View Poll Results: Will you read Paul Ryan's Book?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he is and yes I would

    6 21.43%
  • No

    22 78.57%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea: Paul Ryan: 9781455557561: Amazon.com: Books

    I'm not a real big fan of Paul Ryan myself. I think he's an Establishment player who derides the government, calls for less government, all the while never holding a job outside the government.

    Having said that, he's here, he's a media darling, and he is a player. So, I just ordered his book and hope to God that it is more interesting than I fear...

    Who else has bought/will buy?

    What do you think of him?

    Is he a contender?

    *** Some autofill nonsense happened with the poll, the first choice is simply "Yes"
    No, but it's not necessarily a statement on Ryan. Books written by politicians are just usually boring reads, especially when they are clearly candidate promotional material. The exception is Presidential memoirs.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,750

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    You're confusing reality with perception. He got the Dem Candidacy because he was black. After the Bush travesty it was a given that the Dems would be in the WH. I voted for Obama in 08, but I was voting against McCain, not for Obama. They didn't know that when they voted for him, did they? And then you got McMillionaire talking of 49 or 51% or whatever the hell that was in a time where a great majority of Americans are in squalor, of course he was gonna get re-elected.
    That's entirely wrong. Democrats were pushing very, very hard in minority neighborhoods to get blacks and Hispanics to register to vote so they could vote for a black man. I have several friends who never voted in their lives but registered just to vote for Obama based on his skin color, because it was a "historic event", and have never voted again since. In fact, Obama's candidacy is largely responsible for anti-gay legislation like Prop 8's passage, the poor black and Hispanic communities who came out for Obama's skin color are also traditionally very religious and also voted for anti-gay hate.

    Thanks Obama! I mean, I voted for Obama in '08 too, also voting against McCain. I didn't give a damn about Obama's skin color at all, he was the least detestable of the two options at the time.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #23
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's entirely wrong. Democrats were pushing very, very hard in minority neighborhoods to get blacks and Hispanics to register to vote so they could vote for a black man. I have several friends who never voted in their lives but registered just to vote for Obama based on his skin color, because it was a "historic event", and have never voted again since. In fact, Obama's candidacy is largely responsible for anti-gay legislation like Prop 8's passage, the poor black and Hispanic communities who came out for Obama's skin color are also traditionally very religious and also voted for anti-gay hate.

    Thanks Obama! I mean, I voted for Obama in '08 too, also voting against McCain. I didn't give a damn about Obama's skin color at all, he was the least detestable of the two options at the time.
    No, that's not entirely wrong. The Clinton Machine had it in the bag. Then, came Obama. Independents and swing voters didn't vote en masse for Obama cause he was black that is completely absurd. I'm not saying NO ONE voted for him for that reason but not in the proportion which would make it the reason he won. It was the perfect storm.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,750

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    No, that's not entirely wrong. The Clinton Machine had it in the bag. Then, came Obama. Independents and swing voters didn't vote en masse for Obama cause he was black that is completely absurd. I'm not saying NO ONE voted for him for that reason but not in the proportion which would make it the reason he won. It was the perfect storm.
    Even Samuel L. Jackson says that's why he voted for Obama, because he was black. I think there's a lot more influence there than you're willing to give credit to. It was the grassroots, not the Democratic political machine that won.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #25
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,491
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Books written by presidential hopefuls generally tend to be structured less to educate than to play to a base and/or lay a foundation for one. Thus they are usually more self serving than really useful. A careful analysis of Obama's books, for instance, is to give the illusion of reasonableness and middle-of-the-road normalcy while containing all the right code phrases to reassure the black community that he wasn't an 'oreo' and his liberal base that he could be trusted to stick with the progressive doctrines. I haven't read Ryan's book but I can almost bet that it is structured to make him appear less-than-right-wing-radical while reassuring his base or intended base that he is trustworthy to hold the line on conservative values.

    So will I go out and intentionally buy it? Probably not. But if it is offered as a daily deal or sale price on my Kindle? I would probably download it and read it while sitting in waiting rooms and such. I didn't answer the poll because there was no 'maybe' or 'other' option offered.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #26
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Even Samuel L. Jackson says that's why he voted for Obama, because he was black. I think there's a lot more influence there than you're willing to give credit to. It was the grassroots, not the Democratic political machine that won.
    I'm giving credit in the right proportion. It was more than grass roots, it was grass roots combined with the Machine. Not just simply the Dem machine, that came later, and has been transformed. I'm talking the REAL machine, the Machine I see with every move Obama makes that drives GOPers and myself at times, NUTS. The Chicago Machine.

    It's what brought him up, it's what got him elected, and it's how he governs.

    If you're unfamiliar, here's a good synopsis by an outsider, and victim.

    How the Chicago Machine Works | Jay Stone for Mayor of Chicago

  7. #27
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    did you make time for Krauthammer?
    Krauthammer is such a total sh*tbag. He takes extremely complicated issued and perverts them taking out nearly all of the context and history to attack Democrats while leaving out that Republicans share the blame.

    Ever read some of his opinion pieces? It is amazing that he doesn't get castrated by the intellectuals of the GOP for being a total vomit bag.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #28
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Boehner once said he wasn't an expert on the economy--good thing for him Paul Ryan is.

    I'll be interested to hear the excerpts on Jack Kemp, the falling apart of Simpson/Bowles,
    the falling apart of the Supercommittee, and the failed Grand Bargain of 2011, for starters .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #29
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea: Paul Ryan: 9781455557561: Amazon.com: Books

    I'm not a real big fan of Paul Ryan myself. I think he's an Establishment player who derides the government, calls for less government, all the while never holding a job outside the government.

    Having said that, he's here, he's a media darling, and he is a player. So, I just ordered his book and hope to God that it is more interesting than I fear...

    Who else has bought/will buy?

    What do you think of him?

    Is he a contender?

    *** Some autofill nonsense happened with the poll, the first choice is simply "Yes"
    I will defintely buy it and read it but then I bought Hillary's trashy book to........Go figure.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Who's Going to Buy/Read Paul Ryan's New Book?

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    I applaud your staunch fiscal conservatism, Mr. Cheapskate.

    Actually now that I realize the thread didn't say Rand Paul, I won't end up even bothering to read this or download it. If I want to hear rich people moan I'll turn on Fox News. Paul Ryan is a hack.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •