View Poll Results: If you didn't have to campaign, and could work for a max of 8 years?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, I'd love to be president.

    14 35.00%
  • No, I wouldn't want the job under any circumstances.

    21 52.50%
  • Other (explain)

    5 12.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Do you want to be president?

  1. #21
    User ZalmoxeAgoraeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brăila, Romania
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    No.

    Because of many reasons but let's start with the ones who may upset some people. Because power, real power and really, the only kind of power that counts, is not in politics, finance or any of such "fields" that people usually associate. There is just 1 true source of power and that's knowledge and technology. Anything else is a mirage. But technology... that's real.

    So if you want real change, don't put your hope in politics, put it in technology and science. That's the only real source of change because it is the only real source of power.
    So why trade the path I'm on with an inferior one, as in, being in politics.
    Science and technology can bring more harm, if "the powers", great or small, use them wrong.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZalmoxeAgoraeus View Post
    Science and technology can bring more harm, if "the powers", great or small, use them wrong.
    Yes, well, the point is not the end effect, it's where does real power lie.
    The world today is as good as it is because of science and technology and as bad as it is because of petty politics.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    No.

    Because of many reasons but let's start with the ones who may upset some people. Because power, real power and really, the only kind of power that counts, is not in politics, finance or any of such "fields" that people usually associate. There is just 1 true source of power and that's knowledge and technology. Anything else is a mirage. But technology... that's real.

    So if you want real change, don't put your hope in politics, put it in technology and science. That's the only real source of change because it is the only real source of power.
    So why trade the path I'm on with an inferior one, as in, being in politics.
    This is delusional cynicism if you'll pardon the offense. The Presidency is an enormously powerful tool for affecting national and global policy on almost every subject imaginable--including science & technology. As President you would be in an unparalleled position to champion funding for NIH, DARPA, NASA, and slew of other institutions. Just look at the Human Brain Initiative, Exascale computing, and the reversal of stem cell funding policies as some of the more famous examples. Beyond that the President has the ability to support loan initiatives and similar policies to back promising companies (a la Tesla). Furthermore as President you could conceivably devote a considerable amount of your agenda to a completely new scientific or technological initiative if you so desired.

    Unless you are the next Elon Musk I highly doubt you could do more to advance the fields of Science or do more to develop new technologies on your chosen career path than the President of the United States.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,800

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Nope.

    But since we're fantasizing, I'd rather be queen, with complete control. (yes, benevolent dictator)

    I think I'd go with Sean Bean as prince-husband (not king...remember, I'm in charge)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #25
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I wonder how a president can only make 500k (expenses included,) a year and still be a millionaire?

    Deferred bribery, that's how. "Do this favor for me now and I will give you 100k for a 15 minute speaking engagement when you get out of office."

    My favorite is, "I will buy 5000 copies of your book if you hook a brother up on this federal contract."

    ****ing crooks. All of them.
    Do you have evidence of book sales or speaking fees being well outside market value at the time?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    as prince-husband (not king...remember, I'm in charge)
    Wait, what?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,800

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post

    Wait, what?
    You know, like Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    This is delusional cynicism if you'll pardon the offense. The Presidency is an enormously powerful tool for affecting national and global policy on almost every subject imaginable--including science & technology. As President you would be in an unparalleled position to champion funding for NIH, DARPA, NASA, and slew of other institutions. Just look at the Human Brain Initiative, Exascale computing, and the reversal of stem cell funding policies as some of the more famous examples. Beyond that the President has the ability to support loan initiatives and similar policies to back promising companies (a la Tesla). Furthermore as President you could conceivably devote a considerable amount of your agenda to a completely new scientific or technological initiative if you so desired.

    Unless you are the next Elon Musk I highly doubt you could do more to advance the fields of Science or do more to develop new technologies on your chosen career path than the President of the United States.
    He's only this powerful because of technological advances that permit the USA to be such a great nation.

    Politicians... you know, making laws, giving speeches, administrating the affairs of the state...

    But let's look at it logically. And it's not fair to asses myself vs a president coz I'm at the start of my career while the president is like, the ultimate position in politics. It's the end of the career. So lets look between a politician and a software engineer.

    A politician needs, to get into a function that matters like US federal congress or president, a lot of money. For president, tens of millions ever 4 years. So you pay millions to get a job.
    A software engineer needs about 1500$ every 4 years to get a good computer. Initially, maybe 500$ more to get another monitor or maybe 2more. Oh, and let's not forget, a software engineer doesn't need the masses to allow do his job.

    A politician passes laws that people can or can not follow. You can break the law and unless you get caught, you're free. Same for all. And the law is flawed, like the tax code for instance, allowing people to profit off of it and politicians are none-the-wiser.
    Software engineers write code that is obeyed every time and can be ammended by one person anytime he wants.

    A politician, well, a dedicated one, works at all hours, wakes up in the middle of the night if he must and stays up time and time.
    So does a software engineer.

    A politician passes bills and makes purchases of security devices for which a software engineer writes the code that makes those things work.

    For a politician to hold a speech that is heard accross the world, someone has to write the code allowing for AV bytes to be transferred in a correct and efficient manner from one device to another.

    A politician answers to his peers and to the public.
    A software engineer answers to his client and if one does something just for himself, he answers to no-one.

    The examples can go on and on.
    It is just 1 thing that makes people and countries powerful, and that's technology. Nations with people who are skilled in technology, who make advances in this field, will be strong countries and the politicians there will wield more power on the international stage, by the grace of the STEM field workers who build up that country. That's why I say it is the only real power in the world.

  8. #28
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,018

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    And who would your veep be?

    Edit: he or she would have to be constitutionally eligible.
    Yes please. I've always wanted to age thirty years in an eight year period. Shia Lebouf could be my veep.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    Yes, I would be President. But I could guarantee that both Republicans and Democrats would hate me. So much so that I would either be impeached or have my vetoes over ridden every single time just to spite me. Which by the by would probably be my nick name as President...The Veto President. Why? Because I'd veto any bill/law that came to my desk that was over 5 pages long simply because my attention span when reading legalize drops off around that number of pages. I also consider it a great way to prevent the pols from either side slipping something in.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #30
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Do you want to be president?

    I would run on a dress code for women and ice cream platform.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •