View Poll Results: Is Ferguson about...

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Racism

    17 15.45%
  • Police injustice

    23 20.91%
  • Cultural differences

    12 10.91%
  • Class Warfare

    13 11.82%
  • Crazy people

    50 45.45%
  • All the above

    31 28.18%
  • Other

    17 15.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 313

Thread: Ferguson

  1. #11
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    All I will say is there has got to come a time where playing victim is no longer a legitimate defense to defending a violent culture.
    What culture?

  2. #12
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Ferguson

    All of the above.

    I've watched two nights of live feeds from Ferguson and I've seen passionate people, angry people, crazy people, stupid people, violent people, responsible people and people just wandering around wondering where their world went. It's ugly.

    Yeah, racism is part of it. At this point I'd say it's more the institutional kind of racism where people of one race just assume that people of another race hate them....and it's going both ways.

    Yeah, it's police injustice because I've seen cops being assholes but when you get right down to it, they're dealing with assholes on the other side. The problem is that they're lowering themselves to that level.

    Yeah, it's cultural differences. Folks in Ferguson apparently don't think twice about incidental crime. It's just part of their daily life and others don't understand that.

    Yeah, it's class warfare. Blacks are feeling like they're a subset of American culture. Of course all this crap in Ferguson isn't exactly going to change that point of view.

    And yeah, it's crazy people. How ANYBODY could figure that this kind of behavior is productive or positive or reminiscent of the civil rights struggle is absolutely bat**** crazy.

  3. #13
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson

    For me, to shoot and kill an unarmed man has to be justified by him grabbing for the officers weapon or using physically deadly force. Two head shots and four body shots seems excessive, but in the heat of the moment anyone might have done the same. Police are also not trained to wound but shoot to kill, because a wounded perp may continue on to cause harm.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #14
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,574
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    This is one of the most well written and sobering op-ed pieces I've read by a celebrity. I only posted the parts that seemed relevant before it got tl;dr.

    It's not that we don't want to get it right, it's that we don't know how to frame the problem correctly, due to certain unsavory aspects about our society that could lead to a solution.

    This is also endemic of a wider problem with the displeasure of the current governing system, similar to the civil protests and counter-culture of the 1960's. These situations could continue to spread and become more common (hope not), as the class/race/cultural distinctions become more disparaging.

    ps. If I don't respond, it's because my PC is down and I'm on an old laptop that barely functions.
    Independent autopsy shows Brown was shot in the front. Eye witness said Brown came toward officerhttp://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1686...uson-shooting/.
    Last edited by LowDown; 08-18-14 at 01:53 AM.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #15
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Independent autopsy shows Brown was shot in the front. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us...id=tw-bna&_r=2. Eye witnesses say Brown charged at officer.
    Could be the officer mistakingly saw the raised arms as an attack position and not a surrender, especially if he was moving forward?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #16
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    For me, to shoot and kill an unarmed man has to be justified by him grabbing for the officers weapon or using physically deadly force. Two head shots and four body shots seems excessive, but in the heat of the moment anyone might have done the same. Police are also not trained to wound but shoot to kill, because a wounded perp may continue on to cause harm.
    He already tried to get his weapon and injured the Officers face in the process.
    Then after, he doubled back and was approaching the Officer. Charged him, if you will.
    Since he had already established himself as a threat to the Officer's life, I see no problem with the Officer firing to eliminate the threat.
    Six shots in all is not excessive given the circumstances.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #17
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: Ferguson

    We'll have to wait for more info and the cops story, but the wounds support a narrative of the cop trying to slow him down by shooting him in the arm and finally shooting him in the head after he kept coming. I think we can safely assume that the shot to the head would have dropped him so the shots to his arm were the first shots.


    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    For me, to shoot and kill an unarmed man has to be justified by him grabbing for the officers weapon or using physically deadly force. Two head shots and four body shots seems excessive, but in the heat of the moment anyone might have done the same. Police are also not trained to wound but shoot to kill, because a wounded perp may continue on to cause harm.

  8. #18
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    He already tried to get his weapon and injured the Officers face in the process.
    Then after, he doubled back and was approaching the Officer. Charged him, if you will.
    Since he had already established himself as a threat to the Officer's life, I see no problem with the Officer firing to eliminate the threat.
    Six shots in all is not excessive given the circumstances.
    If he was already shot, started to leave the car, then it doesn't make sense that he would turn and charge the car/officer? Unless he was told to "halt" or "freeze", then believed he would be shot again and thought taking the gun would help. Nobody is corroborating the exact details of what occurred.

    Regardless, what's occurring with the demonstrations turning into riots is not a good response. People often do that when they feel powerless, but the looters are opportunists.


    Quote Originally Posted by TobyOne View Post
    We'll have to wait for more info and the cops story, but the wounds support a narrative of the cop trying to slow him down by shooting him in the arm and finally shooting him in the head after he kept coming. I think we can safely assume that the shot to the head would have dropped him so the shots to his arm were the first shots.
    That seems like a reasonable scenario.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #19
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    If he was already shot, started to leave the car, then it doesn't make sense that he would turn and charge the car/officer? Unless he was told to "halt" or "freeze", then believed he would be shot again and thought taking the gun would help. Nobody is corroborating the exact details of what occurred.
    I didn't say that he was already shot, but it has been reported that he was.

    As far as his turning and charging not making sense?

    We have the third person hearsay account of what she was told by the Officer. Alone that can be ignored, but it is corroborated by an eye witness who is heard telling other folks exactly what he saw.
    Brown turned and was progressing (charging) towards the Officer as the Officer fired at him. He thought the Officer was missing because Brown kept moving toward him.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #20
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,035

    Re: Ferguson

    If Brown is found to have been guilty of threatening the cop's life, or some other transgression that led to a legitimate shooting...how can this be about any of the poll choices?

    The rioting may be but not the actual event....we have no idea what the facts are yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •