View Poll Results: What standard of behavior should police officers be held to?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us.

    43 70.49%
  • They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    13 21.31%
  • They should be held to a lower standard than the rest of us.

    0 0%
  • Other

    5 8.20%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 110

Thread: To what standard should police be held?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    all cops are good


    Nobody with any brain would say that because there is no perfection in the world. There are almost 1 million police officers in this country. It's unrealistic to believe that in a group that large, you will find all goodness.

    Of course a policeman has power. So do teachers. So do lawyers - hell, lawyers have someone else's life in their hands. I'm a sales manager - I have power too.

    You will always find people who abuse power. MOST don't. Just like you can find a scared teenager who drowns her newborn in a toilet, but MOST scared teenage mothers don't do that.

    A pilot drinking on the job isn't relevant to the "hold to a higher standard than the rest of us" discussion. None of us are supposed to be drinking and operating a machine. The mechanic isn't supposed to be drinking while fixing the plane either, and he will get fired if caught, so no, the pilot is not held to any higher standard than the rest of us.

    Anyone who breaks a law or gets caught abusing his/her power should be punished, no matter what position that person is in.
    Pilots are held to a higher standard with regard to drinking. A pilot who drinks ANYTHING within 8 hours of flying under Part 91 (general aviation) is violating FAA regulations and subject to having his ticket yanked. The regulation under Part 121 (air transport operations) may be as high as 24 hours - I don't remember off hand and I don't have time to look it up. Obviously
    those are higher standards than people who drive cars.

    I could easily find many other examples, suffice to say that the regulations that pilots live under cover a couple hundred printed pages. Drivers of cars are much less stringently regulated.


    Cops have far more power than any of the occupations you listed. They embody the state, they are generally presumed to not be lying when they use that power against you, they have qualified immunity. There are few people in this society who could ruin your life faster than a cop who decided to abuse his authority.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    They should obey and enforce the law...the rest is gravy.

  3. #73
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Police have been given weapons and authority. When those are abused, it is a serious matter, far more serious than many of the petty crimes that end up being execution offenses. I have seen horrible abuses of police authority... google "Fullerton police beat homeless man to death" for an example of incredible abuse of authority, of downright murder under color of authority, and complete exoneration of those crimes for no other reason than their position as police officers.

    However, there is another abuse that we also see all too often... the abuse of guilt assumption for no other reason than they are police officers, so any time they use their weapons they must automatically be gleefully abusing their authority to murder.

    I honestly have no idea what Ferguson officer Wilson knew or didn't know when he shot Mike Brown dead, what kind of struggle did or did not precede the incident, how the officer's face became bruised and swollen... and the bottom line is that nobody beyond the officer himself and those who have interviewed him personally know either. Forensics and thorough investigation will tell the tale, but for hundreds of individuals... perhaps even thousands... nothing less than conviction and life in prison will suffice, even though they cannot possibly know the details of what happened that day. He was a cop; the victim was an unarmed kid. Guilt is presumed, and unless the justice system confirms what these people have determined to be fact, there will be hell to pay.

    I have been unabashedly outspoken when convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that police have abused their authority to kill and maim; but I'm not willing to presume that every officer who uses his weapon is automatically a cold-blooded killer protected by a blue line of lies. In this case, some of the "eye witnesses" have given statements that evidence proves is untrue. He was not shot in the back, running away; all the bullet wounds were in the front. There is no physical evidence that his hands were above his head; in fact, the bullet wounds indicate that his arms may have been extended as he faced the officer, perhaps in the same way he extended his arms as he intimidated the store clerk with his 300 lb, towering frame.

    I hate stories like this, where everyone takes a "side" instantly, and any evidence that doesn't support that "side" is automatically perjured, fabricated or manufactured. Nobody is willing to wait for the full investigation, because the full investigation may not support what we believe, and therefore is automatically judged to be a whitewash and a lie. That concerns me greatly.

    As I've said, I do not know what happened. The problem is that neither does anyone else, yet that doesn't stop them from demanding that a man who has neither been indicted nor arrested be put in prison just because they want vengeance, and truth be damned. That is not supposed to be what this country is about.
    The Ferguson situation has evolved... devolved?... into an interesting one because it has a lot of what you say.

    First, the shooting, and all on one side reflexively blamed the cop.

    Then something was released that suggested maybe Mr Brown was doing something wrong, and all of the extreme supporters of the other side immediately jumped up and pointed to that as if they were vindicated.

    Rinse and repeat back and forth a couple more times and I've lost track. Meanwhile, very few people have actually slowed down and tried to piece anything together.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The standard procedure after a police shooting, no matter the circumstance, is to put the officer involved on paid leave for the six months* or more it takes for his/her co-workers to do an investigation. Then, after the investigation, a secret meeting or hearing is held by his/her superiors and 98% of the time the shooting is determined to be justified due to the circumstances and the officer can return to their normal duties.

    *In some cases they are reassigned to do office work.
    Never heard of it taking six months. You have a link to any of your statement or proof or anything other than cop hate?

  5. #75
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    The problem is systemic, I believe. Right now the police have been heavily militarized (even though they are not military) because of the Drug War and the War on Terror to the point where they use military (rather than civilian) tactics, weapons and doctrine against suspects and people who question their authority. The only ones who could effect a change in this are city mayors, state legislatures and Congress. Its no longer about serving the people, rather its about enforcing the (too many) laws out there.

  6. #76
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So do we, including in our biggest city here in NH (Manchester).

    They get fired for on the job malfeasance, and off the job malfeasance.
    There is a lot of turnover in our police department here, well first, because there's more money in joining the Border Patrol or Customs but also because a lot of the patrol officers feel their higher ups don't have their back. Even a complaint from the demonstrably violent and lying criminal can get them a black mark on their record.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #77
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    They are government and the wield the power and sovereignty of the People; they must be held to a much higher standard with much stiffer punishments than the rest of society.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #78
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    They should obey and enforce the law...the rest is gravy.
    That's it. Yes, because of the specific consequences and risks involved with their jobs, many professions have rules, regulations, and requirements that apply to people in those professionals that don't apply to the rest of us. That, however, is not holding a person to a higher standard than other people. It is simply holding them to a standard appropriate for the profession they are in. Anybody in public office who violates the public trust should be held accountable and should suffer the appropriate consequences for doing that. There should be no exceptions. But the idea that a rogue cop out of a department of mostly good cops is going to shake the public's confidence more than a bad mayor or justice department or election official or governor or senator or president is just absurd.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #79
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Higher standard...they are given additional power by the rest of us and that means they should be held to a higher standard when exercising that power.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #80
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,899

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Strongly disagree to your heart's content, but I won't change my mind and agree with you that police officers must be more honest and above reproach than anybody else who holds the public trust
    I didn't say they should be held at a higher standard than others who hold a government position. I said they should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •