View Poll Results: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 18.84%
  • No

    41 59.42%
  • Depends (Please elaborate)

    15 21.74%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 155

Thread: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    School rules beyond compliance with laws are based on community standards, aren't they? If a policy needs to be changed, concerns should be addressed to the school board by parents, students, and the school's reps. And whatever those policies are should be followed unless they need to be clarified or changed again.

  2. #112
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    School rules beyond compliance with laws are based on community standards, aren't they? If a policy needs to be changed, concerns should be addressed to the school board by parents, students, and the school's reps. And whatever those policies are should be followed unless they need to be clarified or changed again.
    I'm pretty sure the point is that this shouldn't be the case just because a student is in school. It should be based on whether or not a hair style is distracting from learning, not on what the community wants the children to look like. That isn't the community's place. That violates a child's freedom, especially if the parent has no issue with the child's hairstyle and it is not dangerous. For school, it should also not be offensive or distracting because that would detract from learning. But the standards for these must be from a reasonable person viewpoint, not simply "well that doesn't look right so it would distract me".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Yes.


    So long as taxpayer money is paying for the school, the school should legally be able to dictate if a haircut is unacceptable or a distraction, potential violence starter because that is a public entity and falls under very strict legal settings and codes.
    Student's parents pay taxes, too. Back to square one.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #114
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm pretty sure the point is that this shouldn't be the case just because a student is in school. It should be based on whether or not a hair style is distracting from learning, not on what the community wants the children to look like. That isn't the community's place. That violates a child's freedom, especially if the parent has no issue with the child's hairstyle and it is not dangerous. For school, it should also not be offensive or distracting because that would detract from learning. But the standards for these must be from a reasonable person viewpoint, not simply "well that doesn't look right so it would distract me".
    The school is part of the community, and the community pays for the school. The same children who attend the school are residents of the community, and it's their parents, grandparents, and neighbors who financially support it (as well as support it in other ways). The reasonable parents, teachers, and administrators should meet with the school board to hammer out policies that they can agree are acceptable...understanding, of course, that no matter what the rules are, there will always be somebody who challenges them.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    And good grief, hasn't anybody commenting here been active in the PTA/PTO and etc.?

  6. #116
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Public schools.
    As a rule: the more an authority tries to control legal behavior, the more unconventional behavior becomes in a free society. Why push the boundaries if no one will care?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  7. #117
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    The school is part of the community, and the community pays for the school. The same children who attend the school are residents of the community, and it's their parents, grandparents, and neighbors who financially support it (as well as support it in other ways). The reasonable parents, teachers, and administrators should meet with the school board to hammer out policies that they can agree are acceptable...understanding, of course, that no matter what the rules are, there will always be somebody who challenges them.
    Which doesn't have anything to do with whether the children have a right to wear their hair a certain way. The community has no right for instance to say that boys cannot have long hair or that girls cannot shave their heads just because the community feels these things are unacceptable within their community.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Student's parents pay taxes, too. Back to square one.

    That is entirely irrelevant legally speaking. A public school falls under very strict Federal and State legal proceedings that dictate very clearly that the school has and very much requires to function absolute authoritative ability to dictate student appearance for safety reasons if nothing else.



    What the idiotic parents think about such policies is entirely irrelevant. Have you met most parents? God forbid they have any say over much anything at a public school policy wise.

  9. #119
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,641

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    That is entirely irrelevant legally speaking. A public school falls under very strict Federal and State legal proceedings that dictate very clearly that the school has and very much requires to function absolute authoritative ability to dictate student appearance for safety reasons if nothing else.


    Tell me how hot pink hair is a safety issue. Or a Mohawk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #120
    Student Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    σκότος και φωτός
    Last Seen
    06-23-15 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    162

    Re: Should schools have the authority to dictate student's hair styles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Tell me how hot pink hair is a safety issue. Or a Mohawk.
    a mohawk could jab someone in the eye..

    To answer the OP: no, schools should not have the authority to dictate student's hair styles. Schools and government(s) seem to be attempting to replace parenting. That could lead to a dangerous and unfortunate precedent. Society needs better parents, not less parenting.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •