View Poll Results: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 18.84%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Depends (Please elaborate)

    15 21.74%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 155

Thread: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

  1. #81
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was immediately relevant to Superfly's comments on teachers controlling their students in the classroom. I dont really care if you were interested in that focus....you CHOSE to insert yourself, to your continued embarrassment.
    Her comments on teachers controlling their students in the classroom was in regard to a belief that a student's unique choice of hairstyle caused or aided unrest within the classroom. It has been a faulty logic from school administration and instructors. I was interested in that focus, which was why I posted ad nauseum about it.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #82
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    First of all, put down the margarita and take note that I have the same venus symbol by my gender that you do. I am certainly not a "he."

    Secondly, when I am talking about a school situation, I am also talking about a classroom situation. The two usually are one and the same. 90% of the day, students are in -- wait for it -- a classroom situation.
    And do 90% of disruptions happen in the classroom, where students are most closely supervised?

    It's Friday afternoon...I will enjoy any libations I choose!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #83
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    No. My son's hair is his business, and possibly mine. Not theirs.
    I would assume that a student's hair might become an issue for the school only if it was ridiculously distracting for other students, and/or dangerous.

    Not sure how you make hair dangerous, but there's probably a way.

    I would guess that the proper chain of events would involve contacting the parent, first.


    Edit: I spelled "hair" hare. Apparently we're talking about poodle bunnies suddenly, or some ****.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #84
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And do 90% of disruptions happen in the classroom, where students are most closely supervised?

    It's Friday afternoon...I will enjoy any libations I choose!
    BTW, I am not one to to generally defend public school teachers however the original comment I responded to seemed unfairly critical. Hence my attempt to open up a conversation on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    No, they shouldn't be allowed to dictate students' hair styles. I've heard that certain hairstyles are banned because they cause a disruption in the classroom. My response to that is to be a better teacher. Get a better handle on your students. If something as simple as a hairstyle disrupts your classroom, then the problem is you, not the students.
    Last edited by Lursa; 08-29-14 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I would assume that a student's hair might become an issue for the school only if it was ridiculously distracting for other students, and/or dangerous.

    Not sure how you make hair dangerous, but there's probably a way.

    I would guess that the proper chain of events would involve contacting the parent, first.


    Edit: I spelled "hair" hare. Apparently we're talking about poodle bunnies suddenly, or some ****.
    Not sure what "shop" classes are called these days, but long hair can get caught in machines.

  6. #86
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And as I wrote, kids interact with each other all over the school...halls, library, sports, other extra-curricular activities, etc. At least in the classroom, the teachers can monitor any abuse. OUtside of the classroom, the kids lack alot more supervision. There was no indication that the disruption happened in the classroom at all, that seems to be your assumption...and you jumped right to blaming teachers.

    However, as I also pointed out, the disruptions anywhere on a school campus can negatively affect the learning environment in the classroom. It just seems unfair to blame teachers without more evidence that issues inside the classroom as the problem.

    And thank you for responding to the actual content in my post. You dont have to agree, but at least you understood it.
    Now this is why I had been convinced you are confusing your own arguments. If you made no commentary at all on hair in the schools (as you seem intent on telling me), either in the classroom or not, you seem to do so in this post and perhaps a couple others.

    There was no indication that the disruption happened in the classroom at all, that seems to be your assumption...and you jumped right to blaming teachers.
    R's thread was stated in general. Now, in many other instances, there have been, for instance, young women, who had been removed from class on the basis that their hair was distracting for other students. If you are referring to what I picked up on for the start of the thread, then no, the incident in question was part of the registration process at the school.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #87
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    BTW, I am not one to to generally defend public school teachers however the original comment I responded to seemed unfairly critical. Hence my attempt to open up a conversation on it.
    It's not unfairly critical. It's basic classroom management skills. It is a statement that many administrators would tell any teaching candidate. If your student body is unruly, that is often a reflection of your classroom management skills. They would also further elaborate by saying, "we will work on it, or we will find you another place of employment."
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #88
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I would assume that a student's hair might become an issue for the school only if it was ridiculously distracting for other students, and/or dangerous.

    Not sure how you make hair dangerous, but there's probably a way.

    I would guess that the proper chain of events would involve contacting the parent, first.


    Edit: I spelled "hair" hare. Apparently we're talking about poodle bunnies suddenly, or some ****.



    Sure, if we're talking about something dangerous like dreadlocks braided with barbed wire, or something ludicrous like a 6' wide Afro.


    But not in the general sense of hair, no.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #89
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Now this is why I had been convinced you are confusing your own arguments. If you made no commentary at all on hair in the schools (as you seem intent on telling me), either in the classroom or not, you seem to do so in this post and perhaps a couple others.

    @_@ I made no reference to 'hair' because 'hair' does not = 'disruption'. 'Hair' is just one type of disruption.

    I cant explain this anymore clearly or with fewer syllables, please give me a break. I have started drinking.

    My comments were regarding teachers and their control of behavior (disruptions) in the classroom and the fact that I found her criticism unfair...and thus looked for further discussion.

    Jeebus. Are you going to on again how I was supposed to be talking about 'hair' because the thread is about 'hair?' Again, I can ask and respond anyway I like. Dont like it? Dont get involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #90
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Not sure what "shop" classes are called these days, but long hair can get caught in machines.
    Some schools no longer have shop classes at all.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •