View Poll Results: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    11 61.11%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    4 22.22%
  • Im not American, yes.

    1 5.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    1 5.56%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    1 5.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    0 0%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    It is nonsense. It speaks to an incredibly unsophisticated way of viewing the world. Structure exists. Only the blind deny this, yet unsophisticated thinkers cannot process the ways in which structure constricts peoples ability to act. The de jure racism, segregation, and marginalization has largely been done away with. The structures and discourses in society which create de facto racism, segregation, and marginalization still exist. Those structures reproduce poverty, political marginalization, undereducation, etc. Ignoring the fact that 400 years of slavery and segregation left black people in an untenable economic situation, is simply stupid. Expecting black people to overcome their lack of privilege the moment legal obstacles were removed, despite their still existent lack of structural, economic, and political privilege is simply stupid. The lack of legal obstacles is why extraordinary black people like Neil Degrasse Tyson can succeed as they do. The existence of all the other obstacles still in existence, is why average black people do not have the same access to opportunity that average white people do. That is what is important. In our society extraordinary people are likely to succeed no matter their racial or economic background. There are also people from all backgrounds likely to not be successful. It is for the rest of people where the hundreds of years of structural and economic limitations are most clearly viewable. However, it takes a small amount of sophistication of thought to realize this reality.
    I don't deny that pockets and/or acts of racism and injustices against Blacks don't exist. They have and they do. I've even discussed some aspects of racial biasness and/or bigotry throughout this forum. However, I think the Preacher was speaking directly to internal issues many Blacks still struggle with today where some of us point the finger at someone else for our troubles instead of turning that finger back unto ourselves. In some respects, we as a People still get in our own way. A good example is the looting and burning of businesses in Ferguson that likely were Black-owned businesses or businesses frequented by Black patrons. What exactly was the point of taking one more business out of the community? What was the point of creating job loss among a demographic group that is already experiencing high unemployment? Did burning down that business help change the image of Blacks as violent people? What good did burning down a business establishment do for venting their frustration against what they view as an unjust police force?

    Again, I get the larger point the Preacher was trying to make: The more you act in the way "THEY" expect you to act, the more you prove "THEM" right in their perception of you. Act differently and you'll be perceived differently.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No, you dont understand. The single biggest factor associated with poverty is single parenthood. This is science, from people who at least understand it. Stop creating excuses and start being part of the solution-because we know that the lefts war on poverty has made things so much worse.
    I disagree. The single biggest factor associated with poverty is the lack of skills that lead to a higher wage job. I know single parents who do quite well just as I know two-parent households that are struggling financially.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  3. #43
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No, you dont understand. The single biggest factor associated with poverty is single parenthood. This is science, from people who at least understand it. Stop creating excuses and start being part of the solution-because we know that the lefts war on poverty has made things so much worse.

    No I understand perfectly!! You clearly don't. If poverty CAUSES single parenthood, then that supports exactly what I am saying!! The structures that create poverty are the problem, not silly cultural explanations.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I disagree. The single biggest factor associated with poverty is the lack of skills that lead to a higher wage job. I know single parents who do quite well just as I know two-parent households that are struggling financially.
    Link, please. Your anecdotes dont trump research.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    No I understand perfectly!! You clearly don't. If poverty CAUSES single parenthood, then that supports exactly what I am saying!!
    I said the precise opposite.

  6. #46
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I said the precise opposite.

    Yes, but without even a shred of evidence, reason, or argument to support that proposition. There is clearly a connection between the two, but which causes which is something that needs to be demonstrated. Something you never did. Which was exactly my original point.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    Yes, but without even a shred of evidence, reason, or argument to support that proposition. There is clearly a connection between the two, but which causes which is something that needs to be demonstrated. Something you never did. Which was exactly my original point.
    2 seconds on google would have elucidated.

    If growing up in a single parent household you have a 6x greater chance of being in poverty, this is even worse in minorities, and blacks have a near 80% born out of wedlock incidence.

    http://www3.uakron.edu/schulze/401/r...ngleparfam.htm
    Marriage and Poverty in the U.S.
    Marriage Reduces Child Poverty: United States
    Harvard study: Single parents a hindrance to social mobility | WashingtonExaminer.com
    On Child Poverty, MSM Ignores the Basic Truth | National Review Online
    2-Parent Families Are Best Predictor of Upward Mobility for Poor, Harvard Study Finds
    On Child Poverty, MSM Ignores the Basic Truth | National Review Online



  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Matrixed Media Events

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    They have no right to protest in sympathy for a wannabe cop-killer. They pretend to act as if the cops saw a little old lady walking to church and gunned her down just for target practice. Those media-hounds are just abetting criminality in this well-publicized spectacle.
    I beg to differ. You have the right to protest anything and also, there is no proof that he is a wanna cop-killer. In fact, the vast amount of evidence begs to the contrary.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Can we please stop it with this "left-leaning right-leaning" BS? I am tired of not being able to vote in polls because the options are so limiting.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #50
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do you agree with this Preachers comments on the Ferguson situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You could go to a (several are better) political survey site and if it says you are directly in the center, come back and tell everyone about it.

    Or you could not vote and say something?
    Or perhaps seeing the world in a black and white left-right spectrum is simplistic and does not capture the entirety of what people believe? Food for thought.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •