View Poll Results: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 46.15%
  • No

    11 28.21%
  • To a certain degree

    9 23.08%
  • Other

    1 2.56%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98

Thread: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

  1. #11
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    I agree. I took a course in Logic in college and it is the only textbook that I still have and review periodically. If nothing else, it taught me how to steer clear of fallacious arguments.
    I have mine, too. Logic, is but one part of critical thinking. Logic, analytics, research, evaluation, conclusions, ethical testing and analytics again (that's the way I was taught - however after a Google search for an image, they seemed to have changed it around a bit to make it sound more difficult). Logic is the basis for the process, but is not the whole process. Pragmatism is most times a result, but not always, if emotion enters into the process. Common sense and critical thinking are fouled (or foiled) by emotion. Pure logic, excludes emotion as well (live long and prosper).
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  2. #12
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Common sense seems to be no more than an appeal to authority or tradition. It's the justification someone gives when they have no actual reasons to back up their argument. It's usually just a fallback to justify a position grounded in ignorance.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    I too recall a 'Critical Thinking" class... it really should be required, maybe in High School.
    It is required, starting sooner than high school.

    It just doesn't always take.

    Like math. You can teach probabilities, and the students will still buy lottery tickets and play the slots when they grow up.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #14
    User no_name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Last Seen
    09-01-14 @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    138

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    The smarter you are, the less common sense you have.

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Common sense requires critical thought. Something that is no longer taught in our schools. I wonder why? Maybe because the powers that be would prefer a populous that lacks the ability to perform critical thought or analysis?

    When I was in school (college) one the courses I enjoyed the most was a course called "Critical Thinking." Every citizen of the US should be required to take such a course, as well as a course in Civics - another course that is no longer taught in public schools (and that makes me wonder why as well). In the military, we were also taught critical thinking skills. Part of that course was focused on checking, determining and defining our SA (situational awareness). Something that is sorely needed by the civilian population as well.

    On the other hand, there is something I call "Country Boy Common Sense." That, too, is learned. It is gained by growing up on a farm where you have to learn how to do so much for so long with so little, that you are then qualified to anything with nothing. In other words, you learn to make things work to fit the need and make do. You learn to question everything and never take no for an answer or to give up because it's just too damned hard. You learn to... think.

    Thinking is a taught skill, not an innate talent.
    I like your points, but I cannot fully agree with your last sentence. Sure, teaching helps, but innate talent does play a part as well. Not everyone has equal ability to absorb and learn from lessons. I've known way too many people who were "book smart", but had no common sense whatsoever, and they never will no matter how hard they try. On the flip side, I know a guy who couldn't hold an intellectual conversation if his life depended on it, but I envy his day-to-day common sense.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I like your points, but I cannot fully agree with your last sentence. Sure, teaching helps, but innate talent does play a part as well. Not everyone has equal ability to absorb and learn from lessons. I've known way too many people who were "book smart", but had no common sense whatsoever, and they never will no matter how hard they try. On the flip side, I know a guy who couldn't hold an intellectual conversation if his life depended on it, but I envy his day-to-day common sense.
    Very true. I stand corrected, or at least modified.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  7. #17
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    to a certain degree

    Much like common knowledge, common sense isn't common. Some things that are common knowledge are known by less than half of the population. Common sense is much rarer. You only need to read the posts on this site to see how common non sequiturs are. In most threads, people on both sides of the issue are doing it, and if someone isn't doing it in the first thread that you look at, they're probably doing it in many other threads. I would guestimate that 1% of the population has common sense, and it doesn't correlate strongly with IQ.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #18
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    I think we're all born with plenty of common sense, but it gets clouded by some of the things that we're taught when we're young. Of course we need to keep learning when we're adults, but we also need to unlearn.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  9. #19
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is there even such a thing as "common sense"
    ?

    One would think so, but as I interact and observe more and more, the less I think it exists at all. Even the simplest things no one can agree on. So, what's 'common' about anything?

    No. The older I get the more I think "common sense" is merely something we want to believe in.


    I'm going to say yes there is, but it's mighty uncommon.

    Some people have it, but a lot of people don't.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Is there even such a thing as "common sense"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    I too recall a 'Critical Thinking" class... it really should be required, maybe in High School.

    Except school is not there to teach you how to think, they are there to teach you what to think, and to train you to be a good employee.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •