View Poll Results: What is Putin's End Game?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russia will stop at Ukraine

    7 29.17%
  • Russia will continue

    11 45.83%
  • It'll eventually all blow over

    2 8.33%
  • It's the beginning stages of WWIII

    1 4.17%
  • Depends on whether the US engages ISIS

    1 4.17%
  • Other

    8 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Putin's End Game?

  1. #1
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Putin's End Game?

    If Russia eventually succeeds in taking over enough of the Ukraine to secure it's petroleum assets, will they invade another country?
    And if so, will the US or NATO actively attack them with a military offensive?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #2
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    If Russia eventually succeeds in taking over enough of the Ukraine to secure it's petroleum assets, will they invade another country?
    And if so, will the US or NATO actively attack them with a military offensive?
    I understand the Ukraine's trying to fast-track NATO membership. That would have a significant effect on events.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I understand the Ukraine's trying to fast-track NATO membership. That would have a significant effect on events.
    That's almost scary, because of the implications of defending a NATO member. It probably wouldn't stop Putin either, because he believes Obama and NATO are pussy whipped.

    I sure hope we don't see another "Cuban Missile Crisis", like we went thru in the 60's.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #4
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    That's almost scary, because of the implications of defending a NATO member. It probably wouldn't stop Putin either, because he believes Obama and NATO are pussy whipped.

    I sure hope we don't see another "Cuban Missile Crisis", like we went thru in the 60's.
    No, I really don't think that will be the case. As evil and as cunning as Putin certainly is, he's not stupid. He is a rational actor. He's not going to start a nuclear exchange. What's more, he realizes that Russia's military is a mere shell of what it once was - short of using nukes, it couldn't take on the NATO forces in Europe alone, much less America's.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    No, I really don't think that will be the case. As evil and as cunning as Putin certainly is, he's not stupid. He is a rational actor. He's not going to start a nuclear exchange. What's more, he realizes that Russia's military is a mere shell of what it once was - short of using nukes, it couldn't take on the NATO forces in Europe alone, much less America's.
    There won't be a direct conventional conflict between Russian and US/NATO forces for any significant amount of time. They'll either back off quickly or it'll escalate out of control.

    Just because of what you said that Putin isn't stupid, though he could be arrogant enough to call a bluff and go to DEFCON 4. I believe Europe would **** their pants over that situation, and give back Putin anything he wanted. Obama though reminds me of Kennedy, one of those walk softly, until he's had enough and pulls out a cannon.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #6
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    If Russia eventually succeeds in taking over enough of the Ukraine to secure it's petroleum assets, will they invade another country?
    And if so, will the US or NATO actively attack them with a military offensive?
    Russia isn't overly concerned with Ukraine's petroleum industry, what they want is to secure Ukraine as a satellite state with all the attendant benefits that provides. Where will they stop? I think if you see this as a long term process then no they wont stop at Ukraine. Transnistria and Moldova, Georgia and Azerbaijan, potential political bridges into Central and Southern Europe, and menacing the Baltic States all strike me as extremely plausible. Fully returning Ukraine to Russian orbit would put Russia back on the frontiers of Central Europe for the first time since 1991.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Putin will continue in the hopes that his soul mate Rand Paul gets elected President. Then peace will break out and both Vlad and Rand have exactly the same viewpoint as to how much the US should be involved in world affairs. Which is not at all.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #8
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Putin will continue in the hopes that his soul mate Rand Paul gets elected President. Then peace will break out and both Vlad and Rand have exactly the same viewpoint as to how much the US should be involved in world affairs. Which is not at all.
    Putin will continue because Obama has more flexibility after his re-election.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Putin will continue because Obama has more flexibility after his re-election.
    The more I read of Rand Paul's foreign policy positions, the more I think he and Vlad are sharing the same speech writer. They are indeed soul mates.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #10
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Putin's End Game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Russia isn't overly concerned with Ukraine's petroleum industry, what they want is to secure Ukraine as a satellite state with all the attendant benefits that provides. Where will they stop? I think if you see this as a long term process then no they wont stop at Ukraine. Transnistria and Moldova, Georgia and Azerbaijan, potential political bridges into Central and Southern Europe, and menacing the Baltic States all strike me as extremely plausible. Fully returning Ukraine to Russian orbit would put Russia back on the frontiers of Central Europe for the first time since 1991.
    How does not having Ukraine's petroleum reserves, especially in the West and Crimea not be an incentive for Russia? They pretty much rely on oil and gas economically, and the Ukraine is a direct connection to Europe's pipelines. I don't think few people would agree with that assessment, though they obviously want to regain as much of the former regions they once incorporated for power.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •