View Poll Results: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 18.84%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Depends (Please elaborate)

    15 21.74%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 155

Thread: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Tell me how hot pink hair is a safety issue. Or a Mohawk.


    In many schools in America, if you come in with hot pink hair you can expect to be going to the hospital with perhaps a few broken ribs later that day.



    Many posts in this thread are exactly indicative of why you need strong Federally mandated policy in public schools. The idea that all parents are good is simply not true. Many of the parents are not good parents or point in fact aren't even parents, they're guardians of said children. Some are openly criminals that barely parent at all. People in this thread are basing their views on a very rigid, middle to upper class preconception of how all parents "ought to be". The reality is far different. Simply a great thread to demonstrate how truly terrifyingly dangerous and irrational the general populace is in respect to their on the ground knowledge of how something like pink hair and or a haircut could possibly create violence. People literally have no idea.

  2. #122
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,697

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    In many schools in America, if you come in with hot pink hair you can expect to be going to the hospital with perhaps a few broken ribs later that day.



    Many posts in this thread are exactly indicative of why you need strong Federally mandated policy in public schools. The idea that all parents are good is simply not true. Many of the parents are not good parents or point in fact aren't even parents, they're guardians of said children. Some are openly criminals that barely parent at all. People in this thread are basing their views on a very rigid, middle to upper class preconception of how all parents "ought to be". The reality is far different. Simply a great thread to demonstrate how truly terrifyingly dangerous and irrational the general populace is in respect to their on the ground knowledge of how something like pink hair and or a haircut could possibly create violence. People literally have no idea.
    Dude. Do you even have kids in school? Kids have had pink hair since the 80s. This is nothing new, and I can't imagine someone with pink hair getting beat up. I have to think that maybe you don't have kids, or might live in one tiny little corner of Kansas that this might actually happen.

    And bad parenting? Been around since, shoot, Adam and Eve. I mean, Cain slew Abel. You kind of **** up as a parent if one sibling kills the other. So just stop with all the hyperbole. Unless you think that a Federally mandated government might have saved Abel.

    You are always going to have bad kids. But hair color or style has absolutely nothing to do with that. I'm pretty sure Cain didn't have pink hair, after all, and he was a murderer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  3. #123
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    In many schools in America, if you come in with hot pink hair you can expect to be going to the hospital with perhaps a few broken ribs later that day.

    Many posts in this thread are exactly indicative of why you need strong Federally mandated policy in public schools. The idea that all parents are good is simply not true. Many of the parents are not good parents or point in fact aren't even parents, they're guardians of said children. Some are openly criminals that barely parent at all. People in this thread are basing their views on a very rigid, middle to upper class preconception of how all parents "ought to be". The reality is far different. Simply a great thread to demonstrate how truly terrifyingly dangerous and irrational the general populace is in respect to their on the ground knowledge of how something like pink hair and or a haircut could possibly create violence. People literally have no idea.
    Where in the heck do you live in America? That hasn't been true in a while. In fact, it would be very bad and a huge deal if a student ended up in the hospital for having pink hair in school, no matter who put them there. Even male students aren't likely to end up with broken bones just for having pink hair.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Public schools.
    You have to have some standards otherwise you invite all kinds of disease.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #125
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,697

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You have to have some standards otherwise you invite all kinds of disease.
    Wait. Don't tell me. Pink hair or a mohawk invite homosexuality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #126
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    I say no, but fashion's moot in the face of the indoctrinated uniformity to which kids are subjected, both in and out of school. A quick note of the difference between the stunted and shattered wreck that emerges from graduation, and the potential god the child once was, glaringly highlights a systematised destructive process for which a bright green mohican could not compensate.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    It's always a laugh to see people intermix notions of idealism with policy. Thread is a perfect example why policy always has to win out, ironically to protect the very people insisting on its demise.

  8. #128
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    I will say though that hair that is consistently in a child's eyes, obstructing their view/eyesight, is going to cause issues with learning and this could be a reason to regulate at least hair length/style just in relation to if it could affect learning, but it should be a very limited area, just enough to ensure there is no obstruction.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You have to have some standards otherwise you invite all kinds of disease.
    Care to be specific?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #130
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I will say though that hair that is consistently in a child's eyes, obstructing their view/eyesight, is going to cause issues with learning and this could be a reason to regulate at least hair length/style just in relation to if it could affect learning, but it should be a very limited area, just enough to ensure there is no obstruction.
    I don't think anyone would be complaining if the school told him he had to tie his hair back into a ponytail and gave him a hair-tie.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •