View Poll Results: Is Ferguson about...

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Racism

    17 15.45%
  • Police injustice

    23 20.91%
  • Cultural differences

    12 10.91%
  • Class Warfare

    13 11.82%
  • Crazy people

    50 45.45%
  • All the above

    31 28.18%
  • Other

    17 15.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 313

Thread: Ferguson

  1. #131
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    And I never said shooting to wound is taught. I said shooting to kill (which the officer did) and shooting 6 times is generally not acceptable. Since there has been no hard evidence that this was a special case where such force was necessary, it is only fair to say the officer likely acted improperly.
    You're wrong. There is nothing generally unacceptable about shooting a suspect 6 times. If a police officer has judged it to be a deadly force situation, six times is not extreme at all. The evidence that the officer judged this to be a deadly force situation is that the officer chose to deploy his weapon and commence firing. Whether that assessment was justified is what is at issue.

  2. #132
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    So by that token, then, we shouldn't listen to those who are giving any statements. I mean, by what you are saying, of course. It's not a fair assumption to make to say that the officer wasn't rushed, either.
    We should listen to them, but no we should not draw any conclusions from them. All we know is that this guy was shot 6 times. We also know that shooting somebody that many times is unusual and generally a questionable if not unlawful use of force.

    Never said that he wasn't. But either way, the man is a doctor. He cannot, should not, say that the officer shouldn't have fired upon the suspect as many times as he did, because he is simply a doctor, and nothing more. A paid doctor - paid for by the victim's family. He's not even LEO.
    A doctor who deals specifically with this sort of situation involving police. A doctor who files reports and understands the legal framework surrounding them and his job. And actually, the doctor is not being paid by the victims family--he is not charging anyone anything in this case.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #133
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    If you teach someone something, that isn't encouraging it? Really? Sounds like doublespeak to me.
    No, "encouraging" was doublespeak. There are policy and training manuals, no encouragement manual as far as I've heard.

  4. #134
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Who said it did?

    I was answering another poster that said 6 bullets was overkill in this situation because the suspect was 18 years old.
    No, you were answering me, and I responded that 6 bullets itself is overkill regardless of the age of the person shot. You then said "if the suspect continues to charge, the officer will continue to shoot." Your assumption is that the officer was being charged. I pointed out that we do not know that to be true, and the autopsy does not verify that claim either.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #135
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    We should listen to them, but no we should not draw any conclusions from them. All we know is that this guy was shot 6 times. We also know that shooting somebody that many times is unusual and generally a questionable if not unlawful use of force.
    Entirely wrong on that last.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    A doctor who deals specifically with this sort of situation involving police. A doctor who files reports and understands the legal framework surrounding them and his job. And actually, the doctor is not being paid by the victims family--he is not charging anyone anything in this case.
    That last has a probability that approaches zero. The court will never accept it otherwise. You have to be working for someone, the defendant, the plaintiff, the state.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    No, you were answering me, and I responded that 6 bullets itself is overkill regardless of the age of the person shot. You then said "if the suspect continues to charge, the officer will continue to shoot." Your assumption is that the officer was being charged. I pointed out that we do not know that to be true, and the autopsy does not verify that claim either.
    That is what the officer has said so it is not an assumption.

  7. #137
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,317

    Re: Ferguson

    No I'm just saying it supports the police narrative. As I said somewhere else, the evidence supports more than one narrative and includes the police narrative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    The evidence at this point does not support either narrative. You are assuming the narrative given by the police officer is true, and then twisting the autopsy results to match that narrative when they really shed no light either way.

  8. #138
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,562

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    We should listen to them, but no we should not draw any conclusions from them. All we know is that this guy was shot 6 times. We also know that shooting somebody that many times is unusual and generally a questionable if not unlawful use of force.
    Do you know anything about law enforcement at all? I mean, other than what you have seen on TV?

    A doctor who deals specifically with this sort of situation involving police. A doctor who files reports and understands the legal framework surrounding them and his job. And actually, the doctor is not being paid by the victims family--he is not charging anyone anything in this case.
    Semantics. He is here at the request of the family. Whether or not he is being paid is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  9. #139
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    ?? You just backpeddled everywhere.

    Of course we all know that his use of force still needs to be proven. That's your only comment? The obvious?

    What a waste of time.
    No I didn't. Here was what you first responded to that I said "The shooting someone 6 times is the problem, not the age." I said shooting someone 6 times is the problem. In the post you just quoted, I gave the reason for my original claim--"shooting someone 6 times is generally unacceptable."

    Where is the backpeddling?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #140
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Ferguson

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Do you know anything about law enforcement at all? I mean, other than what you have seen on TV?



    Semantics. He is here at the request of the family. Whether or not he is being paid is irrelevant.
    I was once asked to do a forensics report on a hard drive, I said I'd do it for free, for the experience. The attorney insisted I be paid, said the court would not accept it unless it was clear who commissioned the work, and that means paid for in the court's eyes.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •