View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Switch the track

    17 56.67%
  • Let the train continue

    13 43.33%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 91

Thread: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

  1. #51
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,732

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Who the **** built this train and why aren't the tracks fixed?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #52
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/members/jesse-booth.html
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Send the train to be derailed, then go kill the man tied to the tracks myself. Everybody dies.



    Then hunt down whoever came up with this "dilemma" originally and kill HIM. Slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  3. #53
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/members/jesse-booth.html
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Switch the tracks. I am opposed to sacrificing people against their will, as DifferentDrummr mentioned that aspect several posts ago, but not switching the tracks is sacrificing a ton of people for this one person. Not acting is not only murder from my perspective, which is inexcusable in my mind, it's murder because you're a damn coward, which is both inexcusable and pathetic.

    I wouldn't regret flipping that switch for an instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  4. #54
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Switch the tracks. I am opposed to sacrificing people against their will, as DifferentDrummr mentioned that aspect several posts ago, but not switching the tracks is sacrificing a ton of people for this one person. Not acting is not only murder from my perspective, which is inexcusable in my mind, it's murder because you're a damn coward, which is both inexcusable and pathetic.

    I wouldn't regret flipping that switch for an instant.
    Does doing nothing qualify as "sacrificing," though? Not saying you're wrong or right; just curious about your reasoning on this.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  5. #55
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/members/jesse-booth.html
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Does doing nothing qualify as "sacrificing," though? Not saying you're wrong or right; just curious about your reasoning on this.
    If you do nothing, it is because you are not willing to kill a single person who has been tied to the tracks in order to save an unknown number of people, possibly a handful, possibly a hundred or more. Doing nothing is definitely sacrificing these people, in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Switch the tracks. I am opposed to sacrificing people against their will, as DifferentDrummr mentioned that aspect several posts ago, but not switching the tracks is sacrificing a ton of people for this one person. Not acting is not only murder from my perspective, which is inexcusable in my mind, it's murder because you're a damn coward, which is both inexcusable and pathetic.

    I wouldn't regret flipping that switch for an instant.
    It still could be a train full of Liberals, progressives and other socialist types instead of people. Of course, you don't know if the body on the tracks is a person or a leftist either.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #57
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/members/jesse-booth.html
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It still could be a train full of Liberals, progressives and other socialist types instead of people. Of course, you don't know if the body on the tracks is a person or a leftist either.
    Without knowing who the people are, I have to rely on simple mathematics to determine which option is the least destructive. Also, your partisan humor is getting a little repetitive. You need to work on some new material. Soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  8. #58
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Yup I get the dumba$$ award...I hit the wrong option. I would definitely switch the rails.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,722

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    If you do nothing, it is because you are not willing to kill a single person who has been tied to the tracks in order to save an unknown number of people, possibly a handful, possibly a hundred or more. Doing nothing is definitely sacrificing these people, in this situation.
    And possibly none.

    Only switching the tracks to kill the single person is murder....or at least manslaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #60
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: The Murder Dilemma (an ethics question)

    Dear person tied to the tracks,

    Today is your lucky day! I'll be down there to untie you as soon as I watch the train wreck! There is nothing cooler than a train wreck.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •