View Poll Results: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 31.48%
  • No

    37 68.52%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 97

Thread: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

  1. #81
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    I have a good story about the "Giants". When I was young we kept telling my younger brother we were going to see the Mets and Giants play at Shea stadium. He was 4 or 5 at the time. So we get to the stadium and show him the players on the field. The orange and gray are the Giants and the blue and white are the Mets. After looking over the field for a few minutes he says.....


    They're not so big.
    That made me smile. Very cute! And yeah, they aren't that big. Especially the football ones (my personal favorites).

    Anyway I know the point you were getting at. Most team names are just representative of something, but most of them aren't really intended to insult of defame a group unless it's an obvious mean use of a slur that is commonly used, like the "n" word, or even words that don't make me cringe even though I don't use them, like spic and wop and sand jockey, etc.

  2. #82
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Yeah, probably...

    Imagine the hell there'd be if there were a team named "Blackskins". Just because there are fewer people who identify themselves as Native American* doesn't mean they don't deserve the same consideration a larger group would get. And I think we can all agree that "Blackskins" wouldn't last long.


    * Worded that way since there are many Native American descendants who are probably so far enough removed in culture and skin tone that they don't really care.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    So I guess that makes everything okay. I'm sure the holocaust survivors will be happy to know that.
    Just let me know when you start complaining about all the other expansions and wars when land was taken or lost. That way you at least aren't a hypocrite.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #84
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,574

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Just let me know when you start complaining about all the other expansions and wars when land was taken or lost. That way you at least aren't a hypocrite.
    All I did was mention that we took the Indians land and committed a few atrocities along the way in my post about changing the name. You got bent out of shape because I mentioned it as if it doesn't deserve a second thought. Damn I wish I could post that line from the Princess Bride, I do think it means what you think it means with the picture like its been done. Oh well, acknowledging the FACT that we took their land and treated them poorly with out acknowledging every other type of atrocity doesn't make me a hypocrite. You trying to rationalize it away as something inevitable makes you look ignorant. Have a wonderful evening.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  5. #85
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,317

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    But they got casinos. Pretty sweet deal, imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    All I did was mention that we took the Indians land and committed a few atrocities along the way in my post about changing the name. You got bent out of shape because I mentioned it as if it doesn't deserve a second thought. Damn I wish I could post that line from the Princess Bride, I do think it means what you think it means with the picture like its been done. Oh well, acknowledging the FACT that we took their land and treated them poorly with out acknowledging every other type of atrocity doesn't make me a hypocrite. You trying to rationalize it away as something inevitable makes you look ignorant. Have a wonderful evening.

  6. #86
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,574

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by TobyOne View Post
    But they got casinos. Pretty sweet deal, imo.
    Not enough of them. Many live quite poorly with alcoholism a major problem. I would like to visit the Grand Canyon (I think) where they built a clear bridge/shelf where you can walk off the cliff. Looks cool.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    No.

    People are way too sensitive about stupid things like this. Just no.

  8. #88
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    For those of you that think the team should change it's name, should the state of Indiana change it's name as well?

  9. #89
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I think it should be changed and until it is the owner of the Redskins won't see one red cent of my money.

    I don't think the government should force the guy to change he's team's name, but neither would I be too upset if they did. There are certainly worse uses for government than bullying idiots.
    Why do I sense that you already don't spend one red cent on anything Redskins?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #90
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do you think the Washington Redskins NFL team should change their name?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The only reason I'd like to see it changed is just because I'm ****ing tired of hearing about it. Should it be changed because it's wrong? No. This isn't a question of right and wrong.
    That's the worst reason to change it. All it does is send a message to every fringe group that they can get what they want by simply wearing everyone else down.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •