View Poll Results: Does the US have a moral responsibility to combat ISIS

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a moral imperative.

    17 33.33%
  • No, they're not a threat yet worthy of confrontation

    3 5.88%
  • Yes, but only in a limited and supporting role.

    16 31.37%
  • No, it's none of our business

    19 37.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 135

Thread: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

  1. #51
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    We cannot change tribal traditions, not with millions of dollars or with crates of weaponry or with blood. Those tensions run deeper then what the US can, and should do.

    As for ISIS declaring war on the US, they are not a nation, they are a group with radical beliefs. They are not a state sponsored group, so to put boots on the ground is not only irresponsible but immoral. We can on the other hand keep tabs using intelligence on the group and take proactive measures back home to secure ourselves.
    Not wanting to come across as an un-welcoming soul but I would much rather blow up ISIS over there, in Bunfuq Sandoon, than on Bourbon Street or 5th Avenue. I'm kinda selfish that way.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Not true, I just acknowledged that the US can monitor and defend itself in times of need, but that does not mean putting boots on the ground.
    Its legitimate for us to attack our enemies. They have openly threatened the US. Now they get to meet kinetic energy.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Gotta disagree there. Israel, while it is a creation of another is not doomed because of its neighbors.

    Israel is doomed because of the agreement made in the very beginning by Ben Gurion to amass political power. Israel already has a 50% income tax rate on top of the US welfare to support its military and massively out of control growing religious welfare population. While Israel seems to recognize that its biggest threat is in fact internal, every little external threat removes that focus. Israel without major change to how it treats its ultra orthodox who are literally breeding like rabbits and do nothing good for the economy are going to destroy Israel. It was once said that give Israel 6 months of peace and it will tear itself apart. I suspect that is largely true.

    The Arab nations do not possess the military capacity and their leaderships are finding friendly terms with Israel beneficial. Israel's greatest threat does not lie outside its borders. It comes from within.



    Well this is true but again, this truth only highlights the artificiality which is Israel. It isn't a naturalist esq state and doesn't function as one. It has an ad hoc racial nazism of sorts among its Jewish population. Nobody is much allowed to talk about this fact but the truth is Israel is an internally fascist country very much so in how it operates legally. It would as you mentioned tear itself apart if it ever had the time to do so. Its own society has massive, unfix-able contradictions (refusing non-Jews legal rights yet proclaiming to be a democracy).

    The irony being that if Israel gave non Jews rights it would be voted out of existence by its Arab citizens.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Well this is true but again, this truth only highlights the artificiality which is Israel. It isn't a naturalist esq state and doesn't function as one. It has an ad hoc racial nazism of sorts among its Jewish population. Nobody is much allowed to talk about this fact but the truth is Israel is an internally fascist country very much so in how it operates legally. It would as you mentioned tear itself apart if it ever had the time to do so. Its own society has massive, unfix-able contradictions (refusing non-Jews legal rights yet proclaiming to be a democracy).

    The irony being that if Israel gave non Jews rights it would be voted out of existence by its Arab citizens.
    May Arab people vote in Israel?

    Given the fact Israel is usually referred to as the only democratic party in the middle east, I was wondering whether all people living there have a right to vote independently of ...show more
    Best AnswerAsker's Choice

    Martin G answered 5 years ago
    Yes they can vote. Every Israeli over the age 18 can vote, regardless of sex and religion.

    There are Arab parties in Isreal and they do in fact have seats in Parliament; the United Arab List has a few as do Balad.

    Most Arabs in Israel have all the same legal rights as every other Israeli citizen. However, these rights may be obscured in practice because of the political/religious turmoil and culture surrounding the country.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    What a load of crap...a moral imperative.



    This is little to do with morals and everything to do with fear.

    There are plenty of horrific regimes around the world that mistreat their people - Saudi Arabia, North Korea, many African countries are a mess and on and on. And I don't see the American masses talking about a 'moral imperative' to help them. They could care less about them.

    But since ISIS threatened America and beheaded a freelance journalist (who was pretty naive to be running around Syria to begin with - a lone American snooping around in a region that generally hates Americans...not a recipe for a long life)...now ISIS is the new mortal enemy.

    Oh, they were fine when they were treating people horribly as long as they were fighting Assad. But now that they have branched out...now Americans are cowering in fear.

    They always hated Americans, it is just that most Americans didn't care. But now that they have walked over a bunch of unmotivated Iraqi's who fled Mosul as soon as they got close...now they are a 'mortal threat'.

    They are about 10,000 strong, have a little artillery, mostly run around in pickups or captured Humvee's and have ZERO air power...yet they are now a direct threat to America?

    Ridiculous and hypocritical.

    Let's call it what it is...it is not morals (this desire to stop them)...it is FEAR.

    It is time America left the Middle East alone and got on with the business of fixing itself.

    But no, ever since 9/11, the American masses have lost their backbone. They see terrorists everywhere and do whatever it takes to sleep better at night...invade countries, bomb civilians, support horrible regimes (like the Saudi Royal Family), torture people, detain the innocent indefinitely...not to mention get thousands of brave Americans killed in the middle of nowhere and spend trillions that America does not have in the process and on and on.

    America has become the elephant being chased around the ring by a mouse....and the new mouse is ISIS.
    Last edited by DA60; 08-26-14 at 01:44 AM.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    So far ISIS has taken some ground killed some people.

    Al Qaeda did the same sort of thing, and the US didn't get involved until after 9/11, and then it was in a big way.

    Seems likely that we've not learned from that experience, not learned the wisdom of fighting these types of people on their soil rather than ours, so we'll have to go through it again, on our soil, our citizens dieing, until we'll become involved yet again, and then again in a big way, with big expense and big collateral casualties.

    Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    What we have learned from recent history is not to invade a country without having a clue what to do after we win. Because groups like ISIS are the result. ISIS make Saddam look like a Saint. So that is why we must help rid the world of ISIS...we created it by disturbing the balance of power in the M.E. We certainly must take out all the enemy's heavy equipment that we brought to Iraq and we can do that from the air. But the Iraqi's finally need to step up and unite to defend THEIR country too or it will never end. The horror of ISIS might be just what they need to do just that. You're welcome.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 08-26-14 at 01:40 AM.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Self explanatory thread title. What do you say?
    Why do we know this stuff is going on? Then once we find out, why do we even care? It would be nice if we could stop every injustice in the entire world but luxuries like that aren't cheap. They cost the blood of 18-22 year old boys from our country. These nasty Arabs and Jews have been killing each other before Abraham was born. It's pretty arrogant to assume that killing off young American men will stop this 10,000 year old conflict. Let them kill each other. I don't care and have no incentive to care.

    Why don't these idiots just convert to the religion with the most guns and then go have an ice cream cone. Geez! Convert or Die isn't a difficult decision. Just in case you guys don't know the correct answer is to convert.

    Convert already you arrogant slime bags.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    If the US wishes to be a world leader and defender of western values the answer is yes.
    Out time as world leaders is set to expire. I think we should voluntarily step down from the role instead of acting like we are invincible and having the title yanked from us at a very heavy cost.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Out time as world leaders is set to expire. I think we should voluntarily step down from the role instead of acting like we are invincible and having the title yanked from us at a very heavy cost.
    Lots of self-defeatist share this view. Thanks for sharing the opinion.

  10. #60
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Does the US have a moral responsibility to help combat ISIS?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    ISIS make Saddam look like a Saint
    Saddam committed genocide twice, invaded neighbors twice, intentionally starved 400k children and institutionalized rape.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •