View Poll Results: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 46.15%
  • No

    11 28.21%
  • To a certain degree

    9 23.08%
  • Other

    1 2.56%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

  1. #51
    Professor
    Earthling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mountain retreat, SE Spain
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,466

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Common sense is the least common of all the senses.
    “No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”
    Don't fight climate change, be a conscientious objector.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Suspicions confirmed.
    When you can't address the argument attack the person... works on weak minded people.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?
    Common sense is a term used to belittle people who disagree with you or have a different way of viewing the world. I despise the term passionately.

  4. #54
    Professor
    Earthling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mountain retreat, SE Spain
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,466

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Common sense is a term used to belittle people who disagree with you or have a different way of viewing the world.
    Not even close, Wiki has a better definition:

    Common sense
    Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate. Wikipedia



    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    I despise the term passionately.
    That is certainly your prerogative, even if it is misguided.
    “No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”
    Don't fight climate change, be a conscientious objector.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    When you can't address the argument attack the person... works on weak minded people.
    The argument? You mean the total unsupported BS you posted, that confirmed my suspicion that you had no idea what went on in a modern classroom, that argument?

    Please feel free to back up the absurd assertions you made.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #56
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    When you can't address the argument attack the person... works on weak minded people.
    The argument? You mean the total unsupported BS you posted, that confirmed my suspicion that you had no idea what went on in a modern classroom, that argument?

    Please feel free to back up the absurd assertions you made.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #57
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    One would think so, but as I interact and observe more and more, the less I think it exists at all. Even the simplest things no one can agree on. So, what's 'common' about anything?

    No. The older I get the more I think "common sense" is merely something we want to believe in.
    Only a person that lacks common sense would ask such a senseless question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Common sense is a term used to belittle people who disagree with you or have a different way of viewing the world. I despise the term passionately.
    What?

    It is common sense not to stick your hand into a fire... if you think otherwise I guess I would belittle you after you did it to make your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Common sense is the least common of all the senses.
    Did you stay up late trying to make that one sound clever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What?

    It is common sense not to stick your hand into a fire... if you think otherwise I guess I would belittle you after you did it to make your point.
    It is common sense that you should give me $500. The term 'common sense' is extremely vulnerable to abuse and misuse.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •