View Poll Results: What standard of behavior should police officers be held to?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us.

    43 70.49%
  • They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    13 21.31%
  • They should be held to a lower standard than the rest of us.

    0 0%
  • Other

    5 8.20%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 110

Thread: To what standard should police be held?

  1. #11
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Super human of course. As soon as they put on a badge and a uniform it must be assumed they're a hairs breadth away from the Nazi Gestapo and the repeated failure to give those they arrest a letter of apology along with a copy of the arrest warrant proves they are nothing but jack booted, mentally defective thugs whose very existence is of zero value.

    duh
    I just wish they would get out of the movie making business, myself. Hiring these exact lookalikes to indulge in menacing behavior and then doctor the footage to look like the grainy stuff captured on a surveillance camera -- I mean really now.

    Have they no shame?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #12
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    I expect LE to work within the laws and standards of their job.
    I expect people to work and live within the laws and standards we have.

    If we did, we would have less conflict within the US

  3. #13
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And, of course, there can be no acknowledgment of or allowances made for their humanity. They give that up anyway when they join the force.
    Never said that, but good job on attempting to put words in people's mouths because you can't actually refute their statement.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    I expect LE to work within the laws and standards of their job.
    I expect people to work and live within the laws and standards we have.

    If we did, we would have less conflict within the US
    Nicely said, Mike.

  5. #15
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Never said that, but good job on attempting to put words in people's mouths because you can't actually refute their statement.
    I appreciate your complete capitulation.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #16
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    Anytime life or death is in one's hands, they should be held to a higher responsibility and they should be advised when they accept such employment that is the official position. In this Nation, they have a cultural attitude to protect their own. I think that is a flawed attitude. They need support, but not protection.

  7. #17
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Anytime life or death is in one's hands, they should be held to a higher responsibility and they should be advised when they accept such employment that is the official position. In this Nation, they have a cultural attitude to protect their own. I think that is a flawed attitude. They need support, but not protection.
    Probably if they weren't constantly berated and accused of being murderers and being falsely accused of things like in the Tawana Brawley situation, they wouldn't have such a circle the wagons mentality.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #18
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,679

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    In any situation involving power dynamics, the one who has more power should be held to a higher moral standard. This is not to say that the other party should just be allowed to do whatever and held to no moral standard, but in this case the police should be held to a higher standard.
    I think you're spot on.

    The difference here is akin to that of a parent disciplining a child. The process needs to be consistent, fair and firm while still showing love and compassion.

    Cops should be experts at diffusing tense situations using the least amount of force necessary. A cop who is respectful to those he contacts under all but the most extreme circumstances will generate confidence and respect from the community.

    I will grant that there are those that the cops will meet who will not respond to courtesy and reason. Some folks are just plain bad but most of them are also known in their community and the community will understand a more heavy handed approach when the cop deals with that person.

  9. #19
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    IThere job is to maintain order, and make the community safe, they should be held to a very high standard.


  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    A higher standard. For two reasons. 1) The power they wield. 2) The public trust they have been conferred.

    It's interesting to note that many of the LEO sycophants aren't willing to give average people the same amount of lee-way that they want police to have. Pretty hypocritical.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •