View Poll Results: If something is a tradition, should laws must reflect it?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    32 86.49%
  • Yes

    2 5.41%
  • Not Sure

    0 0%
  • I LOVE JEWS!!!!

    6 16.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 107

Thread: Traditions

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Traditions

    That would depend upon the tradition in question, and its intrinsic value.

  2. #12
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Traditions

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Jews have been hated so long it's become a tradition. My great grandfather hated Jews, my grandfather hated Jews, my father hates Jews....should I hate Jews because it's tradition?

    If something is a tradition, should laws reflect it?
    India's caste system is a centuries-old tradition, but in recent times the country has made it illegal to discriminate based on caste.

    Do you think that's a bad thing?
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  3. #13
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Traditions

    Like anything else, it depends on the tradition or practice. In many ways, however, I fundamentally agree with the idea that public policy should reflect American principles and traditions. This allows me, however, to engage in a debate as to which principle and tradition should be valued over another in matters of policy.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #14
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Traditions

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    India's caste system is a centuries-old tradition, but in recent times the country has made it illegal to discriminate based on caste.

    Do you think that's a bad thing?
    That I think it's bad that the law no longer supports the caste system? No, but it's more of a shame that the law itself hasn't made a big impact upon actual discrimination of lower castes.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #15
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Traditions

    Much like anything else, tradition is fine so long as observing it doesn't infringe upon the liberties of others or break the law in the process. And as such, it would follow that there would be no reason for the law to interfere with observation of that manner.

  6. #16
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,305

    Re: Traditions

    This OP brings to mind an old Navy saying regarding the Navy; "150 years of tradition uninterrupted by progress."
    That is a real good place to start when discussing tradition.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Traditions

    If it has intrinsic, still relevant value, then it can stand on its own merits and "because that's the way we always did it" is no longer be the basis for the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Traditions

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So? Merely I'm using it as an argumentative tool does not mean it that Jew hating isn't real or a tradition.
    So if a specific family has a tradition of hating Jews, then there tradition is wrong and should be abandoned.

    Jew hatred (or hatred of any group of people) is of course contrary to the Christian tradition which helped build our society.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Traditions

    I'm all about traditions, but any that would require "hate"... NO!

  10. #20
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,883

    Re: Traditions

    Good traditions good, bad traditions bad, knowing the difference...priceless.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •