View Poll Results: What standard of behavior should police officers be held to?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us.

    43 70.49%
  • They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.

    13 21.31%
  • They should be held to a lower standard than the rest of us.

    0 0%
  • Other

    5 8.20%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 110

Thread: To what standard should police be held?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I checked "Higher standard than the rest of us" and then I wished I could have taken it back. They should be held to the same standard as the rest of us when it comes to malfeasance on the job. You do something improper as a cop, you should have to pay the price. No more, no less.

    Why is a cop who does something "improper" any worse an offender than a teacher who abuses a kid, or a CEO who abuses his power - or a politician who abuses his office?
    Because normally the CEO or the teacher isn't armed like a member of Seal Team Six.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #92
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I have and have had family members and close friends who are/were in law enforcement and yes, there is a growing trend to accuse/blame the cop first and make a huge deal of possible wrong doing. But once he is shown to be in the right, there is rarely notice given to that. That kind of thing wears a person down after awhile. You can do a good job for only so long when everything about your job is seen as negative and bad or suspicious and you get almost no appreciation for the really difficult and necessary job that it is. Most especially if the whole department is tarnished by the one, very rare bad cop.
    Frankly many PDs bring it on themselves with the whole Blue Wall of Silence thing. Most cops are good hardworking people who do a thankless job but there is no excuse for knee jerk defense of obvious bad actors. All that does is tarnish all cops.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #93
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I have and have had family members and close friends who are/were in law enforcement and yes, there is a growing trend to accuse/blame the cop first and make a huge deal of possible wrong doing. But once he is shown to be in the right, there is rarely notice given to that. That kind of thing wears a person down after awhile. You can do a good job for only so long when everything about your job is seen as negative and bad or suspicious and you get almost no appreciation for the really difficult and necessary job that it is. Most especially if the whole department is tarnished by the one, very rare bad cop.
    Except in high-profile cases, i.e. OJ Simpson for example, scant notice is reported if an average citizen is acquitted, too. The headline accusing someone of murder gets page 1, while the acquittal (or worse, charges dropped) gets a blurb on page 17... if anything at all. Police aren't any different in that regard.

    Police blotters in newspapers are even worse. Joe Schmoe was arrested for drunk driving. Charges get dropped, the paper makes zero attempt to say that part. The public perception of guilt is left hanging.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #94
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Frankly many PDs bring it on themselves with the whole Blue Wall of Silence thing. Most cops are good hardworking people who do a thankless job but there is no excuse for knee jerk defense of obvious bad actors. All that does is tarnish all cops.
    Bingo. To a great degree, if police hate their jobs, they have only themselves to blame. By covering up for the relative few who are bad and/or corrupt, they only make it harder for themselves. If they would help drive out the bad/corrupt few, their public image would improve and their jobs would be easier.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #95
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Frankly many PDs bring it on themselves with the whole Blue Wall of Silence thing. Most cops are good hardworking people who do a thankless job but there is no excuse for knee jerk defense of obvious bad actors. All that does is tarnish all cops.
    As does the knee jerk reaction, much more common, to assume the cop was in the wrong before all the facts are known.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #96
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Except in high-profile cases, i.e. OJ Simpson for example, scant notice is reported if an average citizen is acquitted, too. The headline accusing someone of murder gets page 1, while the acquittal (or worse, charges dropped) gets a blurb on page 17... if anything at all. Police aren't any different in that regard.

    Police blotters in newspapers are even worse. Joe Schmoe was arrested for drunk driving. Charges get dropped, the paper makes zero attempt to say that part. The public perception of guilt is left hanging.
    Yup. Good comparison. I guess I am so conscious of the fact that the average cop will almost always risk his life to save mine when necessary, and I am so aware of the real stresses and difficulty that is built into their jobs, and I am so aware of how unappreciated they are, I have a soft spot in my heart for the cop on the beat and usually give him every benefit of the doubt which most people these days don't do. The presumption of innocence until proven guilty is rarely ever extended to the cop.

    Yes there are bad cops and these should not be tolerated by anybody. And there are those very few individuals who use their uniform and authority to be real jerks. But these are so much the exception instead of the rule, I feel pretty safe thinking the cop is much more likely to have acted rightly than wrongly.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #97
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    A lot of the time when discussions come up of police mishandling something, you get people defending them by saying how difficult their job is. That got me curious about how people feel about the subject in general?

    To what standard of behavior do you think police officers should be held while on duty? Should they be held to the same standard as anyone else? Should they get some slack because of their difficult job? Or should they be held to a higher standard of behavior because of the enormous amount of power they wield?
    American cops should be held to the example of Robocop
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  8. #98
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Yup. Good comparison. I guess I am so conscious of the fact that the average cop will almost always risk his life to save mine when necessary, and I am so aware of the real stresses and difficulty that is built into their jobs, and I am so aware of how unappreciated they are, I have a soft spot in my heart for the cop on the beat and usually give him every benefit of the doubt which most people these days don't do. The presumption of innocence until proven guilty is rarely ever extended to the cop.

    Yes there are bad cops and these should not be tolerated by anybody. And there are those very few individuals who use their uniform and authority to be real jerks. But these are so much the exception instead of the rule, I feel pretty safe thinking the cop is much more likely to have acted rightly than wrongly.
    As a general rule, while most people say they believe in "innocent until proven guilty", I believe that most people really don't.

    General comment, applies to all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #99
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    I am held to a higher standard than most people at the job I do. I am expected to perform it in a better capacity than the average person. That's why my company employs me. My job involves computers, I make sure I am knowledgeable about things pertaining to my job so that I can complete it to the best of my ability.

    Likewise, cops should be held to a higher standard than most people at the job they do. Their job involves setting a behavioural example, amongst other things such as conflict resolution. Thus they should be held to a higher standard when it comes to these things. If you aren't capable of doing that, don't become a cop. There's a reason that cops should be applauded for the very difficult job they do (and it is a difficult job, I definitely couldn't do it), is because their job REQUIRES them to be held to a higher standard at these very difficult things.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  10. #100
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: To what standard should police be held?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    As does the knee jerk reaction, much more common, to assume the cop was in the wrong before all the facts are known.
    No doubt. However the whole thing stems from an "us vs them" attitude that is brought about in large part by police department policies and the insularity of the
    police culture. The public is wrong to convict a cop without a trial but the reaction is at least understandable. If the police want that to change, if they want their relationship with the public to change, it's incumbent on them to change since it's largely their actions that gave rise to this situation in the first place.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •