View Poll Results: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 46.15%
  • No

    11 28.21%
  • To a certain degree

    9 23.08%
  • Other

    1 2.56%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 98

Thread: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    One would think so, but as I interact and observe more and more, the less I think it exists at all. Even the simplest things no one can agree on. So, what's 'common' about anything?

    No. The older I get the more I think "common sense" is merely something we want to believe in.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    To me, the term common sense just refers to the most logical answer to a problem or question, and isn't necessarily common at all (in numbers).
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    One would think so, but as I interact and observe more and more, the less I think it exists at all. Even the simplest things no one can agree on. So, what's 'common' about anything?

    No. The older I get the more I think "common sense" is merely something we want to believe in.
    Common sense is a learned fact based and non emotional reasoning ability. Does it exist? Certainly. Is it taught and/or practiced? Oh, hell no ! At least not by many.

    The generations born since the late 60s have been taught to respond emotionally, idyllically, and perceptually without black and white facts; or the ability to formulate facts.

    Emotional idealism and group think social correctness has replaced curiosity, courtesy, and the hard learned skill of listening; lacking those acquired abilities results in a lack of common sense.

    Common sense most easily equates with math. Gather facts no matter how grand or ugly, add, subtract, multiply, and divide... arrive at the answer then if it warrants, season the answer with emotion.

    Pick up my latest best seller available at all quality book stores.. "Common Sense" or "The Rights of Man"

    ( that was supposed to be funny )

    Good eve to you R

    Thom Paine
    Remember, on the other side of that screen is a real person. ( Missouri Mule )

  4. #4
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Common sense requires critical thought. Something that is no longer taught in our schools. I wonder why? Maybe because the powers that be would prefer a populous that lacks the ability to perform critical thought or analysis?

    When I was in school (college) one the courses I enjoyed the most was a course called "Critical Thinking." Every citizen of the US should be required to take such a course, as well as a course in Civics - another course that is no longer taught in public schools (and that makes me wonder why as well). In the military, we were also taught critical thinking skills. Part of that course was focused on checking, determining and defining our SA (situational awareness). Something that is sorely needed by the civilian population as well.

    On the other hand, there is something I call "Country Boy Common Sense." That, too, is learned. It is gained by growing up on a farm where you have to learn how to do so much for so long with so little, that you are then qualified to anything with nothing. In other words, you learn to make things work to fit the need and make do. You learn to question everything and never take no for an answer or to give up because it's just too damned hard. You learn to... think.

    Thinking is a taught skill, not an innate talent.
    Last edited by Beaudreaux; 09-01-14 at 12:14 AM.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  5. #5
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Common sense is a learned fact based and non emotional reasoning ability. Does it exist? Certainly. Is it taught and/or practiced? Oh, hell no ! At least not by many.

    The generations born since the late 60s have been taught to respond emotionally, idyllically, and perceptually without black and white facts; or the ability to formulate facts.

    Emotional idealism and group think social correctness has replaced curiosity, courtesy, and the hard learned skill of listening; lacking those acquired abilities results in a lack of common sense.

    Common sense most easily equates with math. Gather facts no matter how grand or ugly, add, subtract, multiply, and divide... arrive at the answer then if it warrants, season the answer with emotion.

    Pick up my latest best seller available at all quality book stores.. "Common Sense" or "The Rights of Man"

    ( that was supposed to be funny )

    Good eve to you R

    Thom Paine
    Great post. Wish I would have seen it before I posted mine.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  6. #6
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Common sense requires critical thought. Something that is no longer taught in our schools. I wonder why? Maybe because the powers that be would prefer a populous that lacks the ability to perform critical thought or analysis?

    When I was in school (college) one the courses I enjoyed the most was a course called "Critical Thinking." Every citizen of the US should be required to take such a course, as well as a course in Civics - another course that is no longer taught in public schools (and that makes me wonder why as well). In the military, we were also taught critical thinking skills. Part of that course was focused on checking, determining and defining our SA (situational awareness). Something that is sorely needed by the civilian population as well.

    On the other hand, there is something I call "Country Boy Common Sense." That, too, is learned. It is gained by growing up on a farm where you have to learn how to do so much for so long with so little, that you are then qualified to anything with nothing. In other words, you learn to make things work to fit the need and make do. You learn to question everything and never take no for an answer or to give up because it's just too damned hard. You learn to... think.

    Thinking is a taught skill, not an innate talent.
    Good evening Beaudreaux,

    Quite well stated and 'seasoned' with examples of how we grew to adulthood.

    All the best to you and Yes Ma'am

    Thom Paine
    Remember, on the other side of that screen is a real person. ( Missouri Mule )

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Common sense requires critical thought. Something that is no longer taught in our schools. I wonder why? Maybe because the powers that be would prefer a populous that lacks the ability to perform critical thought or analysis?

    When I was in school (college) one the courses I enjoyed the most was a course called "Critical Thinking." Every citizen of the US should be required to take such a course, as well as a course in Civics - another course that is no longer taught in public schools (and that makes me wonder why as well). In the military, we were also taught critical thinking skills. Part of that course was focused on checking, determining and defining our SA (situational awareness). Something that is sorely needed by the civilian population as well.

    On the other hand, there is something I call "Country Boy Common Sense." That, too, is learned. It is gained by growing up on a farm where you have to learn how to do so much for so long with so little, that you are then qualified to anything with nothing. In other words, you learn to make things work to fit the need and make do. You learn to question everything and never take no for an answer or to give up because it's just too damned hard. You learn to... think.

    Thinking is a taught skill, not an innate talent.
    I too recall a 'Critical Thinking" class... it really should be required, maybe in High School.

    On the other hand, there is something I call "Country Boy Common Sense." That, too, is learned. It is gained by growing up on a farm where you have to learn how to do so much for so long with so little, that you are then qualified to anything with nothing. In other words, you learn to make things work to fit the need and make do. You learn to question everything and never take no for an answer or to give up because it's just too damned hard. You learn to... think.

    Early youthful lessons... Observe, Adapt, Overcome ... sounds like a slogan, a motto, a mantra for success and how to stay alive no matter the circumstance.. I s'pect you've heard and said those words many times.

    Celebrate life

    Thom Paine
    Remember, on the other side of that screen is a real person. ( Missouri Mule )

  8. #8
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    I too recall a 'Critical Thinking" class... it really should be required, maybe in High School.
    It should be a required class to graduate high school.




    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    Early youthful lessons... Observe, Adapt, Overcome ... sounds like a slogan, a motto, a mantra for success and how to stay alive no matter the circumstance.. I s'pect you've heard and said those words many times.

    Celebrate life

    Thom Paine
    Oh yeah... except, for the record, the saying is - Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - which originated in the US Marine Corps, and has been adopted by SOF's of all branches.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  9. #9
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Yes, there is. It's a concept and like similar concepts (ex military intelligence, proportionate response) it's often referred to and rarely achieved.

    NOW GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Common sense requires critical thought. Something that is no longer taught in our schools. I wonder why? Maybe because the powers that be would prefer a populous that lacks the ability to perform critical thought or analysis?

    When I was in school (college) one the courses I enjoyed the most was a course called "Critical Thinking." Every citizen of the US should be required to take such a course, as well as a course in Civics - another course that is no longer taught in public schools (and that makes me wonder why as well).
    I agree. I took a course in Logic in college and it is the only textbook that I still have and review periodically. If nothing else, it taught me how to steer clear of fallacious arguments.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •