View Poll Results: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 85.71%
  • No

    8 9.52%
  • Other

    4 4.76%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 171

Thread: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

  1. #141
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    To read this thread, it sounds like all 900,000 cops in this country are out of control, bad people who need us watching them constantly with our big brothers.

    I hope nobody who thinks they are so awful ever plans to call them in a time of need.

    We have a few teachers that do bad things. Let's put cameras on all teachers. We have few fast food workers who urinate in the dishwashers and drop burgers on the floor. Lets make all fast food workers wear cameras. We have a few babysitters who hurt the children in their charge. Let's make all babysitters, nannies and day care workers wear cameras. We have a few mailmen who were caught tossing out mail. Let's make all mailmen wear cameras and have them mounted in their trucks.

    FFS. The level of paranoia is amazing.

  2. #142
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    To read this thread, it sounds like all 900,000 cops in this country are out of control, bad people who need us watching them constantly with our big brothers.

    I hope nobody who thinks they are so awful ever plans to call them in a time of need.

    We have a few teachers that do bad things. Let's put cameras on all teachers. We have few fast food workers who urinate in the dishwashers and drop burgers on the floor. Lets make all fast food workers wear cameras. We have a few babysitters who hurt the children in their charge. Let's make all babysitters, nannies and day care workers wear cameras. We have a few mailmen who were caught tossing out mail. Let's make all mailmen wear cameras and have them mounted in their trucks.

    FFS. The level of paranoia is amazing.
    There are in fact a large number of instances where the story of the police differs from the story of the victim/suspect. The camera would say with certainty what happened. If the cop in Ferguson had been wearing a camera, it might have shown the kid beating up the police officer. It would have explained everything, and could have prevented all of this violence. In cities where cameras have been installed, there have been far less instances of excessive force lawsuits. That is good for budgets as well as for the public. Furthermore, cops report that people are less confrontational as well. Why? (a) if they do something illegal, they know there will be evidence, and (b) they will feel less threatened by the cop, because they know his actions are limited for the same reason.

    These cameras ensure fairness and safety, make our judicial system more efficient, and make our cops better cops and our citizens better citizens. It is a great idea, and I think every police department in the country should require its officers to wear cameras.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #143
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    To read this thread, it sounds like all 900,000 cops in this country are out of control, bad people who need us watching them constantly with our big brothers.

    I hope nobody who thinks they are so awful ever plans to call them in a time of need.

    We have a few teachers that do bad things. Let's put cameras on all teachers. We have few fast food workers who urinate in the dishwashers and drop burgers on the floor. Lets make all fast food workers wear cameras. We have a few babysitters who hurt the children in their charge. Let's make all babysitters, nannies and day care workers wear cameras. We have a few mailmen who were caught tossing out mail. Let's make all mailmen wear cameras and have them mounted in their trucks.

    FFS. The level of paranoia is amazing.
    Teachers dont wrongfully put people in jail at the telling of 1 lie.... Common man. You are equating dropping a burger on the ground to some cop putting a person behind bars wrongfully (or death) Your post is sooo illogical. All police wearing personal cams is very, very logical.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #144
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Wow, the police sound like awful racist people who never do anything good or right.
    Some police are that bad. Most are good.

    Some people are that bad, too. Most are good.

    We have laws and processes to protect the good people (to some degree), and to prosecute the relative few bad people. Right now police enjoy certain levels of immunity and presumed benefit of the doubt that the average person does not enjoy. Are you saying we shouldn't have equal protection of good people and good police from bad police?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #145
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Teachers dont wrongfully put people in jail at the telling of 1 lie.... Common man. You are equating dropping a burger on the ground to some cop putting a person behind bars wrongfully (or death) Your post is sooo illogical. All police wearing personal cams is very, very logical.
    A few teachers have been caught abusing children. Fact. A FEW. Just like a FEW cops have made bad arrests. A FEW.

    I hope you never have to call on the cops in a time of need. It sounds as if you think they are all bad people who need to be monitored like criminals. God forbid you need them.

  6. #146
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A few teachers have been caught abusing children. Fact. A FEW. Just like a FEW cops have made bad arrests. A FEW.

    I hope you never have to call on the cops in a time of need. It sounds as if you think they are all bad people who need to be monitored like criminals. God forbid you need them.
    Your tactics are very lame.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  7. #147
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Some police are that bad. Most are good.

    Some people are that bad, too. Most are good.

    We have laws and processes to protect the good people (to some degree), and to prosecute the relative few bad people. Right now police enjoy certain levels of immunity and presumed benefit of the doubt that the average person does not enjoy. Are you saying we shouldn't have equal protection of good people and good police from bad police?
    I'm saying that some people are making it out, here and in other threads, that cops are vile, evil, non-trustworthy people.

    I don't know why anyone would want to be a cop in this country. It's pathetic the way people are acting like all 300+ million of us have a reason to fear them.

    That's my assessment of the crap I've read for 5 days on here.

  8. #148
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    There are in fact a large number of instances where the story of the police differs from the story of the victim/suspect. The camera would say with certainty what happened. If the cop in Ferguson had been wearing a camera, it might have shown the kid beating up the police officer. It would have explained everything, and could have prevented all of this violence. In cities where cameras have been installed, there have been far less instances of excessive force lawsuits. That is good for budgets as well as for the public. Furthermore, cops report that people are less confrontational as well. Why? (a) if they do something illegal, they know there will be evidence, and (b) they will feel less threatened by the cop, because they know his actions are limited for the same reason.

    These cameras ensure fairness and safety, make our judicial system more efficient, and make our cops better cops and our citizens better citizens. It is a great idea, and I think every police department in the country should require its officers to wear cameras.
    You know why I think they should have cameras? To prevent people from calling them executioners. Like I've seen repeatedly on this board.

    I know many cops and they are good people. There has been too much generalization about them on here. I call it like I see it.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Wow, the police sound like awful racist people who never do anything good or right.
    Most workers are only as good as their supervisors and managers get them to be, and many of our laws are written to prevent the small portion of the public, or the small portion of a particular group, that acts irresponsibly from doing harm.

    History matters. Police departments have historically had a role in enforcing racism and a class system that was/is supported by the mainstream. A typical example is the suburban police departments that stopped nearly every black or brown person who entered their all-white town.* Many of our laws, such as laws against marijuana or loitering are intended to harass, or allow police harassment of, minorities, poor people and people who are different (gays, hippies, punks etc).

    Even though bad cops may be a small portion of the force, they can have a huge impact on police-community relations and do a lot of damage to individuals or targeted groups. The angry response of the community to the Rodney King and Ferguson incidents were a result of a long history of police abuse of a community and the cost of the resulting damage is high enough to justify an investment in prevention.

    A lot of people go into police work because they have an unhealthy desire for power over others or disrespect for segments of the community. I don't know if this is still accurate, but long ago I read that it was impossible to create psychological tests to differentiate criminals from the police because they tested as being the same type of person. Perhaps most significantly, a small portion of a police force can infect the culture of a whole department and cause the spread of their bad practices.

    Oakland Riders
    "....The Washington Post described them: "At the high point of their careers, the so-called "Riders" were considered the best and the brightest, veterans whom rookie police officers tried to emulate. Their specialty: bringing in reputed drug dealers in record numbers from the crime-plagued streets of West Oakland.[2]

    The alleged abuses came to light after a rookie officer, just 10 days on the job and fresh out of the police academy, resigned and reported his former co-workers' activities to the police department's Internal Affairs Division.

    A string of incidents of police misconduct by the group of four Oakland PD officers known as "the Oakland Riders" came to light.[3] 119 people pressed civil rights lawsuits for unlawful beatings and detention, ultimately settling for $11 million with an agreement that the Oakland Police Department would implement significant reforms...."
    Allen v. City of Oakland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Rampart Scandal
    "The LAPD Rampart scandal refers to widespread corruption in the Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums (or C*R*A*S*H) anti-gang unit of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Rampart Division in the late 1990s. More than 70 police officers either assigned to or associated with the Rampart CRASH unit were implicated in some form of misconduct, making it one of the most widespread cases of documented police misconduct in United States history. The convicted offenses include unprovoked shootings, unprovoked beatings, planting of false evidence, framing of suspects, stealing and dealing narcotics, bank robbery, perjury, and the covering up of evidence of these activities.[1]

    ...The Rampart scandal resulted in more than 140 civil lawsuits against the city of Los Angeles, costing the city an estimated $125 million in settlements.[4]

    ..As of 2014, the full extent of Rampart corruption is not known, and several rape, murder and robbery investigations involving Rampart officers remain unsolved...."
    Rampart scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




    *September 10, 2005
    "Police in Suburbs Blocked Evacuees, Witnesses Report
    By GARDINER HARRIS

    Police agencies to the south of New Orleans were so fearful of the crowds trying to leave the city after Hurricane Katrina that they sealed a crucial bridge over the Mississippi River and turned back hundreds of desperate evacuees, two paramedics who were in the crowd said.

    The paramedics and two other witnesses said officers sometimes shot guns over the heads of fleeing people, who, instead of complying immediately with orders to leave the bridge, pleaded to be let through, the paramedics and two other witnesses said. The witnesses said they had been told by the New Orleans police to cross that same bridge because buses were waiting for them there.

    Instead, a suburban police officer angrily ordered about 200 people to abandon an encampment between the highways near the bridge. The officer then confiscated their food and water, the four witnesses said. The incidents took place in the first days after the storm last week, they said....."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/na...ted=print&_r=0
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 08-20-14 at 02:28 PM.

  10. #150
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should All Police Have to Wear Body Cameras?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You know why I think they should have cameras? To prevent people from calling them executioners. Like I've seen repeatedly on this board.

    I know many cops and they are good people. There has been too much generalization about them on here. I call it like I see it.
    I don't think anyone said that all cops are bad people or would disagree that many cops are good people. The point is that cops do often act far too aggressively. Take this for example.
    Cop Pointing Rifle At Ferguson Protestors: "I Will ****ing Kill You"
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •