View Poll Results: Does this worry you?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its Goverment sponsored

    3 17.65%
  • No, its Goverment sponsored

    2 11.76%
  • No, its just an innocent experiment

    1 5.88%
  • It will further erode our 1st Amendment rights

    11 64.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Investigating Hate Speech

  1. #11
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,138

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Murder rate in USA is declining but still high. It is much higher then in Europe.

    Given how popular violent and horror movies are it comes to no surprise.

  2. #12
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Interesting study, our tax money at work, or is it more? Would private funding make me, or perhaps you, less suspicious?


    Feds Creating Database to Track

    First, it is FUNDED by the feds. It's not a research project BY the fed. govt. There's a difference. Universities apply to the fed each year for funding for a lot of research projects. Some are granted, some are denied.

    I see this as a good thing. Knowledge of how information is transmitted, or just about anything, is a good thing.

    But let's face it. If the information is out there on the internet, it can, and will, be gathered, categorized, analyzed. It is already being done by Google and other giant enterprises.

    The one thing such research might show is how a riot gets started, and it may someday prevent a dangerous riot. Twitter is how some of the Middle East takeovers by terrorists were started and organized and recruited through.

    Also, if "machinery," as the University of Indiana (the university whose research program this is) article called it, is what starts rounds of certain hate speech, protests, riots, lootings, criminal activities, or character assassinations, we should know that. That is NOT individual citizens expressing themselves. It is a private machine, created by some group, to cause a certain effect.
    ________________________________

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    First, it is FUNDED by the feds. It's not a research project BY the fed. govt. There's a difference. Universities apply to the fed each year for funding for a lot of research projects. Some are granted, some are denied.
    If the government is aware of something, and they find it useful, they will use it no matter patent applications or anything else. Personally, I worry about any type of gathering system that the government can use to use against the very people they are supposed to be serving.

    Sorry but the NSA has pretty much destroyed ANY support that it once had from me and I will not trust them with any type of gathering device/program/ability. Now they're going to have to EARN my trust and the way things currently are....they don't have a chance in hell of it happening.

    And for those partisan snipes that are sure to follow due to what I said........ yeah, whatever.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #14
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,088

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    They should also restrict violent movies -- they probably contribute to the 12,000 murders per year committed in USA.
    I know... people actually believe anything, even dumb stuff like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,088

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    Murder rate in USA is declining but still high. It is much higher then in Europe.

    Given how popular violent and horror movies are it comes to no surprise.
    Because we all know that they don't watch violent movies in Europe or play violent video games in Japan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #16
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If the government is aware of something, and they find it useful, they will use it no matter patent applications or anything else. Personally, I worry about any type of gathering system that the government can use to use against the very people they are supposed to be serving.

    Sorry but the NSA has pretty much destroyed ANY support that it once had from me and I will not trust them with any type of gathering device/program/ability. Now they're going to have to EARN my trust and the way things currently are....they don't have a chance in hell of it happening.

    And for those partisan snipes that are sure to follow due to what I said........ yeah, whatever.
    I guess I'll just repeat what I said....it's NOT the government's research. It's research by the University of Indiana. They, like many other universities, were able to obtain funding for their project. The project will be owned by, analyzed by, and profited by the university, if any of those things apply. The fed govt would have access, too.

    Results of research projects are usually published in journals.

    This is not a secret gathering mission by the federal government, as you seem to think. Those things don't get advertised in the news, and pay a public university to do it and publish the results!

    Google is probably more dangerous in the respect of gathering information on people. Far more dangerous. Their data is not public and is used for purposes only the company knows about.

    There's nothing scary about the research program, to me. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with it. It's simply a program to analyze PUBLIC tweets. That's it. YOU could do that yourself, if you created a program to gather the info. In fact, some private companies are probably already doing similar things, for profit/advertising purposes. It's not like the Patriot Act, which IS authority for the federal government, and allows the government to listen in on your private conversations, grab your private e-mails from your devices, get your medical records, and have access to all sorts of private information about you. THAT is a violation of the First Amendment. There is some loosy goosy subpoena requirement, but they only have to worry about that AFTER they commit the violation, and they just get a judge to rubber stamp it.

    Were you against the Patriot Act? I was. I actually had nightmares about it. It was so much like Germany pre-WWII that it was scary how easily the public handed over their rights out of fear. So easy. An acquaintance said, "But there's a good reason for it." I responded, "Oh, yes. There is. There is always a good reason to violate our privacy rights. If there weren't, it wouldn't be so easy to scare the people into giving up their rights. But having a so-called good reason is no reason to violate our privacy rights. It's a constitutional right that is not supposed to be taken away."
    ________________________________

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Lots wrong with this, the speech police aren't just the govt-they are also the left-in fact Im guessing thats exactly who is sponsoring this.

    Liberals and govts dont seem to like free speech. Anyone backing this should be run out of town.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    I guess I'll just repeat what I said....it's NOT the government's research. It's research by the University of Indiana. They, like many other universities, were able to obtain funding for their project. The project will be owned by, analyzed by, and profited by the university, if any of those things apply. The fed govt would have access, too.

    Results of research projects are usually published in journals.

    This is not a secret gathering mission by the federal government, as you seem to think. Those things don't get advertised in the news, and pay a public university to do it and publish the results!

    Google is probably more dangerous in the respect of gathering information on people. Far more dangerous. Their data is not public and is used for purposes only the company knows about.

    There's nothing scary about the research program, to me. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with it. It's simply a program to analyze PUBLIC tweets. That's it. YOU could do that yourself, if you created a program to gather the info. In fact, some private companies are probably already doing similar things, for profit/advertising purposes. It's not like the Patriot Act, which IS authority for the federal government, and allows the government to listen in on your private conversations, grab your private e-mails from your devices, get your medical records, and have access to all sorts of private information about you. THAT is a violation of the First Amendment. There is some loosy goosy subpoena requirement, but they only have to worry about that AFTER they commit the violation, and they just get a judge to rubber stamp it.

    Were you against the Patriot Act? I was. I actually had nightmares about it. It was so much like Germany pre-WWII that it was scary how easily the public handed over their rights out of fear. So easy. An acquaintance said, "But there's a good reason for it." I responded, "Oh, yes. There is. There is always a good reason to violate our privacy rights. If there weren't, it wouldn't be so easy to scare the people into giving up their rights. But having a so-called good reason is no reason to violate our privacy rights. It's a constitutional right that is not supposed to be taken away."
    So you don't think that the government wouldn't take this program, perhaps modify it a bit, and use it for their own purposes? Even despite what you say here about the patriot act and such? Interesting.

    As far as the PA goes, yes I was against it. Still am. And it is also the excuse the NSA used in front of the rubber stamp judge to violate our rights. I never fell for the whole "well if you're innocent then you have nothing to worry about crapola.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #19
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Definitely a concern. I dislike hate speech as much as the next guy, but come on now, big brother...
    Be skeptical of anyone who wears a political label - party or ideology - with pride. Most of our problems are because people love to "debate" (it isn't debate, but they pretend it is), but are not interested in developing solutions. Solutions require empathy, thought, and compromise, and most folks aren't interested.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,088

    Re: Investigating Hate Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    Definitely a concern. I dislike hate speech as much as the next guy, but come on now, big brother...
    What if the next guy is me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •