View Poll Results: Do you believe in global warming, and if so, what is causing it.

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe in global warming, and that it is caused by man.

    28 49.12%
  • I believe in global warming, but I don't think humankind has anything to do with it.

    7 12.28%
  • I don't believe in global warming.

    5 8.77%
  • Other - Explain

    17 29.82%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 121

Thread: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

  1. #31
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That is how much sense your post makes. Scientific knowledge is not measured as correct/incorrect because of how long of a period we've known about a particular occurrence. We've had computers for less than 80 years and yet, it's easier for scientists to explain how a computer works than for archeologists to explain how the pyramids were built. The funny thing is that the pyramids were around for 3000 years. What that says is that whether we've recorded weather for 100 years or even 4000 years is irrelevant. We know more about it today than we've ever known about it. Actually, science has become so advanced at establishing weather patterns/conditions that it can tell us what the weather is like on other planets. We can tell what the temperature is like on those planets on any given day. We can tell it'll never rain on Mars. We can even say just how thick the ice will be on other planets and we've never even been past the moon. So yeah, how long we've known about a particular event/phenomenon is pretty much irrelevant in today's world and has been for a while. Hell, we've only known about DNA for 50-60 years and we've already cloned animals. So if that doesn't tell you how flawed your argument is, nothing does.
    Did you even read what you wrote before you hit "enter"? You are all over the place and proving my point and disproven your point. Rough night?

  2. #32
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    From what Ive read so far there just doesnt seem to be an conclusive evidence that there is a catastrophic occurrence of global warming so Im very skeptical about it.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So someone can tell you the high and low temperature, humidity and whether or not you got any rain in Redland's California on August 19 a couple hundred years ago?
    If someone in Redlands was writing it down, sure. We can get general planetary data through ice cores and other means going back many, many thousands of years. The idea that nobody had any clue what was going on weather-wise more than a century ago is absurd, otherwise how would we have any clue that the Little Ice Age happened, just a few hundred years ago?

    Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?-holocenetemperatures-png
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #34
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    From what Ive read so far there just doesnt seem to be an conclusive evidence that there is a catastrophic occurrence of global warming so Im very skeptical about it.
    Back in 2008, Al Gore was claiming that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013, which just so happened to be the year where the ice pack increased by 50% over previous year levels. Go figure.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Did you even read what you wrote before you hit "enter"? You are all over the place and proving my point and disproven your point. Rough night?
    Your Libertarian label is in full display. How do I know? You're either being intentionally obtuse or you refuse to read what is being said. What is being stated is that whether a scientific field is 100 years old or 300 is irrelevant in today's world. Scientific knowledge as we know it today is growing at a rate where most people can only discuss it in layman terms and there is very little room for unchallenged interpretations/claim. The minute a scientist publishes his findings, it's scrutinized by people globally. To this day, there hasn't been a single study of any sort that challenges global warming (man made or otherwise) as a fact. As such, it's not folklore as you erroneously stated. It's happening.

    With that said, the claim that weather has only been recorded for 100 years is irrelevant. Actually, it's blatantly false to begin with. Meteorology has been around in different forms and in different places for at least 2,500 years. However, that is beside the point.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Back in 2008, Al Gore was claiming that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2013, which just so happened to be the year where the ice pack increased by 50% over previous year levels. Go figure.
    Al Gore got the message out that global warming was a fact, however, I doubt that he wouldn't admit that he's been a terrible spokesperson. If he had focused on the more imminent and threatening implications of rising pollution levels and industrialization, I'm sure he would have made a better impact with the Libertarian crowds. However, he stuck with the doom and gloom side and it definitely made it unattractive to people. If you tell people that melting ice caps will make water levels flood, the evangelicals start getting their panties wet and think about building an arc. If you tell them that rising pollution levels mean that eventually more illegal immigrants are gonna be standing at the borders or trying to get into the US on ships, the same crowd suddenly switches into an environmentalist gear. It's a shame.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #37
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your Libertarian label is in full display. How do I know? You're either being intentionally obtuse or you refuse to read what is being said. What is being stated is that whether a scientific field is 100 years old or 300 is irrelevant in today's world. Scientific knowledge as we know it today is growing at a rate where most people can only discuss it in layman terms and there is very little room for unchallenged interpretations/claim. The minute a scientist publishes his findings, it's scrutinized by people globally. To this day, there hasn't been a single study of any sort that challenges global warming (man made or otherwise) as a fact. As such, it's not folklore as you erroneously stated. It's happening.

    With that said, the claim that weather has only been recorded for 100 years is irrelevant. Actually, it's blatantly false to begin with. Meteorology has been around in different forms and in different places for at least 2,500 years. However, that is beside the point.
    Can you name some of those meteorologist from 2500 years ago and who did they blame global warming on back then?

  8. #38
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Gee, maybe I should be grateful for "global warming". Just imagine how cold it would have been this past winter w/o "global warming".

  9. #39
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Can you name some of those meteorologist from 2500 years ago and
    Sigh. Well, here are a few minor characters..

    Meteorology - A brief history

    First discussed by Aristotle, 340 B.C.

    wrote a book entitled Meteorologica - summarized meteorological knowledge to date
    Timeline of meteorology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    600 BC – Thales may qualify as the first Greek meteorologist. He described the water cycle in a fairly accurate way. He also issued the first seasonal crop forecast.[2]
    400 BC – There is some evidence that Democritus predicted changes in the weather, and that he used this ability to convince people that he could predict other future events.[3]
    400 BC – Hippocrates writes a treatise called Airs, Waters and Places, the earliest known work to include a discussion of weather. More generally, he wrote about common diseases that occur in particular locations, seasons, winds and air.[3]
    350 BC – Aristotle writes Meteorology.
    A few civilizations which did the same..

    Weather Forecasting Through the Ages : Feature Articles

    Around 650 B.C., the Babylonians tried to predict short-term weather changes based on the appearance of clouds and optical phenomena such as haloes. By 300 B.C., Chinese astronomers had developed a calendar that divided the year into 24 festivals, each festival associated with a different type of weather.
    who did they blame global warming on back then?
    Hmmm interesting approach considering global warming wasn't known about until recently. Wait... is electricity folklore too? What about gravity? You're digging yourself way deeper and are way out of your league. Go home, Libertarian. This is no place for those who can't debate.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Do you believe in global warming, and If so, what is causing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Gee, maybe I should be grateful for "global warming". Just imagine how cold it would have been this past winter w/o "global warming".
    You're proving that you really have no clue what it is you're discussing. If it's cooler in your bathroom than your bedroom, do you think there are two weather systems at work inside your house?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •