. I caught that just as it was too late.

    Hopefully my edit will help.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    I like the way Nixon handled it, didn't like the way Clinton handled it. Both knew they were guilty, only one stepped down to spare the country.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,751

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Edit: DOH!!! Yes = good, no = bad. Sorry about that.
    The Nixon pardon was horrible for the Republican party and I think it set a dangerous precedent for allowing executive branch politicians to get way with criminal activity: GW Bush and Dick Cheny come to mind immeditately.

    I think that it was then that our world image really began to suffer as well: "the US can't police and hold its own crooks responsible; so who are they to complain about anybody else?"

    Yeah, it did a lot of damage.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    The Nixon pardon was horrible for the Republican party and I think it set a dangerous precedent for allowing executive branch politicians to get way with criminal activity: GW Bush and Dick Cheny come to mind immeditately.

    I think that it was then that our world image really began to suffer as well: "the US can't police and hold its own crooks responsible; so who are they to complain about anybody else?"

    Yeah, it did a lot of damage.
    Neither Bush nor Chaney were ever impeached, nor were they ever convicted of any crime to be pardoned.

    And no about the international image. Of course our enemies would think that, no matter what we did. But the feeling at the time internationally was one of relief and that Nixon did his job, protecting America, to the last. The pardon was expected by EVERYONE, here and around the globe.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,343
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Edit: DOH!!! Yes = good, no = bad. Sorry about that.
    I would say good. I do not see that anything would have been gained by continuing to try him. He was forced from office and disgraced. What more could have really been done to him? The pardon sped up the process of moving on.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Edit: DOH!!! Yes = good, no = bad. Sorry about that.
    I had to vote good or yes because if we start that slippery slope of not giving presidents leeway on some things, that could open a barrel of worms for all other past and present presidents. We all did notice the acquittal of Clinton by congress, did we not? Even though he committed adultery and lied about it.

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,343
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In hindsight, was the Nixon pardon good or bad for the country?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I like the way Nixon handled it, didn't like the way Clinton handled it. Both knew they were guilty, only one stepped down to spare the country.
    You do realize Clinton was acquitted, right? And the only reason Nixon stepped down was he had no chance of acquittal?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •