View Poll Results: Does the US have a moral responsibility to combat ISIS

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a moral imperative.

    17 33.33%
  • No, they're not a threat yet worthy of confrontation

    3 5.88%
  • Yes, but only in a limited and supporting role.

    16 31.37%
  • No, it's none of our business

    19 37.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 135

Thread: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

  1. #61
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    I don't think morals should always guide foreign policy. So although I think it is a moral imperative, the question if and what should be done is a different question, as far as I am concerned.

    But if you ask me for moral obligation, I'd say yes, because ISIS is a result of the vacuum that came out of the flawed US Iraq invasion and very inept post-war reconstruction. I was against the Iraq war, among other reasons exactly because I was afraid something like ISIS might happen, but since the war was done, it is now America's responsibility to restore order post-war. The reconstruction and stabilization was obviously not finished yet.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  2. #62
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I don't think morals should always guide foreign policy. So although I think it is a moral imperative, the question if and what should be done is a different question, as far as I am concerned.

    But if you ask me for moral obligation, I'd say yes, because ISIS is a result of the vacuum that came out of the flawed US Iraq invasion and very inept post-war reconstruction. I was against the Iraq war, among other reasons exactly because I was afraid something like ISIS might happen, but since the war was done, it is now America's responsibility to restore order post-war. The reconstruction and stabilization was obviously not finished yet.
    I agree with this statement, also the US has strategic interests in not allowing the ME to spin out. The world still gets enough oil/gas out of the region that any serious destabilization from wars, invasions, revolts or radicals could upend the global economy. Energy is such a basic requirement for modern civilization, and there still aren't enough alternative sources in a growing world.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I agree with this statement, also the US has strategic interests in not allowing the ME to spin out. The world still gets enough oil/gas out of the region that any serious destabilization from wars, invasions, revolts or radicals could upend the global economy. Energy is such a basic requirement for modern civilization, and there still aren't enough alternative sources in a growing world.
    Lol.

    So it's America's moral responsibility because she needs the oil of the region?

    That is not morality...that is opportunism and exploitation.
    You should help people because they need the help, not because they need the help and they have something you want.

    So, you only help those that can offer something in return?

    Got it.


    I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the people that voted 'yes' probably have a warped sense of what 'morality' really is.

    No doubt they disagree.

    No doubt I don't much care.
    Last edited by DA60; 08-26-14 at 04:31 AM.

  4. #64
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol.

    So it's America's moral responsibility because she needs the oil of the region?

    That is not morality...that is opportunism and exploitation.

    You help people because they need the help, not because they need the help and they have something you want.

    So, you only help those that can offer something in return?

    Got it.


    I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the people that voted 'yes' probably have a warped sense of what 'morality' really is.

    No doubt they disagree.

    No doubt I don't much care.

    Is it more moral for the modern world to collapse and a greater number to suffer, to satisfy some misguided sense of right and wrong?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,356

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Saddam committed genocide twice, invaded neighbors twice, intentionally starved 400k children and institutionalized rape.
    Ask an Iraqi who is worse.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    By the way, while I don't believe the US has a moral imperative in the slightest, and I voted no accordingly, I do believe war is good for the US economy so I actually am in overall favor of military action. The US military is an industry and is a critical part of our society. In that sense, yes, I do believe we should bomb Isis. I do not believe we should ever use American troops for almost anything. Not only am I in favor of bombing Isis but I'm also in favor of controlled nuking of several countries.

  7. #67
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Self explanatory thread title. What do you say?
    No, we have a practical responsibility for attacking ISIS. They have threatened the US. 'Nuff said.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  8. #68
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Self explanatory thread title. What do you say?
    ISIS is only there because of the power vacuum we left after our illegal and unprovoked invasion of Iraq. We broke it - and as much as I hate interfering in the affairs of other nations with our military, we are duty bound to help fix it. We cannot fix it ourselves...but we should help those who are best suited to fix it.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #69
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Ask an Iraqi who is worse.
    You mean Kurds and Marsh Arabs?

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,356

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    No, we have a practical responsibility for attacking ISIS. They have threatened the US. 'Nuff said.
    North Korea also threatens the U.S. and we don't attack them.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •