View Poll Results: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is being

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 40.00%
  • No

    21 60.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is being

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    I voted yes, he is being weak.

    For him to tool on off on vacation before devising a strategy to deal with ISIS is inexcusable.

    And I hope to hell he has settled on a strategy with our NATO allies in regard to Russia.

    He must also get to work on a Libyan strategy, pronto.

    I am a conservative Democrat, and Obama was my choice in the last two elections. However, foreign policy problems have arisen since 2012 which may require the attention of presidential greatness, and Obama has done nothing to show that he possesses that quality.
    Why do people continue to think that the President of the United States must remain at the White House to personally handle every foreign or domestic crisis that flares up? Isn't that why he has a National Security Counsel? A Joint Chiefs of Staff? An Ambassador Core run by the State Department? Why does he have to be in the White House 24/7? Because you (pundits) say so? Give me a break. Not even FDR was in the White House every day during WWII. His Cabinet kept him abreast of events as they happened. Such has been the case with every President since George Washington except he (and maybe Andrew Jackson) was the only U.S. President to actually be on-station among the fighting as the war/conflict took place.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    People who are determined to murder Americans and have shown their willingness to do that are always this country's business, wherever they are. For Americans to stick their heads in the sand is a great way to encourage evil people around the world to attack us. You'd think that the 9/11 attacks thirteen years ago would have woken everyone up, but there's always some poor dope who doesn't get the word.

    9-11 was a result of our government's meddling in the affairs of their countries. Throat cutters in headscarves were not sitting around doing nothing and figured it would be fun to fly some some planes into American buildings. I know you probably think its because San Francisco is homosexual capital of the country and that we don't treat women like cattle
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    Well, the question you ask is much more specific here. For instance, I'm not a fan of the job Obama has done overall, or even just with respect to foreign policy. I would like to see Obama approach his response to the Middle East differently. But, despite the fact that I don't necessarily agree with every move he makes with regards to foreign policy, and more specifically, the various situations in the Middle East at present, I do not think that he is being "weak" on foreign policy. "Weak" gets thrown around a lot, but it is generally used by those who want to oversimplify foreign policy, which, in my humble opinion, is the most delicate and complex type of policy, and as such, can be approached in a variety of ways.
    I have to disagree with you when it comes to foreign policy..He is the weakest president on foreign policy in my lifetime........He is clueless on the issue and to come on the other day and says he has no strategy is insane. To tell the enemy when your leaving is also very dumb. All they have to do is sit it out and wait to you leave and that what the enemy did in Iraq......The mid east is boiling over and Obama talks about minimum wage and global warming.....Give me a freaking break.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #24
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have to disagree with you when it comes to foreign policy..He is the weakest president on foreign policy in my lifetime........He is clueless on the issue and to come on the other day and says he has no strategy is insane. To tell the enemy when your leaving is also very dumb. All they have to do is sit it out and wait to you leave and that what the enemy did in Iraq......The mid east is boiling over and Obama talks about minimum wage and global warming.....Give me a freaking break.
    I'll totally agree with you about his ineptitude overall, and the gaffe about not having a strategy doesn't help his case (although, I would argue that frequently this is the case with foreign policy with both Obama and Bush, because despite having fought this type of conflict for going on 14 years now, it's still a very new type of warfare). I just don't think "weak" is the right term for it. I mean, this is a guy that will order as many drone strikes as I do beers on a Friday night if he's in the mood. While I fundamentally disagree with much of his response, I think when he finally does commit to a course of action, he goes balls to the wall with it, so to speak.

    And I can't fault him too much for talking about domestic issues, especially since today was Labor Day. I don't think he's putting foreign policy on the back burner to really focus on the minimum wage or global warming. That was mostly just rhetoric to rally the base when it comes to the midterms, which, I mean, is technically part of his job. Agenda setting and whatnot. I'm sure his real focus is on foreign policy, as misguided as that focus may be.

    I guess I just try to make the point that, hey, I'm not a big fan of the guy, but foreign policy is anything but simple, and he, the joint chiefs, security council, advisors, etc., have access to a lot of information that we don't. So it's easy for us to be overly critical sometimes. The point remains that I haven't been fond of his responses to foreign policy issues, but I focused on the Middle East a great deal while getting my education, so he's treading on territory close to my academic home here. But, as always, it's just my take on it.

    Just depends on how you wanna use the word "weak" I suppose.
    Be skeptical of anyone who wears a political label - party or ideology - with pride. Most of our problems are because people love to "debate" (it isn't debate, but they pretend it is), but are not interested in developing solutions. Solutions require empathy, thought, and compromise, and most folks aren't interested.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    I'll totally agree with you about his ineptitude overall, and the gaffe about not having a strategy doesn't help his case (although, I would argue that frequently this is the case with foreign policy with both Obama and Bush, because despite having fought this type of conflict for going on 14 years now, it's still a very new type of warfare). I just don't think "weak" is the right term for it. I mean, this is a guy that will order as many drone strikes as I do beers on a Friday night if he's in the mood. While I fundamentally disagree with much of his response, I think when he finally does commit to a course of action, he goes balls to the wall with it, so to speak.

    And I can't fault him too much for talking about domestic issues, especially since today was Labor Day. I don't think he's putting foreign policy on the back burner to really focus on the minimum wage or global warming. That was mostly just rhetoric to rally the base when it comes to the midterms, which, I mean, is technically part of his job. Agenda setting and whatnot. I'm sure his real focus is on foreign policy, as misguided as that focus may be.

    I guess I just try to make the point that, hey, I'm not a big fan of the guy, but foreign policy is anything but simple, and he, the joint chiefs, security council, advisors, etc., have access to a lot of information that we don't. So it's easy for us to be overly critical sometimes. The point remains that I haven't been fond of his responses to foreign policy issues, but I focused on the Middle East a great deal while getting my education, so he's treading on territory close to my academic home here. But, as always, it's just my take on it.

    Just depends on how you wanna use the word "weak" I suppose.
    Yes I guess so but unlike past Presidents who supported our military he has total disdain for them and not only was he talking about global warming today and the minimum wage he has been doing it for several weeks. Anything to keep our minds off the ME it seems......He has fired more commanders in the military by far then any other president.......Not only that he has cut their budgets so bad that we no longer can fight wars on two fronts. Thanks to him our ships don't have the money to operate and go to sea .....The scary part to me is he is tearing this country down block by block. The American people better wake up before its to late.......Thanks for your input we will just have to agree to disagree on this one
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #26
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yes I guess so but unlike past Presidents who supported our military he has total disdain for them and not only was he talking about global warming today and the minimum wage he has been doing it for several weeks. Anything to keep our minds off the ME it seems......He has fired more commanders in the military by far then any other president.......Not only that he has cut their budgets so bad that we no longer can fight wars on two fronts. Thanks to him our ships don't have the money to operate and go to sea .....The scary part to me is he is tearing this country down block by block. The American people better wake up before its to late.......Thanks for your input we will just have to agree to disagree on this one
    I can totally respect your opinion on the matter. I'm sure weak is an adjective many would use to describe him.

    I would just add that all his minimum wage talk and global warming talk has been rhetoric. It's agenda setting. But you are absolutely right about his attempt to take our minds off the Middle East. But every President does that when it comes to foreign policy because they don't think we can understand how nuanced it is. In many cases, that's true. In many cases, it's not true.

    I don't think he despises our military by any means. When it comes to firing military commanders, we have to remember that nowadays, military commanders aren't what they used to be. I'm not sure how old you are or when you served in the Navy, but back in my day, commanders were usually former grunts that proved themselves in battle and knew a lot about military strategy. Today's commanders are academics. And for good reason. War is different now in a lot of ways. Our enemy is different, and as such, our response is a lot more complex than it has ever been. So I can understand the higher turnover rate of military commanders. I don't know what his specific reasons are for replacing them, but I can only hope it is for legitimate ones.

    As for the defense cuts, Hagel made clear that the defense cuts were the result of Congress and their sequestration deal. I can't remember Obama's budgetary response to defense in previous budgets, but I'm pretty sure it didn't change very significantly from the past. But yeah, the cuts, regardless of the source, are reducing our military to the smallest size it's been since the 40s, if I recall correctly. Which I don't think is a good thing. There's also the issue of state naval bases, like you mention, that are struggling to operate. I think this is largely due to the sequestration as well, but I could be wrong. A lot of that varies from state to state. I know VA is doing well because we have Norfolk, so we're probably an exception.

    Thanks for letting me give my two cents. I would just like to end by saying that (and this may just be a agree to disagree issue as well) I don't believe Obama is tearing our country down, or even if I choose to believe he is, I don't think it's intentional. I think you and I just operate on different fundamental views than President Obama. And while things aren't necessarily good right now with our defense taking a hit, Obamacare being a disaster, the Middle East in shambles, the abuse of executive power by the executive branch over the past 10 years, etc., I just don't believe we can make Obama the boogeyman for all those problems. The one thing, as an Obama critic, that I try to encourage (and again, it's just my opinion and how I prefer to approach debate) is criticize Obama where he deserves the criticism (and he certainly deserves a lot), but we also have to remember that our divided and corrupt Congress is not innocent in the matter and issues are often more complicated than they appear/we make them. It's easy to make Obama the root of all the problems, but it's not entirely accurate across all fronts. Yes, he's not a great president, but I am wary of blowing his faults out of proportion. It's difficult not to do that sometimes because of the emotional investment we all have in politics, as Machiavelli brilliantly pointed out so long ago.

    Thanks again for having this dialogue with me. It's nice to not have everything be so cut throat, haha.
    Be skeptical of anyone who wears a political label - party or ideology - with pride. Most of our problems are because people love to "debate" (it isn't debate, but they pretend it is), but are not interested in developing solutions. Solutions require empathy, thought, and compromise, and most folks aren't interested.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    I can totally respect your opinion on the matter. I'm sure weak is an adjective many would use to describe him.

    I would just add that all his minimum wage talk and global warming talk has been rhetoric. It's agenda setting. But you are absolutely right about his attempt to take our minds off the Middle East. But every President does that when it comes to foreign policy because they don't think we can understand how nuanced it is. In many cases, that's true. In many cases, it's not true.

    I don't think he despises our military by any means. When it comes to firing military commanders, we have to remember that nowadays, military commanders aren't what they used to be. I'm not sure how old you are or when you served in the Navy, but back in my day, commanders were usually former grunts that proved themselves in battle and knew a lot about military strategy. Today's commanders are academics. And for good reason. War is different now in a lot of ways. Our enemy is different, and as such, our response is a lot more complex than it has ever been. So I can understand the higher turnover rate of military commanders. I don't know what his specific reasons are for replacing them, but I can only hope it is for legitimate ones.

    As for the defense cuts, Hagel made clear that the defense cuts were the result of Congress and their sequestration deal. I can't remember Obama's budgetary response to defense in previous budgets, but I'm pretty sure it didn't change very significantly from the past. But yeah, the cuts, regardless of the source, are reducing our military to the smallest size it's been since the 40s, if I recall correctly. Which I don't think is a good thing. There's also the issue of state naval bases, like you mention, that are struggling to operate. I think this is largely due to the sequestration as well, but I could be wrong. A lot of that varies from state to state. I know VA is doing well because we have Norfolk, so we're probably an exception.

    Thanks for letting me give my two cents. I would just like to end by saying that (and this may just be a agree to disagree issue as well) I don't believe Obama is tearing our country down, or even if I choose to believe he is, I don't think it's intentional. I think you and I just operate on different fundamental views than President Obama. And while things aren't necessarily good right now with our defense taking a hit, Obamacare being a disaster, the Middle East in shambles, the abuse of executive power by the executive branch over the past 10 years, etc., I just don't believe we can make Obama the boogeyman for all those problems. The one thing, as an Obama critic, that I try to encourage (and again, it's just my opinion and how I prefer to approach debate) is criticize Obama where he deserves the criticism (and he certainly deserves a lot), but we also have to remember that our divided and corrupt Congress is not innocent in the matter and issues are often more complicated than they appear/we make them. It's easy to make Obama the root of all the problems, but it's not entirely accurate across all fronts. Yes, he's not a great president, but I am wary of blowing his faults out of proportion. It's difficult not to do that sometimes because of the emotional investment we all have in politics, as Machiavelli brilliantly pointed out so long ago.

    Thanks again for having this dialogue with me. It's nice to not have everything be so cut throat, haha.

    I will leave it at this........Its probably not all Obama's fault.......Before he was elected he never held a job or ran anything but he is the president, supposedly the strongest man in the world and as a great president once said and I paraphrase. "The buck stops here."
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #28
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The middle east is none of our business.So not I do not think Obama is being weak on foreign policy.
    How convincingly naive.

  9. #29
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    President Obama bombs ISIS last week and THEN informs the four congressional leaders today by law.
    This is most certainly a policy.
    And I want him continue to tell our enemies he has "no strategy".
    They know better .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #30
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: In light of current events in the Middle East, do you think President Obama is be

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    If he can deal with ISIS from the air while providing material and logistical aid to support Ukrainian sovereignty without escalating with Russia then I'm all for it. And don't look at what he says look at what he does, do you really think he's going to lay his hand on the table during a press conference?
    Nope - he has his minions leak it on the Sunday talk shows.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •