View Poll Results: Should Tony Stark Hand Over The Iron Man Suit?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 22.86%
  • No

    24 68.57%
  • No, But He Should Be Closely Monitored And Regulated

    0 0%
  • Not Sure

    1 2.86%
  • Other

    2 5.71%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72

Thread: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Watch the party scene from Iron Man 3.

    When I saw that I was like, "Alright, no more toys that go boom for you."
    He did some stupid things, granted, but he saved the world like 4 times with that suit. Dozens more if we're including the comic books. He was human and made mistakes but when **** got bad, he had everyone's back.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Watch the party scene from Iron Man 3.

    When I saw that I was like, "Alright, no more toys that go boom for you."
    That was Iron Man 2, not 3.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    He did some stupid things, granted, but he saved the world like 4 times with that suit. Dozens more if we're including the comic books. He was human and made mistakes but when **** got bad, he had everyone's back.
    It's a bona fide moral dilemma. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you had the authority to let Stark keep his suit or to strip him of it. Now as you say, he's in the habit of saving the world. Unfortunately he's also in the habit of getting epically drunk and nearly killing over a hundred innocent people in the immediate vicinity, as he did in Ironman...2. So he's unstable, narcisstic and an alcoholic. These traits combined are pretty good at resulting in tragedy, given enough time. So what do you tell yourself, knowing beforehand Stark's history of behavior, the day he gets drunk again, puts on Iron Man and really does kill several hundred people?

  4. #64
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
     
    Which was a really stupid idea, the real strength of Iron Man is that Tony Stark chooses to put it on, he's not a mutant, he's not blue, he doesn't have wings, he's a normal person who chooses to put on the armor and be a hero. By using Extremis, which I hate with a passion, he's essentially taken away all of the things that made him a great character to begin with.
    I don't think so myself, he is simply taking his suit technology to the next level. He is still human he just has cool new accessories.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #65
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    No it applies to defense contractors; such as, Lockheed Martin, now he may have been able to claim ownership of the Arc Reactor itself. however, any weapons systems that were designed while Stark Enterprises was under government military contract would be government property, as I already stated the prototype itself was built from the parts of weapons systems specifically designed for the military. Think about it, Lockheed Martin can't designed an advanced multi-role fighter, claim proprietary ownership and refuse to give it to the government and instead put it on the open market.
    It only applies to Defense Contractors under contract, and then only to the degree of the contract. If it is simply a purchase contract then the government really has no say as to what a company may do, except only by law which is fairly limited. Lockheed very well could design a fighter and put it on the market and it has been done in the past, the last that comes to mind is Northrups T-20 Tiger shark. Advance plane development takes boatloads of money so you don't see manufacturers developing warplanes anymore. They want to let the government fund the research and prototyping.
    Last edited by PirateMk1; 08-31-14 at 10:32 PM.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #66
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    There's got to be a law about private energy sources with nuclear capabilities, so again I go back to the Arc Reactor which was in fact designed while Stark Enterprises was a Defense Contractor and I would argue that the Mark I design constitutes the prototype for the Mark II the deciding factor being the Arc Reactor which is the same in both. Furthermore; Tony is not using the suit for civilians uses, obviously.
    Actually that's the sticky widget we have now, because of development in weak nuclear force energy. There is literally no regs for it.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's a bona fide moral dilemma. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you had the authority to let Stark keep his suit or to strip him of it. Now as you say, he's in the habit of saving the world. Unfortunately he's also in the habit of getting epically drunk and nearly killing over a hundred innocent people in the immediate vicinity, as he did in Ironman...2. So he's unstable, narcisstic and an alcoholic. These traits combined are pretty good at resulting in tragedy, given enough time. So what do you tell yourself, knowing beforehand Stark's history of behavior, the day he gets drunk again, puts on Iron Man and really does kill several hundred people?
    To be fair it was one incident, nobody got hurt, and it was only because he was going through some tough stuff.

    One incident after saving my ass dozens of times? I'd be prepared to let him keep it. However, if he continued to abuse it and actually did get people hurt...that would definitely change.

  8. #68
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    To be fair it was one incident, nobody got hurt, and it was only because he was going through some tough stuff.

    One incident after saving my ass dozens of times? I'd be prepared to let him keep it. However, if he continued to abuse it and actually did get people hurt...that would definitely change.
    But then the blood of the people he hurt would be on your hands. After all, you observed the party incident and said, "give the guy another chance."

    By the way, this type of discussion can get nasty fast, so let me clarify that when I call something a "bona fide moral dilemma" I'm specifically illustrating a situation in which there are two terrible choices and neither of them are necessarily correct. So if there's the slightest potential for me sounding like I'm about to accuse you of being a terrible person, rest assured that's not where I'm going with this. I'm just asking you consider all the facts.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-31-14 at 11:02 PM.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    But then the blood of the people he hurt would be on your hands. After all, you observed the party incident and said, "give the guy another chance."

    By the way, this type of discussion can get nasty fast, so let me clarify that when I call something a "bona fide moral dilemma" I'm specifically illustrating a situation in which there are two terrible choices and neither of them are necessarily correct. So if there's the slightest potential for me sounding like I'm about to accuse you of being a terrible person, rest assured that's not where I'm going with this. I'm just asking you consider all the facts.
    Yeah it's a tough dilemma, but statistically speaking he's more prone to do good with the suit than bad. Millions of lives saved put up against one situation where nobody actually got hurt? Those are pretty good odds I'd say.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Should Tony Stark Hand His Suit Over To The US Government?

    Of course he should the government is our friend, and they only act in the citizens best interest.


Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •