View Poll Results: What standard of behavior should police officers be held to?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us.

    43 70.49%
  • They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    13 21.31%
  • They should be held to a lower standard than the rest of us.

    0 0%
  • Other

    5 8.20%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: To what standard should police be held?

  1. #1
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    To what standard should police be held?

    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,303

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    There should be clear rules of behavior stating when the police may do things that others may not, what they are allowed to do in general and they should wear head band cameras to show what they did, so they will not be falsely accused and condemned.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Super human of course. As soon as they put on a badge and a uniform it must be assumed they're a hairs breadth away from the Nazi Gestapo and the repeated failure to give those they arrest a letter of apology along with a copy of the arrest warrant proves they are nothing but jack booted, mentally defective thugs whose very existence is of zero value.

    duh
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #4
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    I checked "Higher standard than the rest of us" and then I wished I could have taken it back. They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us when it comes to malfeasance on the job. You do something improper as a cop, you should have to pay the price. No more, no less.

    Why is a cop who does something "improper" any worse an offender than a teacher who abuses a kid, or a CEO who abuses his power - or a politician who abuses his office?

  5. #5
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Super human of course. As soon as they put on a badge and a uniform it must be assumed they're a hairs breadth away from the Nazi Gestapo and the repeated failure to give those they arrest a letter of apology along with a copy of the arrest warrant proves they are nothing but jack booted, mentally defective thugs whose very existence is of zero value.

    duh
    You've been reading the same threads that I have.

  6. #6
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    In any situation involving power dynamics, the one who has more power should be held to a higher moral standard. This is not to say that the other party should just be allowed to do whatever and held to no moral standard, but in this case the police should be held to a higher standard.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    In any situation involving power dynamics, the one who has more power should be held to a higher moral standard. This is not to say that the other party should just be allowed to do whatever and held to no moral standard, but in this case the police should be held to a higher standard.
    And, of course, there can be no acknowledgment of or allowances made for their humanity. They give that up anyway when they join the force.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #8
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    The law is the law. Breaking it is breaking it. Cops or robbers a crime is a crime. They should be held accountable the same as the rest of us.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #9
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,656

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I checked "Higher standard than the rest of us" and then I wished I could have taken it back. They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us when it comes to malfeasance on the job. You do something improper as a cop, you should have to pay the price. No more, no less.

    Why is a cop who does something "improper" any worse an offender than a teacher who abuses a kid, or a CEO who abuses his power - or a politician who abuses his office?
    hat's what the poll left out.

    Legally, they have to be at the same standard but we should (as should they, themselves) be held to a higher standard when it comes to dealing with conflict.

    From what I have seen the problem we have with all these cops who make YouTube is that they don't just fail to deescalate a tense situation, they make it worse. When I did that kind of thing I didn't have tasers and pepper spray and a bullet proof vest. I also didn't have backup very often. Because of those things it occurred to me that if I got pissed off people to calm down and/or didn't piss them off in the first place it would make my job a lot easier. Most of the time when I got to "put your hands behind your back" folks did so without resisting.

    Then again, the folks I was dealing with had no desire to be on COPS. They were more the Dragnet and Adam-12 kind of criminal.

  10. #10
    Sage
    _Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    somewhere across the border in the great North
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    I believe that they need to be held to a higher standard.

    I should be held to a higher standard than the public in the job that I do because in that particular area I have more experience, more knowledge and more power...thus I need to be more accountable.

    I expect it to be the same for them. They are trained professionals.

    Now having said that, if they are not screened properly and if people are placed into roles/jobs where they simply can not rise to the level of competence and expectation, then those who oversee/lead/screen them need to be held accountable especially when things get FUBAR and that does happen as we all know.

    Peter principal applies here too.

    I think we need to remember that in situations which go awry.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •