View Poll Results: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police work in black neighborhoods?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 34.38%
  • No

    20 62.50%
  • I was abducted by aliens. Let me tell you about it!

    1 3.13%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 144

Thread: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

  1. #51
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I will wait till the investigation is done before drawing any hard conclusion. We do not know all the facts surrounding the shooting.
    The fact this 18-year old was shot 6 times by the police officer--twice in the head, speaks for itself. That is completely unacceptable.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #52
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    If the police action is in response to, and in an attempt to prevent such looting and damage, then yes, their use of teargas and rubber bullets are acceptable.
    No, it isn't. The police cannot kill all free speech to stop a few looters. Say there is a terrorist in times square. To stop the terrorist, would it be acceptable to kill all of the people in times square to kill the terrorist? No. Just because the cause for action is legitimate, does not mean the course of action is.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #53
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    When some are rioting then the peaceful protestors should listen to the cops and ****ING DISPERSE. Get a license, notify the police and have a peaceful demonstration the next day.
    No excuse to attack peaceful protestors in such a militarized fashion. You are so eager to give up your freedoms..it frightens me.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  4. #54
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Bull****. I haven't seen anything peaceful, with the exception of yesterday's church service.

    It might have started out as a peaceful protest, but has turned into a full scale riot.
    Then you have selective attention. If all you are watching is clips of the looters, and clips of the crowd's reaction after the police shoot at them with tear gas missiles and smoke bombs, you aren't going to see peaceful protesting.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #55
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,693

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You clearly do not know what evidence is or are playing a stupid game.
    Yes it is evidence.
    It doesn't have to be admitted in any court to be evidence.

    Lets put it this way? What the heck do you think non-admitted evidence is?
    Let me clue you in, it is evidence that the court disallowed to be used in court proceedings. Still evidence though. Duh!

    You stated this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    What evidence do you not know about?
    He attacked the Officer and pushed him back into his vehicle, went for his gun and injured the Officers face which requiring hospitalization.
    After the Officer was able to get out of his vehicle, brown didn't surrender but instead progressed towards (charged) the officer as the Officer fired.
    It will be evidence in the investigation, and will remain evidence during the trial.


    The Officer's account is also evidence.
    It will be evidence in the investigation, and will remain evidence during the trial.

    So stop with your silly little game.
    You answered my question with a statement as if it was fact, as if it was the only account for that and verified by the police chief, like it was the only evidence 'known.' *snicker*

    It may indeed change over the course of investigation, new eyewitness reports, or in court.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Did I say Official report, or Evidence that is known? You might want to pay attention to what has been said so you do not make the same mistake.

    And that evidence that is known isn't going to change.
    So, dont forget......always make sure your evidence is KNOWN! lol
    Last edited by Lursa; 08-18-14 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added 2nd quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,693

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I will wait till the investigation is done before drawing any hard conclusion. We do not know all the facts surrounding the shooting.
    ?? The looting is not justifiable as a protest for a crime or injustice in any circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #57
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,984

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Didn't the news report some eye witnessess stated Brown was shot in the back? Not true according to the medical examiner. So the question becomes how reliable is the eye witness statements?

    Some have been concerned that the release of the robbery tape is out to defaim Brown.

    imo, releasing any information before the investigation is completed can taint eye witness recollection, future jury pool in a civil/criminal case.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,693

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Didn't the news report some eye witnessess stated Brown was shot in the back? Not true according to the medical examiner. So the question becomes how reliable is the eye witness statements?

    Some have been concerned that the release of the robbery tape is out to defaim Brown.

    imo, releasing any information before the investigation is completed can taint eye witness recollection, future jury pool in a civil/criminal case.
    Exactly. the statements all need to go thru the investigation and legal rigor. But good physical evidence is what will help sort out the BS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #59
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    I think things like this only serve to worsen relations between police and civilians.

    The police feel threatened by the violence directed towards them, and feel more paranoid and afraid in the future, making it more likely that they'll respond with lethal force when in a confrontation.

    And everyone else trusts the police less than ever, because of the original shooting, their poor handling of the aftermath, and the escalating violence which many will blame the cops for.

    It just feeds on itself.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,804

    re: Will Ferguson have a chilling effect on police?[W:144]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    No excuse to attack peaceful protestors in such a militarized fashion. You are so eager to give up your freedoms..it frightens me.
    Spoken like a person that has never experienced a violent public situation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •