View Poll Results: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 18.84%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Depends (Please elaborate)

    15 21.74%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 155

Thread: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

  1. #71
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The 'school' encompasses alot more than classrooms and a brief but pithy tirade about teachers controlling their classrooms was something I chose to call out and explore further. (That didnt happen since you sidetracked it and at least Superfly had the sense to retreat if not interested)
    Of course the school has more than classrooms in it. Nevertheless, a common framing of hair regulation and punishment in the public schools is in regard to classroom management issues. If you think that classroom management is not justification for regulating hairstyles, say so. If you think the justifier lays somewhere else (say, in the commons area, a student with a unique hairstyle either harassing or being harassed), that's fine. Nevertheless, her point was quite accurate and you will still get people disagreeing with you about other motivations for regulating hairstyles (in those other areas).

    And it had to be wriiten out several times for you so I'm pretty sure my efforts to dumb it down...altho still wasted...WERE necessary. You provided all the proof needed of that. Mostly by not just graciously retiring by admitting you didnt read it properly the first time, instead of unsuccessfully trying to justify it.
    I read it properly many times. You either did a poor job of explaining yourself or you are completely confused.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #72
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Of course the school has more than classrooms in it. Nevertheless, a common framing of hair regulation and punishment in the public schools is in regard to classroom management issues. If you think that classroom management is not justification for regulating hairstyles, say so. If you think the justifier lays somewhere else (say, in the commons area, a student with a unique hairstyle either harassing or being harassed), that's fine. Nevertheless, her point was quite accurate and you will still get people disagreeing with you about other motivations for regulating hairstyles (in those other areas).
    I gave no opinion at all on anything you just wrote ^^, nada, zero, zippo. You have ZERO idea of what my opinion is on any of that. My comment was regarding teachers only. Again....you are just embarrassing yourself. It's not even reading comprehension...you are inventing stuff.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I read it properly many times. You either did a poor job of explaining yourself or you are completely confused.
    I was very clear and you continue to prove you have your own agenda and are inventing stuff to try and justify the fact that I posted nothing about hair and it's impact in schools.I posted specifically about teachers and their control over students. You just proved it again in black and white.

    Carry on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #73
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I gave no opinion at all on anything you just wrote ^^, nada, zero, zippo. You have ZERO idea of what my opinion is on any of that. My comment was regarding teachers only. Again....you are just embarrassing yourself. It's not even reading comprehension...you are inventing stuff.
    If you gave no opinion on any of that, what on earth was the point of your post? That students cause or are impacted by disruption elsewhere? I already said that was granted, but utterly irrelevant.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #74
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    On;y if the military can.
    I think the Military is still voluntary service. Childhood education is not an option.


  5. #75
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,677

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The ONLY point I was making was in direct context to Superfly criticizing teachers for not controlling kids in the classroom.

    I said that 'disruption' happens outside the classroom as well.'

    "Reading: it's fundamental."
    The entire premise of this thread is about controlling kids in a classroom situation. Not "outside the classroom." My comment was based on your idea that people with ostentatious hairstyles are disruptive, inside the classroom and out.

    Once you are an adult, no one has the authority to tell you how you can wear your hair. However - again - we are talking about inside a classroom setting, or inside a school setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    If you gave no opinion on any of that, what on earth was the point of your post? That students cause or are impacted by disruption elsewhere? I already said that was granted, but utterly irrelevant.
    It was immediately relevant to Superfly's comments on teachers controlling their students in the classroom. I dont really care if you were interested in that focus....you CHOSE to insert yourself, to your continued embarrassment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post

    I was very clear and you continue to prove you have your own agenda and are inventing stuff to try and justify the fact that I posted nothing about hair and it's impact in schools.I posted specifically about teachers and their control over students. You just proved it again in black and white.

    Carry on!
    Sadly, this appears to still be applicable: "Reading: it's fundamental." (It's right there, in red and white.)
    Last edited by Lursa; 08-29-14 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added color on the barest chance it might enable comprehension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #77
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,677

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, he was replying to a thread about school authority (not specifically in the classroom) and chose to use it as a platform to criticize teachers by narrowing the issue to the classroom and their faults.

    Again: context and meaning make a difference when reading. It's very important.
    First of all, put down the margarita and take note that I have the same venus symbol by my gender that you do. I am certainly not a "he."

    Secondly, when I am talking about a school situation, I am also talking about a classroom situation. The two usually are one and the same. 90% of the day, students are in -- wait for it -- a classroom situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  8. #78
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,677

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Reading: it's fundamental." (It's right there, in black and white.)
    Pro:tip --

    You know, it wasn't that funny the first time you said it.

    It's not getting any funnier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    The entire premise of this thread is about controlling kids in a classroom situation. Not "outside the classroom." My comment was based on your idea that people with ostentatious hairstyles are disruptive, inside the classroom and out.

    Once you are an adult, no one has the authority to tell you how you can wear your hair. However - again - we are talking about inside a classroom setting, or inside a school setting.
    And as I wrote, kids interact with each other all over the school...halls, library, sports, other extra-curricular activities, etc. At least in the classroom, the teachers can monitor any abuse. OUtside of the classroom, the kids lack alot more supervision. There was no indication that the disruption happened in the classroom at all, that seems to be your assumption...and you jumped right to blaming teachers.

    However, as I also pointed out, the disruptions anywhere on a school campus can negatively affect the learning environment in the classroom. It just seems unfair to blame teachers without more evidence that issues inside the classroom as the problem.

    And thank you for responding to the actual content in my post. You dont have to agree, but at least you understood it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Pro:tip --

    You know, it wasn't that funny the first time you said it.

    It's not getting any funnier.
    It's not supposed to be funny. It's supposed to be clear and I really cant reduce the syllables or make it any more concise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •