View Poll Results: Do you believe in global warming, and if so, what is causing it.

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe in global warming, and that it is caused by man.

    28 49.12%
  • I believe in global warming, but I don't think humankind has anything to do with it.

    7 12.28%
  • I don't believe in global warming.

    5 8.77%
  • Other - Explain

    17 29.82%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 121

Thread: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

  1. #41
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're proving that you really have no clue what it is you're discussing. If it's cooler in your bathroom than your bedroom, do you think there are two weather systems at work inside your house?
    I find it very hard that you don't believe that there have been MANY weather cycles over the last 4.5 billion years. I am still waiting for you to show me any of those meteorologist from 2500 years ago or before who blamed humans for the weather cycles.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I find it very hard that you don't believe that there have been MANY weather cycles over the last 4.5 billion years.
    Hey! You're learning how to debate, only you're going the wrong way. What you've done is called a strawman argument. You've created a fictitious position that I myself never endorsed. As a matter of fact, I think my arguments in this thread have proven quite the opposite and I do acknowledge that weather cycles are an intrinsic part of meteorology. Heck, without them, there's not much of a point for meteorology is there? However, that literally has nothing to do with global warming. Summers tend to be hotter than winters, winters tend to have snow outside of the equatorial zone, animals migrate (another weather cycle), vegetation grows. Actually, it's pretty evident that weather cycles do happen. What is being discussed is whether this recent rise in temperatures is caused by man's activity or natural causes. As of right now, a good chunk of the evidence points to it being in part caused by man. Those are facts. Now that we have that out of the way...

    I am still waiting for you to show me any of those meteorologist from 2500 years ago
    I've actually shown you quite a few. That you've ignored them is your problem, not mine.

    or before who blamed humans for the weather cycles.
    Well, considering they blamed weather cycles on how happy/angry the gods were, that's not possible. However, why would I prove an statement that you made up? Actually, what does that have to do with your erroneous statement about weather only having been recorded for 100 years? Lmao. Nothing. Go home Lakeside, this isn't the place for second rate debating tactics.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 08-19-14 at 05:36 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #43
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    It's happening, it's our fault, and there's nothing we can do about it so governments should stop using it as a means to control people.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #44
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Hey! You're learning how to debate, only you're going the wrong way. What you've done is called a strawman argument. You've created a fictitious position that I myself never endorsed. As a matter of fact, I think my arguments in this thread have proven quite the opposite and I do believe that weather cycles are an intrinsic part of meteorology. Heck, without them, there's not much of a point for meteorology is there? Now that we have that out of the way...



    I've actually shown you quite a few. That you've ignored them is your problem, not mine.



    Well, considering they blamed weather cycles on how happy/angry the gods were, that's not possible. However, why would I prove an statement you yourself made up? Actually, what does that have to do with your erroneous statement about weather only having been recorded for 100 years? Lmao. Nothing. Go home Lakeside, this isn't the place for second rate debating tactics.
    You are struggling now. From your first reply to my post you have been all over the place. You have proved me right and disproved yourself. Now you are just struggling.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    You are struggling now. From your first reply to my post you have been all over the place. You have proved me right and disproved yourself. Now you are just struggling.
    1. You claimed that weather has only been recorded for 100 years. Status of the claim: False
    2. You asked for meteorologists from 2500 years ago (i.e. people who study the atmosphere) to be presented. Shown as evidence: Aristotle, Thales, Democritus, Hippocrates.
    3. You casted doubt on my acknowledgement of weather patter. Status of the claim: Unfounded as weather and the study of the weather are dependent on cycles of all sorts.

    I got a chuckle out of debating you. I really did. I usually stay out of these arguments unless people try to go the historical route on them. You decided to do that and were proven to not only be wrong but borderline ignorant of the science and what it entails even from a layman's perspective. Cut your losses and disappear from the thread.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #46
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    1. You claimed that weather has only been recorded for 100 years. Status of the claim: False
    2. You asked for meteorologists from 2500 years ago (i.e. people who study the atmosphere) to be presented. Shown as evidence: Aristotle, Thales, Democritus, Hippocrates.
    3. You casted doubt on my acknowledgement of weather patter. Status of the claim: Unfounded as weather and the study of the weather are dependent on cycles of all sorts.

    I got a chuckle out of debating you. I really did. I usually stay out of these arguments unless people try to go the historical route on them. You decided to do that and were proven to not only be wrong but borderline ignorant of the science and what it entails even from a layman's perspective. Cut your losses and disappear from the thread.
    Still waiting for YOUR recorded weather cycles of the past 2500 years. Can you show those recorded weather cycles?

  7. #47
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,584

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    1. You claimed that weather has only been recorded for 100 years. Status of the claim: False
    The period for which reasonably reliable instrumental records of near-surface temperature exist with quasi-global coverage is generally considered to begin around 1850. Earlier records exist, but with sparser coverage and less standardized instrumentation.
    Instrumental temperature record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #48
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Maybe I should have used the "instrumental" approach for my 100 years comment. But I do stick to my comment of Global Warming being Folklore.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Maybe I should have used the "instrumental" approach for my 100 years comment. But I do stick to my comment of Global Warming being Folklore.
    The fact that there is a global warming trend is not in question, it is undeniable. Whether or not it's human-caused, that's another matter entirely and to what degree it might be true, and whether we can actually do anything about it. The graph I posted earlier clearly shows the upward trend in recent history. You can believe it or not but your belief doesn't change the demonstrable reality.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #50
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Still waiting for YOUR recorded weather cycles of the past 2500 years.
    Good grief, it's like you're asking to be destroyed. This was written by Aristotle in the 4th century BC

    The Internet Classics Archive | Meteorology by Aristotle

    Everywhere, except in Pontus, dew is found with south winds and not with north winds. There the opposite is the case and it is found with north winds and not with south. The reason is the same as that which explains why dew is found in warm weather and not in cold. For the south wind brings warm, and the north, wintry weather. For the north wind is cold and so quenches the heat of the evaporation. But in Pontus the south wind does not bring warmth enough to cause evaporation, whereas the coldness of the north wind concentrates the heat by a sort of recoil, so that there is more evaporation and not less. This is a thing which we can often observe in other places too. Wells, for instance, give off more vapour in a north than in a south wind. Only the north winds quench the heat before any considerable quantity of vapour has gathered, while in a south wind the evaporation is allowed to accumulate.

    Water, once formed, does not freeze on the surface of the earth, in the way that it does in the region of the clouds.
    Hell, he even goes as far as discrediting celestial objects as the cause for weather patterns:

    For instance the great comet we mentioned before appeared to the west in winter in frosty weather when the sky was clear, in the archonship of Asteius. On the first day it set before the sun and was then not seen. On the next day it was seen, being ever so little behind the sun and immediately setting. But its light extended over a third part of the sky like a leap, so that people called it a 'path'. This comet receded as far as Orion's belt and there dissolved. Democritus however, insists upon the truth of his view and affirms that certain stars have been seen when comets dissolve. But on his theory this ought not to occur occasionally but always.
    He actually goes into pretty fine detail about it all:

    The exhalation of water is vapour: air condensing into water is cloud. Mist is what is left over when a cloud condenses into water, and is therefore rather a sign of fine weather than of rain; for mist might be called a barren cloud. So we get a circular process that follows the course of the sun. For according as the sun moves to this side or that, the moisture in this process rises or falls. We must think of it as a river flowing up and down in a circle and made up partly of air, partly of water. When the sun is near, the stream of vapour flows upwards; when it recedes, the stream of water flows down: and the order of sequence, at all events, in this process always remains the same. So if 'Oceanus' had some secret meaning in early writers, perhaps they may have meant this river that flows in a circle about the earth.
    That is man describing weather and weather cycles 24 centuries ago and in his own limited understanding of them. He's going as far as attacking other theories for what does and doesn't cause weather cycles. He goes even further and puts the notion of the gods as a cause for weather patterns as nothing more than allegory. You're way out of your league here. Go home, Lakeside.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •